Re: [SI] Traditions die hard...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by tony cooper, Jan 9, 2012.

  1. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Mon, 09 Jan 2012 12:51:33 -0500, Bowser <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 08 Jan 2012 10:57:28 -0500, Alan Browne
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On 2012-01-06 19:23 , Bowser wrote:
    >>> Well, we've had better turnouts...
    >>>
    >>> http://upload.pbase.com/edit_gallery/shootin/traditions

    >>
    >>Did you receive my phot?

    >
    >Yes, I did and it's posted. I'll be sending you some info for the
    >accounts today, as well.


    I didn't submit to "Traditions" because our family has no traditions
    to photograph other than family gatherings. All photos from those are
    just snapshots.

    A suggestion for a future Shoot-In: Working. The subject should be
    people performing their job.
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
     
    tony cooper, Jan 9, 2012
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems tony cooper <> wrote:
    > I didn't submit to "Traditions" because our family has no traditions
    > to photograph other than family gatherings. All photos from those are
    > just snapshots.


    Yeah, I was in a similar quandry -- I don't really have any "holiday
    traditions". But true to form, I had a couple of offbeat ideas. Sure,
    lights and what not are the official traditions, but the unofficial
    traditions when my far-flung family gets together tend to involve lots
    of bickering and strife. It's hard to capture that in an image.

    The other idea I had was to get a pile of empty beer/wine/booze bottles
    (and/or an overflowing ashtray) discarded in a passed-out-on-the-couch
    sort of way. Alas, I wasn't able to accomplish either.

    - Solomon [Not a cynic, really..]
    --
    Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet dot org
    Melbourne, FL ^^ (mail/jabber/gtalk) ^^
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
     
    Stuffed Crust, Jan 9, 2012
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    Re: [SI] Traditions die hard... And a question or two.

    On Mon, 9 Jan 2012 12:51:34 -0800, "Frank S" <>
    wrote:

    >My suggestion for a new mandate: "UGLY; I mean UgggLLLEEEEE!" Seek out a
    >wart hog for an intimate portrait, or (your choice of animal, vegetable,
    >mineral subjects) or perhaps an entire photograph that turned out ugly,
    >uglier, ugliest among all your efforts.
    >


    I shot that image on Saturday:

    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-sDsGWS7/0/XL/2012-07-02-XL.jpg

    I'm giving it a title of "The truth is, Diogenes, you is ugly".


    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
     
    tony cooper, Jan 10, 2012
    #3
  4. tony cooper

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Mon, 09 Jan 2012 13:21:14 -0500, tony cooper <>
    wrote:
    : On Mon, 09 Jan 2012 12:51:33 -0500, Bowser <> wrote:
    :
    : >On Sun, 08 Jan 2012 10:57:28 -0500, Alan Browne
    : ><> wrote:
    : >
    : >>On 2012-01-06 19:23 , Bowser wrote:
    : >>> Well, we've had better turnouts...
    : >>>
    : >>> http://upload.pbase.com/edit_gallery/shootin/traditions
    : >>
    : >>Did you receive my phot?
    : >
    : >Yes, I did and it's posted. I'll be sending you some info for the
    : >accounts today, as well.
    :
    : I didn't submit to "Traditions" because our family has no traditions
    : to photograph other than family gatherings. All photos from those are
    : just snapshots.

    I think it's wrong to denigrate snapshots. The more experience I get as an
    event photographer, the more I realize that good event photography is just
    snapshots done well. Each snapshot has to be of some interest to at least one
    participant in the event, and there's a minimum level of quality required; but
    trying to get cute and pretend to an overarching artistic mission usually just
    makes the photographer look silly.

    : A suggestion for a future Shoot-In: Working. The subject should be
    : people performing their job.

    I'll have my wife photograph me at 5:35 AM, lugging my laptop computer and a
    large camera bag to my car so that I can drive to the station in time for my
    6:00 train into town. :^|

    Bob
     
    Robert Coe, Jan 10, 2012
    #4
  5. tony cooper

    Trevor Guest

    "Robert Coe" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > : A suggestion for a future Shoot-In: Working. The subject should be
    > : people performing their job.
    >
    > I'll have my wife photograph me at 5:35 AM, lugging my laptop computer and
    > a
    > large camera bag to my car so that I can drive to the station in time for
    > my
    > 6:00 train into town. :^|


    That wouldn't be "working" then, just going to work.

    Trevor.
     
    Trevor, Jan 10, 2012
    #5
  6. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Mon, 09 Jan 2012 23:14:51 -0500, Robert Coe <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 09 Jan 2012 13:21:14 -0500, tony cooper <>
    >wrote:
    >: On Mon, 09 Jan 2012 12:51:33 -0500, Bowser <> wrote:
    >:
    >: >On Sun, 08 Jan 2012 10:57:28 -0500, Alan Browne
    >: ><> wrote:
    >: >
    >: >>On 2012-01-06 19:23 , Bowser wrote:
    >: >>> Well, we've had better turnouts...
    >: >>>
    >: >>> http://upload.pbase.com/edit_gallery/shootin/traditions
    >: >>
    >: >>Did you receive my phot?
    >: >
    >: >Yes, I did and it's posted. I'll be sending you some info for the
    >: >accounts today, as well.
    >:
    >: I didn't submit to "Traditions" because our family has no traditions
    >: to photograph other than family gatherings. All photos from those are
    >: just snapshots.
    >
    >I think it's wrong to denigrate snapshots. The more experience I get as an
    >event photographer, the more I realize that good event photography is just
    >snapshots done well. Each snapshot has to be of some interest to at least one
    >participant in the event, and there's a minimum level of quality required; but
    >trying to get cute and pretend to an overarching artistic mission usually just
    >makes the photographer look silly.


    Snapshots have their place. All of my photographs are stored on the
    same drives and discs, but if I had separated family snaps and my
    creative stuff, it would be the family snap drives and discs that
    would be first-grabbed in a fire or other disaster.

    Snapshots, though, don't really have a place in the Shoot-In.


    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
     
    tony cooper, Jan 10, 2012
    #6
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. O.Phooey
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    608
    Kráftéé
    Jul 5, 2003
  2. DVD Verdict
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    574
    DVD Verdict
    Sep 26, 2003
  3. Joe Pendyck

    New Die-Hard DVD?

    Joe Pendyck, Sep 26, 2003, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    385
    jayembee
    Sep 27, 2003
  4. Tiger
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    463
    Tiger
    Dec 29, 2003
  5. Christoph Wiedekind

    Adressen, die ich auf die Schnelle gefunden hab!

    Christoph Wiedekind, Aug 16, 2006, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    673
    Christoph Wiedekind
    Aug 16, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page