Re: [SI] Steeples -The 'Duck Comments

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by skp, Feb 12, 2013.

  1. skp

    skp Guest

    > KPetre:
    >
    > Steeples-01:
    >
    > This great building shot in this light is disappointing.Here is where
    >
    > some work in post processing or even HDR would have produced what I
    >
    > believe would have been a great image.

    Thanks.
    You must have realized by now I am not an expert on post processing and also not a great fan (Though I must admit sometimes it really helps the image).
    What you see is more or less what I saw at the camera on a not too bad Glasgow day (meaning at least it was dry).

    > Steeples-02:
    >
    > Here the contrasty light resulting in this silhouette has produced a
    >
    > very interesting and evocative image. Nicely done.

    Thanks, this is one of my favourites.
    Here is the crane, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnieston_Crane

    > Steeples-03:
    >
    > This is a great steeple/spire, but another one where I would have
    >
    > preferred to be able to discern more detail by lifting the shadows
    >
    > hiding that detail.

    Agreed.
    The building is University of Glasgow. It is the fourth oldest University in Western world (founded nearly 50 years before Christopher Columbus sailed to America) .

    Thanks for your comments, always looking forward to reading them.

    Regards
    K Petre
    skp, Feb 12, 2013

  2. skp

    skp Guest

    On Tuesday, February 12, 2013 3:33:50 PM UTC, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2013-02-12 07:06:12 -0800,
    >

    > >> KPetre:

    > >> Steeples-01:

    > >> This great building shot in this light is disappointing.Here is where

    > >> some work in post processing or even HDR would have produced what I

    > >> believe would have been a great image.

    > > Thanks.

    > > You must have realized by now I am not an expert on post processing and

    > > also not a great fan (Though I must admit sometimes it really helps the

    > > image).

    > > What you see is more or less what I saw at the camera on a not too bad

    > > Glasgow day (meaning at least it was dry).

    > For somebody interested in photography is is always worth learning a
    >
    > few simple fixes in post processes.
    >
    > Here is a quick fix to lift the shadows on the subject building in your
    >
    > shot. Not perfect, but better;
    >
    > < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/KPetre-01A.jpg >
    >

    > >> Steeples-02:

    > >> Here the contrasty light resulting in this silhouette has produced a

    > >> very interesting and evocative image. Nicely done.

    > > Thanks, this is one of my favourites.

    > > Here is the crane, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnieston_Crane

    > >> Steeples-03:

    > >> This is a great steeple/spire, but another one where I would have

    > >> preferred to be able to discern more detail by lifting the shadows

    > >> hiding that detail.

    > > Agreed.

    > > The building is University of Glasgow. It is the fourth oldest

    > > University in Western world (founded nearly 50 years before Christopher

    > > Columbus sailed to America) .

    > ...and here is a similar quick fix for that shot:
    >
    > < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/KPetre-03A.jpg >
    >

    > > Thanks for your comments, always looking forward to reading them.

    > > Regards

    > > K Petre

    > --
    >
    > Regards,
    >

    > Savageduck

    For both images I would still prefer my version, I think they just look more real. It's just the difference in styles.
    BTW I gave a misinformation regarding the Uni, it is actually the fourth in English speaking world. Apparently I don't think of rest of the Europe as Western :)
    And just burnt 4 pancakes writing this :(

    Regards
    K Petre
    skp, Feb 12, 2013