Re: [SI] Street - The Duck Comments - The Newman Edition

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Peter, Jan 8, 2013.

  1. Peter

    Peter Guest

    On 1/8/2013 8:27 AM, Savageduck wrote:> SI Mandate:
    http://www.pbase.com/shootin/street_photography

    > Peter Newman:
    > …and here is my addendum:
    >
    > Street-01:
    > OK! I guess you had to use a “street†to get to the beach. I would call
    > this more “eye-candy candid†than street. That is not to say I don’t
    > enjoy the anticipation to the hormone level changes I might experience
    > due to the promise of this capture. .

    South Beach can be seen from the street. :)

    > Street-02:
    > Nice capture! Now while your introduction of grain is better executed
    > than Bowser’s attempt, it seems a little less than subtle to me. I would
    > have preferred a lighter hand in that area. Though I suspect the problem
    > might have been the ISO 25,600 you used. Somehow I think that was you
    > pushing your new D800 to an extreme uncalled for at that particular
    > location.

    Your suspicion is entirely correct. I was pushing it, however, the
    lighting conditions required the high ISO. Look at my aperture and
    shutter speed and you will see what I mean. Also, in keeping with the
    mandate I did no post processing, except for some minor exposure
    corrections. I preferred to err on the side of graininess. Yes, I
    probably could have run some noise reduction but preferred not to.

    > Street-03:
    > Much better, but still a little noisy in the face. I like this shot.
    > I know you have this thing for high ISO, but just because your camera is
    > capable of capturing images at those high ISO levels doesn’t mean you
    > should push it all the time. The two B&W images you submitted would
    > have, in my opinion, been far better at a lower ISO.

    See above, and you will notice that I could not have run a much lower ISO.

    Besides, it has always been in my nature to push the limits.

    -- PeterN

    --
    PeterN
    Peter, Jan 8, 2013