Re: [SI] Work is up

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by otter, Mar 22, 2012.

  1. otter

    otter Guest

    On Sunday, March 18, 2012 3:24:05 PM UTC-5, Alan Browne wrote:
    > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/work
    >
    > --
    > "I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did.
    > I said I didn't know."
    > -Samuel Clemens.

    I wasn't going to comment on these, but what the heck. Might as well contribute something.

    I couldn't see hanging any of these on a wall. I could possibly visualize Bowser's #2 & #3 being in a magazine. Makes those the best, in my mind.

    Congratulations to the rest who were able to rise to the challenge, unlike me.

    otter, Mar 22, 2012

  2. otter

    Tim Conway Guest

    "Bowser" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 21:16:05 -0700 (PDT), otter
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sunday, March 18, 2012 3:24:05 PM UTC-5, Alan Browne wrote:
    >>> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/work
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> "I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did.
    >>> I said I didn't know."
    >>> -Samuel Clemens.

    >>I wasn't going to comment on these, but what the heck. Might as well
    >>contribute something.
    >>
    >>I couldn't see hanging any of these on a wall. I could possibly visualize
    >>Bowser's #2 & #3 being in a magazine. Makes those the best, in my mind.
    >>
    >>Congratulations to the rest who were able to rise to the challenge, unlike
    >>me.

    > Funny you should mention that. Both of those images ended up in
    > corporate annual reports, and the #2 shot did end up in a magazine.
    >
    > But I really wish I had the time to scope out something new. I sent
    > three archive shots. Embarassing.

    Yes, maybe, but to a stock photographer archive shots are most of his income
    (except for an occasional assignment).
    I think it is just as challenging to pick an appropriate shot out of one's
    archives for the mandate as to go shoot something fresh. The skills are
    practically the same, just the timing is different.
    Although it *is* nicer to do it fresh - more like fulfilling an assignment,
    but to those of us who are somewhat impaired, archive shots is sometimes the
    only way we can participate in events like the shootin.

    Tim Conway, Mar 22, 2012

  3. otter

    tony cooper Guest

    <> wrote:

    >On Sunday, March 18, 2012 3:24:05 PM UTC-5, Alan Browne wrote:
    >> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/work
    >>
    >> --
    >> "I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did.
    >> I said I didn't know."
    >> -Samuel Clemens.

    >I wasn't going to comment on these, but what the heck. Might as well contribute something.
    >
    >I couldn't see hanging any of these on a wall. I could possibly visualize Bowser's #2 & #3 being in a magazine. Makes those the best, in my mind.

    Maybe we have the next mandate: A photo for Otter's wall.

    All we have to do is figure out what kind of photos that Otter likes.

    As to those who think the quality of the photos in SI is slipping,
    we've already met and exceeded the mandate of: Better Than Bruce's.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Mar 22, 2012
  4. otter

    otter Guest

    On Thursday, March 22, 2012 4:04:13 PM UTC-5, tony cooper wrote:
    > On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 21:16:05 -0700 (PDT), otter
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >On Sunday, March 18, 2012 3:24:05 PM UTC-5, Alan Browne wrote:
    > >> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/work
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> "I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did.
    > >> I said I didn't know."
    > >> -Samuel Clemens.

    > >I wasn't going to comment on these, but what the heck. Might as well contribute something.
    > >
    > >I couldn't see hanging any of these on a wall. I could possibly visualize Bowser's #2 & #3 being in a magazine. Makes those the best, in my mind.
    > >

    > Maybe we have the next mandate: A photo for Otter's wall.
    >
    > All we have to do is figure out what kind of photos that Otter likes.
    >
    > As to those who think the quality of the photos in SI is slipping,
    > we've already met and exceeded the mandate of: Better Than Bruce's.
    >

    > --
    > Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    Which of those pictures would you frame and hang on a wall, Tony?

    otter, Mar 23, 2012
  5. otter

    tony cooper Guest

    On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 20:23:15 -0700 (PDT), otter
    <> wrote:

    >On Thursday, March 22, 2012 4:04:13 PM UTC-5, tony cooper wrote:
    >> On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 21:16:05 -0700 (PDT), otter
    >> <> wrote:

    >> >I wasn't going to comment on these, but what the heck. Might as well contribute something.
    >> >
    >> >I couldn't see hanging any of these on a wall. I could possibly visualize Bowser's #2 & #3 being in a magazine. Makes those the best, in my mind.
    >> >

    >> Maybe we have the next mandate: A photo for Otter's wall.
    >>
    >> All we have to do is figure out what kind of photos that Otter likes.
    >>
    >> As to those who think the quality of the photos in SI is slipping,
    >> we've already met and exceeded the mandate of: Better Than Bruce's.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    >Which of those pictures would you frame and hang on a wall, Tony?

    My comment was not meant to disparage you, Otter. It was intended as
    humor. Actually, I welcome comment on the images and wish more did
    the same. I will, but I haven't got around to it yet.

    I may put my potter's hands up on the wall as a 5 x7. I rather like
    it, but I admit to some bias and low standards.

    The lady barber *is* up on a wall in 8 x 10 size. One of the
    conditions of allowing me to take the photograph was that I would
    email her a file. She emailed me back to say she had it printed and
    the image has been hung in the barbershop. A photo of a shoe repair
    guy, taken the same day, is up on his wall...well, actually tacked to
    a shelf of shoes ready for customers. The same deal was made, and the
    barber had them both printed. Their shops are in the same block of a
    small town and they know each other.

    The shoe repair guy shot was not submitted here.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Mar 23, 2012
  6. otter

    PeterN Guest

    On 3/22/2012 5:04 PM, tony cooper wrote:
    > On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 21:16:05 -0700 (PDT), otter
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Sunday, March 18, 2012 3:24:05 PM UTC-5, Alan Browne wrote:
    >>> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/work
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> "I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did.
    >>> I said I didn't know."
    >>> -Samuel Clemens.

    >> I wasn't going to comment on these, but what the heck. Might as well contribute something.
    >>
    >> I couldn't see hanging any of these on a wall. I could possibly visualize Bowser's #2& #3 being in a magazine. Makes those the best, in my mind.
    >>

    > Maybe we have the next mandate: A photo for Otter's wall.
    >
    > All we have to do is figure out what kind of photos that Otter likes.
    >
    > As to those who think the quality of the photos in SI is slipping,
    > we've already met and exceeded the mandate of: Better Than Bruce's.

    Does reaching that goal give you a sense of satisfaction?

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Mar 24, 2012