Re: [SI] Wallpaper is hung!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by tony cooper, Jun 23, 2010.

  1. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 07:38:31 -0400, Bowser <> wrote:

    >Come and get it, some new wallpaper for your wide screen monitor:
    >
    >http://www.pbase.com/shootin/wallpaper

    There are only a few submissions that I feel would make good
    wallpaper. Good photographs...several. But, the wallpaper should be
    - in my opinion - an image that allows an arrangement of icons that
    are clearly visible and do not impinge of the central point of the
    subject.

    Tim Conway's submission is an excellent photograph, but plastering
    icons on it ruin it as a photograph. With 20 or 30 icons in that
    scene it would become a mess even if you kept the icons to the upper
    left in the trees.

    The Duck's image, with icons, would lose that symmetry that makes it
    interesting. Icons would look very out-of-place in Peter Newman's
    shot (which is grossly over-sharpened). Bret's image is a superb
    image but one that would be tacky as hell with icons. Bowser's is the
    worst as far as wallpaper material.

    And so on. I am not at all impressed with this month's collection
    because it's a purpose-designed project and the submissions don't
    handle the purpose.

    Perhaps I keep more icons visible than others, but there's no way I
    would try to fit my icons around some of those images. For the most
    part, I'd ruin some good photographs and make my icon distribution far
    too complicated.

    If I used a screen-saver, most of these would work for that. But I
    don't use a screen-saver.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Jun 23, 2010

  2. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 14:10:28 -0500, George Kerby
    <> wrote:

    >On 6/22/10 11:01 PM, in article ,
    >"tony cooper" <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 07:38:31 -0400, Bowser <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Come and get it, some new wallpaper for your wide screen monitor:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/wallpaper

    >> There are only a few submissions that I feel would make good
    >> wallpaper. Good photographs...several. But, the wallpaper should be
    >> - in my opinion - an image that allows an arrangement of icons that
    >> are clearly visible and do not impinge of the central point of the
    >> subject.
    >>

    >To disagree with your observations, there are two that would make a great
    >background wallpaper. Elliott Roper's 'Sandpaper' and Robert Spanjaard's
    >untitled bug on golden vegetation where the focus on either side of center
    >is soft enough to make icons standout.

    You do not consider "only a few" to allow for the two you mention?
    Rather than disagreeing with me, you seem to be agreeing but limiting
    it even more than I am.

    To be clear, I am not criticizing the images. Just the images as
    purpose-specific for wallpaper.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Jun 23, 2010

  3. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 20:52:07 -0700, Paul Furman <>
    wrote:

    >tony cooper wrote:
    >> Bowser wrote:
    >>
    >>> Come and get it, some new wallpaper for your wide screen monitor:
    >>> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/wallpaper

    >> There are only a few submissions that I feel would make good
    >> wallpaper. Good photographs...several. But, the wallpaper should be
    >> - in my opinion - an image that allows an arrangement of icons that
    >> are clearly visible and do not impinge of the central point of the
    >> subject.

    >Tony, I'd recommend to try some other ones on your desktop, you might be
    >surprised. I loaded up many possibilities as actual wallpaper during the
    >mandate period and ended up with what I thought would be awful but it
    >works nicely - for me - for a while anyways... tastes, styles, needs &
    >moods will vary.

    I tested my own submission as wallpaper. I was able to place my icons
    on one side and they were viewable against the sky. They didn't
    interfere with the main subject - the jumpers - at all.

    That's not to say that my composition is better or that my photo is
    interesting. But, it does work for wallpaper and the was the purpose
    of the exercise.

    As I've said, I prefer a plain blue desktop with the icons in the
    "Fences" and a calendar
    http://tinnes.org.uk/desktopcalendar/index.php ) and the QuickNote
    add-on from Firefox:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/46/

    I don't use my own submission. If I would, I'd create new icons to
    make the ones I use the most more noticeable. Some standard icons are
    too difficult to tell apart. I use some custom created icons now.

    On the shot...the day I went to the airport a class was having their
    first jump. This group requires a buddy jump for the first jump after
    a class. That's why the image has two jumpers.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Jun 24, 2010