Re: [SI] Steeples - What hasn't made the cut

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Peter Jason, Feb 1, 2013.

  1. Peter Jason

    Peter Jason Guest

    On Fri, 01 Feb 2013 13:22:07 +1300, Eric Stevens
    <> wrote:

    >I've already explained that there are few worthwhile steeples within
    >gunshot of where I live and that I am in any case presently restricted
    >in my movements. Instead I've gone to recent archives to extract
    >photographs of steeples and the like.
    >
    >All the photographs were taken under tourist conditions: no control of
    >the site, the distance, the nature or direction of the light, or the
    >weather in general. A good photograph is one without a stray head in
    >it.
    >
    >One of my problems is I tend to value content as much the technical
    >aspects. A technically lousy photograph of an interesting steeple
    >still ranks highly in my general opinion. I know that not everyone
    >holds that view (sigh). Anyway, I had to make a decision and the best
    >way seemed to be put up the ones which didn't make the cut, thereby
    >committing myself by implication to those that did make the cut.
    >
    >Here are two from Copenhagen:
    >https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31088803/IMG_0088_DxO.jpg is the
    >extraordinary spire of "Vor Frelsers Kirke" in Copenhagen. There is a
    >stairway to the top of the spire but it runs up the outside! I met
    >someone who has climbed it and he said once you get up a bit it feels
    >much safer if you go up backwards on the seat of your trousers.
    >
    >https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31088803/IMG_0101_DxO.jpg is the spire of St
    >Nikolaj Kirke. Just look at all that copper. The mounted gentleman is
    >the bishop. The speckled texture is due to overdoing it with DxO. I
    >can now do better.
    >
    >St Petersberg now:
    >https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31088803/IMG_0253_DxO.jpg are the 'spires' of
    >the family chapel on Queen Catherine's Palace. They told us "If it
    >looks like gold, it probably is gold".
    >https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31088803/IMG_0258_DxO.jpg helps put things
    >into perspective. You can see about half the servant's quarters to the
    >left of the chapel and less than half of the palace-proper to the
    >right of the chapel. You can only photograph the whole of this from
    >the air.
    >
    >https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31088803/IMG_0286_DxO.jpg is the "Peter and
    >Paul" Cathedral. The tower is 404' high and very difficult to
    >photograph from any accessible site on the ground. The murk was due to
    >the hot muggy atmosphere - 36C + high humidity I think it was that
    >day.
    >
    >These photographs are interesting but I don't think any of them are of
    >real merit.

    My niece was at a ball at the Catherine Place for
    Xmas 2011. Snow & ice everywhere. I'll try and
    get the pictures. All furs and jewels.
    Peter Jason, Feb 1, 2013