Re: Sieans gigaset Query.

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Gordon Henderson, Sep 10, 2008.

  1. In article <ga86rf$ok6$>,
    www.GymRatZ.co.uk <> wrote:
    >Can anyone confirm thefollowing?
    >From what I have read it seems the siemans gigaset is is capable of
    >running 2x voip calls and one x POTS call through the same box.

    It depends on the model. Tim's the expert on them, but I suspect you're
    looking at the C475IP model...

    Eg.

    http://www.provu.co.uk/siemens-gigaset-C475IP.html

    >i.e. if we have 3 people in the shop and voip as main incoming number
    >then if we had 3 handsets connected to the same bae station all hand
    >sets would ring for incoming calls wheter on 2 x voip lines or POTS line.
    >
    >Also.... :¬) the way my draytek router works, if incoming number
    >already has a call then the same number will still ring on the free voip
    >port.

    Does it? I don't know how the newer Drayteks handle this stuff.
    Personally if using a VoIP phone, i'd disable the SIP ports on the
    Draytek.

    >or does each incoming voip "line" need a seperate number?

    From a technical point, it doesn't, (ie. one number can ring a number of
    phones), but a lot will depends on the hardware you have and maybe the
    arrangement you have with the VoIP telephony provider.

    >hope that makes sense.

    I think so - too many variables though...

    Maybe best off telling us what you've got and what you want, or
    expect...

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Sep 10, 2008

  2. In article <ga8cu7$pbj$>,
    www.GymRatZ.co.uk <> wrote:

    >Gordon Henderson wrote:
    >
    >> Maybe best off telling us what you've got and what you want, or
    >> expect...

    >Good idea Gordon.
    >I currently have a Draytek Vigour 2910vg
    >One voip port has 4 handsets on a regular DECT phone and the other port
    >has a single dect phone
    >The BT line has another set of DECT hand sets on it.

    So three phone systems and lets play find the right handset when you
    want to make an outgoing call :)

    (and call transfer is by phycially throwing a handset to a colleague ;-)

    >if a call comes in on either of our voipfone numbers (both on the same
    >account) the draytek sets that SIP account to ring on both ports.
    >Hence if 2 people phone on the same incoming number both ports will
    >ring. A 3rd simultaneous call would go to voipfone mailbox.
    >
    >BT line has it's own number which if engaged will do a BT (talktalk)
    >divert to the voipfone number so again, choice of 2 DECT phones to take
    >the call on.
    >
    >Ideally.... combining all 3 lines into one set of cordless handsets
    >with dial out always going over voip (different accounts for different
    >numbers) currently landline and mobiles going through smslisto and
    >freephone and 0845,0870 etc calls through voipfone.
    >
    >If one system would allow the answering of all inbound calls whether
    >pots or voip on one set of say 4 handsets life would be so much easier
    >and less cluttered!

    It sounds like one of those Siemens units would work for you then.
    Register the 2 VoIP accounts in it, and plug in the BT analogue line.

    Not sure what they do when getting a 2nd call on an account that's
    currently in-use though. If you can program them to simply ring all
    phones then that would work. You might even be able to get them to tell
    you which line is ringing on an incoming call, if you're using the 3
    numbers for 3 different companies so you can ay the right thing when you
    answer.

    Another option might be one of the little hybrid PBX-like devices -
    Fritz box, or some-such? I've no real experience of them though.

    Or I could sell you a nice PBX to hook it all together but you're not
    going to get much change out of a grand by the time you've bought phones
    for it too :)

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Sep 10, 2008

  3. In article <ga8j7q$utv$>,
    www.GymRatZ.co.uk <> wrote:

    >www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
    >
    >> I will have to try and investigate the gigaset route further.
    >> But inital views seem fairly favouravble.

    >On further investigation I found the following about the gigaset
    >"2 internet calls in parallel or 1 fixed-line call and 1 VoIP call in
    >parallel with multiple handsets"

    Hm. I've a funny feeling that might be a DECT limitation - only 2 calls
    off one base station...

    I think that's a limitation with the Snom DECT repeater unit too.

    Then again, the Snom M3 allows for 3 concurrent VoIP calls, but there's
    no analogue port on the base station

    >Which would still leave me only having 2 line capabillity.
    >Although the chance of all 3 lines being used is quite a rare occurrence
    >but it does happen on occasion. Something that a call/line hold on busy
    >would sort out though.

    Not sure what to suggest now! Ivor might know the capabilities of a
    Fritz box - one analogue in plus 2 VoIP accounts -> local phones?

    Or ... create a 3rd VoIP account. Put the BT line on divert to this
    number. Then get a Snom DECT phone & handsets and just register 3 accounts
    with the VoIP provider.

    You'll end up paying for the re-direct from the BT landline to the VoIP
    account for every call though, and Snom handsets are a PITA to select
    which outgoing account to use, but ...

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Sep 10, 2008
  4. Gordon Henderson

    Dave Saville Guest

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 13:48:30 UTC, "www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
    <> wrote:

    > www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
    >
    > > I will have to try and investigate the gigaset route further.
    > > But inital views seem fairly favouravble.

    > On further investigation I found the following about the gigaset
    > "2 internet calls in parallel or 1 fixed-line call and 1 VoIP call in
    > parallel with multiple handsets"
    >
    > Which would still leave me only having 2 line capabillity.
    > Although the chance of all 3 lines being used is quite a rare occurrence
    > but it does happen on occasion. Something that a call/line hold on busy
    > would sort out though.

    You can set which phones ring on which "line".

    ISTR that they advertise 2 - 1 VOIP and 1 POTS, but there has been a
    software upgrade that lets you have 2 VOIP and 1 POTS. I also recently
    discovered that my S450IP will do 2 VOIP *to the same provider*. I
    have *no* idea how they get that to work - same IP and port for both
    calls. :)

    --
    Regards
    Dave Saville

    Dave Saville, Sep 10, 2008
  5. Gordon Henderson

    alexd Guest

    Re: Siemens gigaset Query.

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 20:31:26 +0000, Dave Saville wrote:

    > I also recently discovered that my S450IP will do 2 VOIP *to the same
    > provider*. I have *no* idea how they get that to work - same IP and port
    > for both calls. :)

    The same way that your VoIP provider can accept calls from you and their
    other customers at the same time, or they way a website can accept connections
    from more than one browser at the same time, etc.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    22:03:30 up 3 days, 6:15, 1 user, load average: 1.06, 1.04, 1.00
    alexd, Sep 10, 2008
  6. Gordon Henderson

    Tim Guest

    www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
    > If one system would allow the answering of all inbound calls whether
    > pots or voip on one set of say 4 handsets life would be so much easier
    > and less cluttered!

    Siemens C475IP will do this.

    1 SIP account on the phone can handle multiple calls.

    With a bit of BT diverting to ITSP and ITSP including BT in a huntgroup
    with the Voip extension, then you will get a 3 line system.

    Tim
    Tim, Sep 10, 2008
  7. Gordon Henderson

    Tim Guest

    www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

    > On further investigation I found the following about the gigaset
    > "2 internet calls in parallel or 1 fixed-line call and 1 VoIP call in
    > parallel with multiple handsets"

    I think this is wrong.

    I just made 3 calls on through my Siemens Gigaset C475IP.

    1 fixed line
    2 Voip (actually using the same SIP account as each other.

    I ran all 3 calls for a few minutes and seems absolutely fine.

    Tim
    (who admits to having enough phones and phone numbers to do such a test)
    Tim, Sep 10, 2008
  8. Gordon Henderson

    Tim Guest

    Dave Saville wrote:

    > ISTR that they advertise 2 - 1 VOIP and 1 POTS, but there has been a
    > software upgrade that lets you have 2 VOIP and 1 POTS. I also recently
    > discovered that my S450IP will do 2 VOIP *to the same provider*. I
    > have *no* idea how they get that to work - same IP and port for both
    > calls. :)

    You've always been able to run 2 voip calls to the same provider using a
    Siemens S450IP. From a SIP point of view, it is nothing special. You
    can even run 2 calls to the same provider from the same account
    (providing the provider doesn't specifically restrict this).

    In exactly the same way as on a Snom phone you can put one call on hold
    and make a second one on the same account.

    IP and port doesn't matter for SIP. Each call with have a different
    callid and tag.

    For RTP, the phone will use different ports for each call.

    Tim
    Tim, Sep 10, 2008
  9. Gordon Henderson

    Tim Guest

    www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

    > Jono wrote:
    >> www.GymRatZ.co.uk used his keyboard to write :
    >>> I may be coming to you for some set-up tips in the very near future.

    >> Hope you've bought them from him then..:)

    > Who knows?
    > I don't.

    He didn't. But every single one of them made to UK spec has come
    through us one way or another.

    I can always invoice consultancy for complicated questions. :)

    Tim
    Tim, Sep 11, 2008