Re: [SI] tens - The Duck Comments

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by PeterN, Aug 28, 2013.

  1. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 8/26/2013 10:09 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > SI Mandate: http://www.pbase.com/shootin/ten
    > ‘Duck comments:

    > Peter Newman:
    > Ten-01:
    > Abstract success!! A great, and imaginative execution of an in-camera
    > multi-exposure. This one works.

    Thanks, Far more of them don't work, than do.

    > Ten-02 (lines & intersections):
    > OK! Here is one of my technical nit picks. While this is a great
    > opportunistic capture, your attention to detail in post fails this
    > image. You have a truly dirty sensor and there are dust spots all over
    > this image, which are at the very least distracting.. Clean your sensor,
    > and/or spot heal in post.

    Don't know what caused that, but for some reason, possibly I was tired,
    I didn't notice the spots until it was too late.

    > Ten-03:
    > This shot is a fair enough high ISO, low speed capture of the lights and
    > bridges. I feel the image as submitted might be suffering from JPEG
    > compression.

    Yes, there was a loss due to compression. I still need to do a tad more
    post.

    As always, I appreciate comments, favorable, and not. I actually prefer
    unfavorable comments, with reasons. That way I may improve.

    --
    PeterN
    A/K/A the Faustian.

    PeterN, Aug 28, 2013

  2. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 8/28/2013 6:35 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2013-08-28 15:33:10 -0700, Savageduck
    > <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> said:

    >>> Thanks, Far more of them don't work, than do.

    >>> Don't know what caused that, but for some reason, possibly I was
    >>> tired, I didn't notice the spots until it was too late.

    >> Dust, or the D800 "spot syndrome". This is not the first of your D800
    >> shots with dust spot problems. Remember this, all the spots are
    >> indicated in red.
    >> <
    >> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/Shared Images/DSC3326-spotsw.jpg
    >> >

    > This one ID's more of the spots:
    > <
    > https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/Shared Images/DSC3769_3325-Spotw.jpg
    >

    >> You really need to clean the sensor on the D800. It seems to be more
    >> than the in-camera dust removal system can handle.
    >>
    >> I gave these links to rwalker to help with his focus screen crud problem.
    >> <
    >> http://www.micro-tools.com/store/~/C-6/Digital-Camera-Cleaning-Supplies.aspx
    >>

    >> < http://photosol.com/ >
    >> < http://www.2filter.com/prices/products/eclipse.html >

    >>> Yes, there was a loss due to compression. I still need to do a tad
    >>> more post.

    >> I have a feeling that this might be a case where less is more. ;-)
    >>
    >>> As always, I appreciate comments, favorable, and not. I actually
    >>> prefer unfavorable comments, with reasons. That way I may improve.

    >> ...and therein lies the spirit of the SI.

    I had the sensor cleaned professionally, before the trapeze shot was
    taken. I culdn't find dust spots on other shots. I wonder, I had just
    changed lenses, and it was quite windy.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Aug 29, 2013

  3. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 8/28/2013 10:54 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2013-08-28 19:26:09 -0700, PeterN <> said:
    >
    >> I had the sensor cleaned professionally, before the trapeze shot was
    >> taken. I culdn't find dust spots on other shots. I wonder, I had just
    >> changed lenses, and it was quite windy.

    > Well, the spots are undeniably there, you should get your money back.
    > <
    > https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/Shared Images/DSC3769_3325-Spotw.jpg
    >

    > However, changing lenses in windy conditions is not the best idea. If
    > you can't get back to your car, or some shelter, having a change bag is
    > a good way to to give yourself some protection. A pillow case does a
    > good job.
    >
    > An easy way to check for spots is to take a shot of a solid color field
    > like a clear blue sky, or a "green screen". Then check that image for
    > spots. Whoever did your "professional cleaning" should have done that
    > before returning your camera to you.
    >
    > I have never needed to have somebody else clean any of my dirty sensors.
    > My OJT under fire was with my dust magnet D70. With that camera wet
    > cleaning became second nature to me.
    >
    > Along with all sorts of cleaning stuff at home, I have one of the
    > Photographic Solutions, "Professional Digital Survival Kits" in my bag.
    > This also includes a useful magnifying lens with LED light. For your
    > D800 you will need the type 3 swabs.
    > < http://photosol.com/product/digital-survival-kit-professional-type-3/ >

    Thanks

    --