Re: [SI] That's it, I've had enough, I,m leaving!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Steve Young, Feb 16, 2004.

  1. Steve Young

    Steve Young Guest

    > > Bill Mcdonald wrote:
    > > Douglas,
    > > Don't leave. The photo's were great. I know there are people with
    > > the technological savvy to track down whoever's behind the barrage of
    > > filth which has swamped this group. Maybe the netgods will smile on
    > > us and we can be rid of this psycho.

    > "Jukka-Pekka Suominen" <> wrote
    > The easiest way to get rid of him/her/it is to filter for "Organization:
    > ", which will catch all of his/her/its, erm...
    > posts.

    you would prolly need a filter like Nfilter, or eNfilter

    >It would seem that his/her/its ISP is craftech.com, so if someone
    > feels the need to try to shut him/her/it up for real, that might be a
    > good place to start, but I cannot say for sure.

    OK, any other opinions?

    > At any rate, just ignoring him/her/it will propably put an end to the
    > drivel..

    i haven't seen this strategy work yet
    --
    A newbie's Usenet first encounter occurs without a prophylactic

    Steve Young, Feb 16, 2004

  2. Steve Young wrote:
    >>>Bill Mcdonald wrote:
    >>>Douglas,
    >>>Don't leave. The photo's were great. I know there are people with
    >>>the technological savvy to track down whoever's behind the barrage of
    >>>filth which has swamped this group. Maybe the netgods will smile on
    >>>us and we can be rid of this psycho.

    >>"Jukka-Pekka Suominen" <> wrote
    >>The easiest way to get rid of him/her/it is to filter for "Organization:
    >>", which will catch all of his/her/its, erm...
    >>posts.

    > you would prolly need a filter like Nfilter, or eNfilter

    Propably, since most newsreaders won't let you write custom filters. :(

    >>It would seem that his/her/its ISP is craftech.com, so if someone
    >>feels the need to try to shut him/her/it up for real, that might be a
    >>good place to start, but I cannot say for sure.

    > OK, any other opinions?

    I'm still not sure about this one, since I really don't know how exactly
    the nym.alias.net anonymizer works, but all the troll posts have a
    Message-ID like [something.something]@ccs1.craftech.com, which IMHO
    would indicate that he/she/it is using craftech.com as his/her/its ISP.

    >>At any rate, just ignoring him/her/it will propably put an end to the
    >>drivel..

    > i haven't seen this strategy work yet

    Gotta give it some time..

    -JP

    Jukka-Pekka Suominen, Feb 16, 2004

  3. Steve Young wrote:

    > you would prolly need a filter like Nfilter, or eNfilter

    "Prolly"?

    Gary Eickmeier

    Gary Eickmeier, Feb 17, 2004
  4. Jukka-Pekka Suominen wrote:

    > Steve Young wrote:

    >> you would prolly need a filter like Nfilter, or eNfilter

    > Propably, since most newsreaders won't let you write custom filters. :(

    "Propably"?

    Gary Eickmeier (A-a-a-a-a-a-a-h!)

    Gary Eickmeier, Feb 17, 2004
  5. Steve Young

    Doug Guest

    "Gary Eickmeier" <> wrote in message

    > Steve Young wrote:
    >
    > > you would prolly need a filter like Nfilter, or eNfilter

    > "Prolly"?
    >
    > Gary Eickmeier

    Probbly

    Doug

    Doug, Feb 17, 2004
  6. Steve Young

    W6DKN Guest

    Doug wrote:
    > "Gary Eickmeier" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> Steve Young wrote:
    >>
    >>> you would prolly need a filter like Nfilter, or eNfilter

    >> "Prolly"?
    >>
    >> Gary Eickmeier

    > Probbly
    >
    > Doug

    Probably...

    W6DKN, Feb 17, 2004
  7. Steve Young

    Paul H. Guest

    "Doug" <> wrote in message

    > "Gary Eickmeier" <> wrote in message
    > >

    > > Steve Young wrote:
    > >
    > > > you would prolly need a filter like Nfilter, or eNfilter

    > > "Prolly"?
    > >
    > > Gary Eickmeier

    > Probbly
    >
    > Doug

    Prob-o-lib-o-ly

    Paul

    Paul H., Feb 17, 2004
  8. Steve Young

    John Navas Guest

    In <4cbYb.33047$> on Mon, 16 Feb
    2004 22:09:04 GMT, "Steve Young" <> wrote:

    >> "Jukka-Pekka Suominen" <> wrote

    >> The easiest way to get rid of him/her/it is to filter for "Organization:
    >> ", which will catch all of his/her/its, erm...
    >> posts.

    >you would prolly need a filter like Nfilter, or eNfilter

    Another option that is probably more effective in general is to use a naive
    Bayesian classifier. The one I use on my email, POPFile, is over 99.7%
    accrate, and there's an NNTP (Usenet news) proxy module for POPFile -- see
    <http://sourceforge.net/project/shownotes.php?release_id=195560>.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas

    John Navas, Feb 19, 2004
  9. Steve Young

    Lionel Guest

    Kibo informs me that John Navas <> stated
    that:

    >Another option that is probably more effective in general is to use a naive
    >Bayesian classifier. The one I use on my email, POPFile, is over 99.7%
    >accrate, and there's an NNTP (Usenet news) proxy module for POPFile -- see
    ><http://sourceforge.net/project/shownotes.php?release_id=195560>.

    I'm already using Popfilter for my email, & as you say, it's pretty
    good. Are you actually using the Usenet module yourself? At the time I
    looked at it, it was still very experimental, & very undocumented. If
    it's working for you, I'd like to give it another try.

    Lionel, Feb 19, 2004
  10. Steve Young

    John Navas Guest

    In <> on Thu, 19 Feb 2004 13:06:08
    +1100, Lionel <> wrote:

    >Kibo informs me that John Navas <> stated
    >that:
    >
    >>Another option that is probably more effective in general is to use a naive
    >>Bayesian classifier. The one I use on my email, POPFile, is over 99.7%
    >>accrate, and there's an NNTP (Usenet news) proxy module for POPFile -- see
    >><http://sourceforge.net/project/shownotes.php?release_id=195560>.

    >I'm already using Popfilter for my email, & as you say, it's pretty
    >good. Are you actually using the Usenet module yourself? At the time I
    >looked at it, it was still very experimental, & very undocumented. If
    >it's working for you, I'd like to give it another try.

    My understanding is that it just embeds standard POPFile headers. Since my
    newsreader of choice (Forte Agent) won't filter on arbitrary headers, there's
    no reason for me to even try it.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas

    John Navas, Feb 19, 2004
  11. Steve Young

    Lionel Guest

    Kibo informs me that John Navas <> stated
    that:

    >[POSTED TO rec.photo.digital - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
    >
    >In <> on Thu, 19 Feb 2004 13:06:08
    >+1100, Lionel <> wrote:
    >
    >>Kibo informs me that John Navas <> stated
    >>that:
    >>
    >>>Another option that is probably more effective in general is to use a naive
    >>>Bayesian classifier. The one I use on my email, POPFile, is over 99.7%
    >>>accrate, and there's an NNTP (Usenet news) proxy module for POPFile -- see
    >>><http://sourceforge.net/project/shownotes.php?release_id=195560>.

    >>I'm already using Popfilter for my email, & as you say, it's pretty
    >>good. Are you actually using the Usenet module yourself? At the time I
    >>looked at it, it was still very experimental, & very undocumented. If
    >>it's working for you, I'd like to give it another try.

    >My understanding is that it just embeds standard POPFile headers. Since my
    >newsreader of choice (Forte Agent) won't filter on arbitrary headers, there's
    >no reason for me to even try it.

    The standard version of Popfile can also tag subject lines, as well as
    inserting classification headers. Take a look at the Popfile Config
    page, top righthand corner, for the details.
    (And I use Agent too. ;)

    Lionel, Feb 19, 2004
  12. Steve Young

    John Navas Guest

    In <> on Fri, 20 Feb 2004 08:58:19
    +1100, Lionel <> wrote:

    >Kibo informs me that John Navas <> stated
    >that:
    >
    >>In <> on Thu, 19 Feb 2004 13:06:08
    >>+1100, Lionel <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Kibo informs me that John Navas <> stated
    >>>that:

    >>>I'm already using Popfilter for my email, & as you say, it's pretty
    >>>good. Are you actually using the Usenet module yourself? At the time I
    >>>looked at it, it was still very experimental, & very undocumented. If
    >>>it's working for you, I'd like to give it another try.

    >>My understanding is that it just embeds standard POPFile headers. Since my
    >>newsreader of choice (Forte Agent) won't filter on arbitrary headers, there's
    >>no reason for me to even try it.

    >The standard version of Popfile can also tag subject lines, as well as
    >inserting classification headers. ...

    Good point, but that would be global, and I *don't* want to alter the subject
    lines of my email -- even though false positives are few, it's a pain to
    restore the original subject lines.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas