Re: [SI] Where are the comments on FOOD?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Charles E. Hardwidge, Jun 17, 2012.

  1. "SI Committee" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > The "home" of the SI is rec.photo.equipment.35mm with
    > rec.photo.digital.slr-systems pretty much "taking over".

    ^Why???

    Sounds like 35mm SLR elitism to me.

    --
    Charles E. Hardwidge

    Charles E. Hardwidge, Jun 17, 2012

  2. Charles E. Hardwidge

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 14:58:23 -0500, Chemiker <>
    wrote:
    : On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 16:58:36 +0100, "Charles E. Hardwidge"
    : <> wrote:
    :
    : >"SI Committee" <> wrote in message
    : >news:...
    : >>
    : >> The "home" of the SI is rec.photo.equipment.35mm with
    : >> rec.photo.digital.slr-systems pretty much "taking over".
    : >
    : >^Why???
    : >
    : >Sounds like 35mm SLR elitism to
    :
    : Seriously, I am getting responses (Re:) to messages, but I'm not
    : getting the messages themselves. What's wrong with this picture?
    :
    : I'd like to know whether my pix are gold or lead, but I'm getting
    : nothing. If I am persona non gratia, OK. I can live with it.
    :
    : But I don't think that's happening. Others in this group want
    : to kick my ass too badly, I think.
    :
    : You think my shots are bad? Where do I find your criticism?

    There's no obvious reason why you aren't seeing the commentary. Have you
    checked with your service provider?

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Jun 17, 2012

  3. Charles E. Hardwidge

    tony cooper Guest

    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 16:58:36 +0100, "Charles E. Hardwidge"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>"SI Committee" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> The "home" of the SI is rec.photo.equipment.35mm with
    >>> rec.photo.digital.slr-systems pretty much "taking over".

    >>^Why???
    >>
    >>Sounds like 35mm SLR elitism to

    >Seriously, I am getting responses (Re:) to messages, but I'm not
    >getting the messages themselves. What's wrong with this picture?
    >
    >I'd like to know whether my pix are gold or lead, but I'm getting
    >nothing. If I am persona non gratia, OK. I can live with it.
    >
    >But I don' t think that's happening. Others in this group want to kick
    >my ass too badly, I think.
    >
    >You think my shots are bad? Where do I find your criticism?
    >
    >Alex

    Here's a copy/paste of the comments I made about all the photos:

    Some of the "Food" photographs demonstrate what a skill it is that
    professional food photographers have. That which is served to us is
    not always that appetizing when photographed. I imagine the pros have
    tricks that make a dog's breakfast one we would eat.

    As always, I appreciate imagination in subject matter.

    FrankEss's "Big Boy" reminds me of the tenderloin sandwiches that
    Frisch's used to offer, but - sadly - have removed from the menu in
    their location here. I like Dan's photo of take-out menus for the
    idea and the appropriateness, but - technically - the photo lacks
    sufficient detail probably due to motion blur at 1/8th shutter speed.
    The message gets across, though.

    Photographically, Chemiker's "Cocktail" stands out, as does
    Savageduck's fish market take and KurtP's #2 with something green and
    leafy in pots. A bit crowded, though. Kurt's composition in #2 is
    good because it shows that you don't have to have a full plate in view
    to show the subject, but the lighting and focus could have been
    better.

    Chemiker adds strange things as props, but they just don't work for
    me. Jade (?) and watermelon? I don't get it. Not in focus, either.
    Otter's sandwich doesn't look all that appetizing to me, and I hate
    messy food, but I did key on the bottle of Big Red. Big Red, now
    distributed by Dr Pepper/Snapple, used to be popular drink in Indiana.
    Big Boy and Big Red have associations for this former Hoosier. If
    that's a typical breakfast for Bob Flint, his arteries must be harder
    than that mineral in his name. His dinner includes corn, and I'm all
    for that.

    Peter Newman's #1 looks like a magazine shot for some resort.
    Strange, but not unattractive, texture. Was that a result of using a
    phone camera, or something added in post? That vertical smear running
    down through the lady's ponytail is a bit off-putting. A cord hanging
    down from the awning?

    Peter's #3 has some strange bits to it, too. Those two partial
    goblets on the right? A breadbasket to the right and a thumb to left?

    It does seem like several people in this group drink their dinner.

    Credit to Martha Coe for subject choice. Alan's into corn, too. In
    this case, the blurring at 1/10th works because the wooden spoon has a
    motion effect.

    About my own shots...#1 is a fresh shot taken Sunday at a Farmer's
    Market in downtown Orlando. #2 was shot in the same place, but
    earlier this year. It just fit my theme. #3 was shot in my own
    backyard for the mandate. I knocked that squirrel torture device
    together just for this. I'll feed the squirrels, but I make them work
    for it.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Jun 17, 2012