Re: [SI] You Favorites (and mine) are ready for viewing

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by tony cooper, Oct 27, 2009.

  1. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 20:17:57 -0400, "Bowser" <> wrote:

    >A very nice collection this month; best I've seen in a while. Take a look
    >here:
    >
    >http://www.pbase.com/shootin/your_favorite
    >
    >My personal favorites are Tony's "Biker" and Michael's "karate kid."
    >(because my own son went through the black belt program and I've got a few
    >like that one...)

    Ta for that, and now to something completely different.

    If I lived in a big city, I could spend all of the time I allocate to
    photography to street photography. Nothing is more rewarding to me
    than catching a good candid shot of someone with some character in
    their face.

    Orlando isn't a suitable venue for this, though. There's no one area
    where I can go and lurk waiting for interesting people to walk by.
    So, I go to biker bars.

    The "Biker" was shot in a biker bar. There's a brick and mortar bar
    on one side, a tiki bar on another side, and a large open area between
    the two for motorcycle parking. I hunkered down in the middle area
    with my back to a trash barrel and shot from there. I'm learning to
    shoot from a sitting position up at the people who walk by in order to
    not pull in a lot of background clutter.

    Bikers, in general, don't mind you taking their picture, but I think I
    get better shots when they don't know I am taking a picture. I seldom
    get eye contact this way, and I seldom get more than one burst of
    shots of the same person. Sometimes I do get a "looking at me" shot:
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Photography/Bikers/bikerwhip/475703785_R7H5n-L.jpg
    (taken at the same place, but some months ago.)

    And on the same day as the "Biker" shot, but I'm not sure eye contact
    was established. I'm not sure this guy could focus on anything:
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Photography/Bikers/1143/679510630_Yo9zR-L.jpg

    Biker shots are a problem in that if you want to go where the bikers
    congregate and photograph them, midday is the best time. A lot of
    facial shadows go along with that.

    The "Fountain" photo is a favorite of mine even though the reviews
    weren't good. It was shot in a salvage yard that is jam-packed with
    architectural goodies from demolished houses. I could barely walk
    through the old sinks, doors, windows, garden benches, iron railings,
    and bits and pieces of Victorian-style houses. There, in the middle
    of all this clutter, was this fountain with that odd, blue paint on
    it. I would have liked to have been able to move the white ironwork
    out of the frame, but I rather like the rest of the background.

    The "Watering Can" was fish in a barrel. It was on a shelf on the
    shed behind the fountain. I had to move a couple of things to isolate
    the can, but it was just a photograph waiting to happen.

    To the other photographs in this month's collection:

    I'll preface this by saying that landscape scenes are not my thing.
    Even though some contributors have done a good - even great - job,
    they just don't capture my interest. They all scream "calendar art"
    to me. That's bias and prejudice on my part, and not a reflection on
    the efforts of the contributors. Also a bit of jealousy based on no
    longer living where the leaves change.

    Russell's barn intrigues me, but it's my thought that part of the barn
    would have made a better shot than all of the barn. Get closer and
    show detail.

    I like the Duck's Auburn (my Dad claimed he owned an Auburn, but not a
    Boattail), but the reflection of the leg bothers me. I also like the
    Cadillac, and primarily because the Duck did it in black and white.
    Is it a Cadillac La Salle, though? I think that's a 1934 La Salle.
    La Salle was also made by General Motors but a separate marque from
    Cadillac.

    Look at http://www.car-nection.com/yann/dbas_txt/Las1934.htm and go
    down to the photo titled "1934 La Salle prototype" and notice the
    ports and the hood emblem.

    Rah, rah, rah for Bowser's cheerleaders. I like Solomon's girl in a
    mask, but would have cropped out the man on the left. What's wrong
    with square crops, people?

    Bret's hummingbird is a great shot, but I could pick six better
    pictures from the site he linked to earlier of the Christian football
    fans. This one lacks dynamics. Gimme one where that moral
    righteousness jumps off the screen, Bret. You have some on that other
    site.

    Elliott Roper didn't post an image that particularly appeals to me,
    but somehow I know that he has some that would. I like his quirky eye
    to what is photographable.

    It was Birds 6 - Dogs 2, and the Birds won in more ways than quantity.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Oct 27, 2009

  2. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 22:57:19 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2009-10-26 22:20:52 -0700, Savageduck <savageduck@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> said:
    >
    >> On 2009-10-26 21:06:08 -0700, tony cooper <> said:
    >>> <-------------------------------------------------------------->

    >>> I like the Duck's Auburn (my Dad claimed he owned an Auburn, but not a
    >>> Boattail), but the reflection of the leg bothers me.

    >> You have no idea of how much it bothers me!
    >>
    >>> I also like the
    >>> Cadillac, and primarily because the Duck did it in black and white.
    >>> Is it a Cadillac La Salle, though? I think that's a 1934 La Salle.
    >>> La Salle was also made by General Motors but a separate marque from
    >>> Cadillac.

    >> Certainly Lasalle was a GM subdivision, however under the skin it was
    >> built by Cadillac and was mechanically a Cadillac, and was more of a
    >> custom bodywork option for Cadillac engineered by Harley Earl and
    >> Lawrence Fisher and executed by Fleetwood. It was originally meant to
    >> have been a Pontiac, but that never panned out. Some variants had Olds
    >> engines, but most were Cadillac options.
    >>
    >> At various times in the 50's, 60's & 70's the label was passed back to
    >> Oldsmobile and Buick in an attempt to add a fancy model badge to
    >> production line blandness. Some of those models also had twists on the
    >> spelling "La Salle" as compared with "Lasalle."
    >>
    >> The one in my shot was identified as a Cadillac variant by the owner.
    >>

    >>> Look at http://www.car-nection.com/yann/dbas_txt/Las1934.htm and go
    >>> down to the photo titled "1934 La Salle prototype" and notice the
    >>> ports and the hood emblem.

    >BTW one of the reasons I went with the B&W rendition was due to the
    >color reflections the Lasalle picked up from other cars. Here is the
    >...er profile shot in color and a "green" filter B&W conversion.
    >
    >I won't go into the problems of reflections of my 60 year old legs in shorts!!
    >
    >Color:
    >http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/Lasalle2353-fw.jpg
    >The red contamination is very obvious.
    >
    >B&W;
    >http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/Lasalle2353-wbw.jpg

    I just found out tonight that the Winter Park Annual Concours
    d'Elegance will be November 8th. I'll go. I'll take my camera. I'll
    take photographs.

    You probably won't ever see them. I've done cars before, and the
    chrome blow-out, reflections, and the cluttered backgrounds drive me
    around the bend.

    This is my kind of automobile photography:
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Salvage-Yard/104/523634744_cinz5-L.jpg
    If it's dusty and rusty, you don't get blow-outs.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Oct 27, 2009

  3. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 23:49:33 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >This weekend we had the Avila Beach (poor man's Pebble Beach) Concours.
    >Here is a '37 Packard 1507 from that show;
    >http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DSC_2890w.jpg
    >A 1930 Lincoln Sport Phaeton;
    >http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DSC_2938w.jpg
    >and a '33 Auburn 8-101-A;
    >http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DSC_2905w.jpg
    >

    >> You probably won't ever see them. I've done cars before, and the
    >> chrome blow-out, reflections, and the cluttered backgrounds drive me
    >> around the bend.

    >Go on, live dangerously. Blow out some of those highlights.
    >...but whatever you do watch the legs!
    >

    >> This is my kind of automobile photography:
    >> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Salvage-Yard/104/523634744_cinz5-L.jpg
    >> If it's dusty and rusty, you don't get blow-outs.

    >I should have thought of that solution.
    >
    >I see the keys are still in it. Yours?

    Nah. Here's mine. My wife parked it:

    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Salvage-Yard/102/523633953_fkxdJ-L.jpg

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Oct 27, 2009
  4. In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems tony cooper <> wrote:
    > Rah, rah, rah for Bowser's cheerleaders. I like Solomon's girl in a
    > mask, but would have cropped out the man on the left. What's wrong
    > with square crops, people?

    I didn't like a square composition here, but I could have cropped the
    guy out, yeah. Serves me right for getting these in at the
    eleventy-first hour without any thought for processing.

    It was a very dry spell for me until the final week, thanks in no small
    part to being pretty sick for most of it...

    - Solomon
    --
    Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet dot org
    Melbourne, FL ^^ (mail/jabber/gtalk) ^^
    Stuffed Crust, Oct 27, 2009
  5. tony cooper

    Eric Stevens Guest

    On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 22:57:19 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2009-10-26 22:20:52 -0700, Savageduck <savageduck@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> said:
    >
    >> On 2009-10-26 21:06:08 -0700, tony cooper <> said:
    >>> <-------------------------------------------------------------->

    >>> I like the Duck's Auburn (my Dad claimed he owned an Auburn, but not a
    >>> Boattail), but the reflection of the leg bothers me.

    >> You have no idea of how much it bothers me!
    >>
    >>> I also like the
    >>> Cadillac, and primarily because the Duck did it in black and white.
    >>> Is it a Cadillac La Salle, though? I think that's a 1934 La Salle.
    >>> La Salle was also made by General Motors but a separate marque from
    >>> Cadillac.

    >> Certainly Lasalle was a GM subdivision, however under the skin it was
    >> built by Cadillac and was mechanically a Cadillac, and was more of a
    >> custom bodywork option for Cadillac engineered by Harley Earl and
    >> Lawrence Fisher and executed by Fleetwood. It was originally meant to
    >> have been a Pontiac, but that never panned out. Some variants had Olds
    >> engines, but most were Cadillac options.
    >>
    >> At various times in the 50's, 60's & 70's the label was passed back to
    >> Oldsmobile and Buick in an attempt to add a fancy model badge to
    >> production line blandness. Some of those models also had twists on the
    >> spelling "La Salle" as compared with "Lasalle."
    >>
    >> The one in my shot was identified as a Cadillac variant by the owner.
    >>

    >>> Look at http://www.car-nection.com/yann/dbas_txt/Las1934.htm and go
    >>> down to the photo titled "1934 La Salle prototype" and notice the
    >>> ports and the hood emblem.

    >BTW one of the reasons I went with the B&W rendition was due to the
    >color reflections the Lasalle picked up from other cars. Here is the
    >...er profile shot in color and a "green" filter B&W conversion.
    >
    >I won't go into the problems of reflections of my 60 year old legs in shorts!!
    >
    >Color:
    >http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/Lasalle2353-fw.jpg
    >The red contamination is very obvious.

    Both front and rear springs need to reset. The rear springs are worst.

    >B&W;
    >http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/Lasalle2353-wbw.jpg

    Eric Stevens
    Eric Stevens, Oct 27, 2009
  6. tony cooper

    Robert Coe Guest

    :
    : >A very nice collection this month; best I've seen in a while. Take a look
    : >here:
    : >
[...]

    Tony, that's a great picture; I really can't find any fault with it. But if
    you call him a "Biker", you have to show the BIKE. Yhe shot falls a little
    flat for me for that reason only.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Oct 28, 2009
  7. tony cooper

    Robert Coe Guest

    : > <-------------------------------------------------------------->
    :
[...]

    Are you sure you're not thinking of "Le Sabre"? I saw a LaSalle once or twice
    as a kid, but I don't think I ever saw a new one. (I was born in 1937.)

    "Gee, our old LaSalle ran great!"
    - Archie and Edith Bunker

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Oct 28, 2009
  8. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 21:30:13 -0400, Robert Coe <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 00:06:08 -0400, tony cooper <>
    >wrote:
    >: On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 20:17:57 -0400, "Bowser" <> wrote:
    >:
    >: >A very nice collection this month; best I've seen in a while. Take a look
    >: >here:
    >: >
    >: >http://www.pbase.com/shootin/your_favorite
    >: >
    >: >My personal favorites are Tony's "Biker" and Michael's "karate kid."
    >: >(because my own son went through the black belt program and I've got a few
    >: >like that one...)
    >:
    >: Ta for that, and now to something completely different.
    >:
    >: If I lived in a big city, I could spend all of the time I allocate to
    >: photography to street photography. Nothing is more rewarding to me
    >: than catching a good candid shot of someone with some character in
    >: their face.
    >:
    >: Orlando isn't a suitable venue for this, though. There's no one area
    >: where I can go and lurk waiting for interesting people to walk by.
    >: So, I go to biker bars.
    >:
    >: The "Biker" was shot in a biker bar. There's a brick and mortar bar
    >: on one side, a tiki bar on another side, and a large open area between
    >: the two for motorcycle parking. I hunkered down in the middle area
    >: with my back to a trash barrel and shot from there. I'm learning to
    >: shoot from a sitting position up at the people who walk by in order to
    >: not pull in a lot of background clutter.
    >
    >Tony, that's a great picture; I really can't find any fault with it. But if
    >you call him a "Biker", you have to show the BIKE. Yhe shot falls a little
    >flat for me for that reason only.

    Photographing the bikes doesn't do it for me. If the composition is
    the man *and* the bike, the man's face becomes an also-ran. Besides,
    this guy has the Harley emblem on his hat.

    I don't mention this around the subjects of the photos, but I don't
    particularly like Harleys. When I rode, it was a vintage Moto Guzzi.
    I bought a 1973 Eldorado and a 1972 Ambassador about 15 years ago.
    Both basket bikes when I bought them. Never did get the Eldorado
    running, but had some fun on the Ambassador. Sold them both.

    I do include the machine sometimes:
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Photography/Bikers/08/483965460_PLik2-L.jpg

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida