Re: [SI] U photos are Up.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by PeterN, Feb 13, 2012.

  1. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    PeterN, Feb 13, 2012

  2. PeterN

    tony cooper Guest

    First, thanks to Alan for jumping in and taking the reins. He bugged
    us to send in our submissions and posted the results quickly. I do
    wish he would have included the comments about the images that he
    asked for.

    The comments would have come in handy for Pete's image and Alan's. I
    can't associate a "U" with Pete's image at all. I finally twigged to
    "Utensils" for Alan's "3" shot, but my American English uses
    "Silverware" for the shot. "Uncoupled" is what the Duck in mind for
    "U2", I guess. His "Ewe" could have fit back in the "Pun" mandate a
    while back.

    I also had trouble with MG's photo, but he's since posted and cleared
    that up. About the photo itself, the watch components alone would
    have made a better image. Lose the tools to the left. Nice, sharp
    close-up of the watchworks. Good to see a new name.

    Speaking of new names, welcome to Jessica. Nice images of umbrellas.
    "3", with the umbrellas around the table, shows some imagination.
    Could be lightened up a little, though.

    Husband (?) Eric could also lighten up the Underpass.

    Bowser's "Unicycle" is a great catch. Great.

    Peter Newman's "U2" is very clever. Add a couple of dots, and you
    have another "U" image: umlaut.

    I like the fact that these images showed that people were out looking
    for "U" subjects rather than flipping through their archives to find
    ones that fit. Tim Conway must had to hold his nose going after his
    "Ugly" shot.

    If you counted, I submitted four with instructions to Alan to cut one
    if he wanted to. The turn-out was so sparse last month that I wanted
    him to have a good selection, but it wasn't necessary.

    My "Underwater" was a lucky grab. The fish - each about 4 foot long -
    were in a fenced-off pond near Marineland. I had to hold my Nikon
    (with no live view) far over my head and shoot over the fence blind.

    I'm not sure the "Urine Test" is self-explanatory. Before every race,
    that guy watches the dogs to see which ones will take a pee. If they
    do, he catches a urine sample and mails it off to the state racing
    commission. There's a little bottle in the cup he's holding. Random
    drug testing.

    I kinda expected umbrellas and underwear, but where's the unicorn?

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Feb 13, 2012

  3. "tony cooper" <> wrote in message

    > I also had trouble with MG's photo, but he's since posted and cleared
    > that up. About the photo itself, the watch components alone would
    > have made a better image. Lose the tools to the left. Nice, sharp
    > close-up of the watchworks. Good to see a new name.

    Heh. Tony is talking about "cropping" again while trying to avoid looking
    like he's talking about cropping.

    Cropping *can* work but can make a photo become someone else's plus there's
    the other issue that an entirely different composition/arrangement etcetera
    could be within the scene.

    --
    Charles E. Hardwidge
    Charles E. Hardwidge, Feb 14, 2012
  4. PeterN

    Pete A Guest

    On 2012-02-14 06:14:38 +0000, Charles E. Hardwidge said:

    > tony cooper wrote:
    >
    >> I also had trouble with MG's photo, but he's since posted and cleared
    >> that up. About the photo itself, the watch components alone would
    >> have made a better image. Lose the tools to the left. Nice, sharp
    >> close-up of the watchworks. Good to see a new name.

    > Heh. Tony is talking about "cropping" again while trying to avoid looking
    > like he's talking about cropping.
    >
    > Cropping *can* work but can make a photo become someone else's plus there's
    > the other issue that an entirely different composition/arrangement
    > etcetera could be within the scene.

    I find it fascinating that people "see" very differently. MG's shot
    intrigued me because:

    The red provides one dominant primary colour.

    The edge of the table divides the picture horizontally: the right
    contains mostly circular items of increasing size - the table being the
    largest circle.

    The left half is nicely out of focus. Tools are obviously required to
    dismantle a watch, but hey, they are the wrong tools!

    The best jokes are often ones that take a few moments to figure out,
    but run the risk that some will never "get it".
    Pete A, Feb 14, 2012
  5. PeterN

    MG Guest

    "Pete A" <> wrote in message
    > On 2012-02-14 06:14:38 +0000, Charles E. Hardwidge said:
    >
    >> tony cooper wrote:
    >>
    >>> I also had trouble with MG's photo, but he's since posted and cleared
    >>> that up. About the photo itself, the watch components alone would
    >>> have made a better image. Lose the tools to the left. Nice, sharp
    >>> close-up of the watchworks. Good to see a new name.

    >> Heh. Tony is talking about "cropping" again while trying to avoid looking
    >> like he's talking about cropping.
    >>
    >> Cropping *can* work but can make a photo become someone else's plus
    >> there's
    >> the other issue that an entirely different composition/arrangement
    >> etcetera could be within the scene.

    > I find it fascinating that people "see" very differently. MG's shot
    > intrigued me because:
    >
    > The red provides one dominant primary colour.
    >
    > The edge of the table divides the picture horizontally: the right contains
    > mostly circular items of increasing size - the table being the largest
    > circle.
    >
    > The left half is nicely out of focus. Tools are obviously required to
    > dismantle a watch, but hey, they are the wrong tools!

    Hence the title "Untimely"

    MG, Feb 14, 2012
  6. PeterN

    Pete A Guest

    On 2012-02-14 13:03:14 +0000, MG said:

    > "Pete A" <> wrote in message

    >>> Heh. Tony is talking about "cropping" again while trying to avoid looking
    >>> like he's talking about cropping.
    >>>
    >>> Cropping *can* work but can make a photo become someone else's plus there's
    >>> the other issue that an entirely different composition/arrangement
    >>> etcetera could be within the scene.

    >> I find it fascinating that people "see" very differently. MG's shot
    >> intrigued me because:
    >>
    >> The red provides one dominant primary colour.
    >>
    >> The edge of the table divides the picture horizontally: the right
    >> contains mostly circular items of increasing size - the table being the
    >> largest circle.
    >>
    >> The left half is nicely out of focus. Tools are obviously required to
    >> dismantle a watch, but hey, they are the wrong tools!

    > Hence the title "Untimely"

    Before I read your caption, my U-connection thought was "Unsuitable".

    Pete A, Feb 14, 2012
  7. PeterN

    tony cooper Guest

    On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 06:14:38 -0000, "Charles E. Hardwidge"
    <> wrote:

    >"tony cooper" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> I also had trouble with MG's photo, but he's since posted and cleared
    >> that up. About the photo itself, the watch components alone would
    >> have made a better image. Lose the tools to the left. Nice, sharp
    >> close-up of the watchworks. Good to see a new name.

    >Heh. Tony is talking about "cropping" again while trying to avoid looking
    >like he's talking about cropping.
    >
    >Cropping *can* work but can make a photo become someone else's plus there's
    >the other issue that an entirely different composition/arrangement etcetera
    >could be within the scene.

    We call it "cropping" when it is done to an image that has already
    been shot. We call it "composition" when the shot is framed
    in-camera. Cropping is just composition after the fact.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Feb 14, 2012
  8. "tony cooper" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 06:14:38 -0000, "Charles E. Hardwidge"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>"tony cooper" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> I also had trouble with MG's photo, but he's since posted and cleared
    >>> that up. About the photo itself, the watch components alone would
    >>> have made a better image. Lose the tools to the left. Nice, sharp
    >>> close-up of the watchworks. Good to see a new name.

    >>Heh. Tony is talking about "cropping" again while trying to avoid looking
    >>like he's talking about cropping.
    >>
    >>Cropping *can* work but can make a photo become someone else's plus
    >>there's the other issue that an entirely different composition/arrangement
    >>etcetera could be within the scene.

    > We call it "cropping" when it is done to an image that has already
    > been shot. We call it "composition" when the shot is framed
    > in-camera. Cropping is just composition after the fact.

    You wouldn't be going all Sisker over this cropping biz would you?

    --
    Charles E. Hardwidge
    Charles E. Hardwidge, Feb 14, 2012