Re: [SI] Steeples Comments

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rob, Feb 12, 2013.

  1. Rob

    Rob Guest

    On 12/02/2013 11:17 AM, Bowser wrote:

    Comments

    Cooper very simple , I do like the refection of both.

    Tim1 This needs some colour correction and that wire removed
    Tim2 this again needs some tidying or a much cropped shoy to isolate
    the subject matter (TV and Lamp)
    Tim3 again I would not have tried to include the cables unless you are
    trying to convey a message.

    Bob1 Yep this is what we see nowadays its there buried
    Bob2 Clean and simple
    Bob3 This has far more impact that the previous shot

    Matha 2 I prefer this to the #1

    Peter Atlanta old - I keep trying to focus on this one, Is it movement
    or something else?

    Savage duck 03 I can't aspire to that one
    SD 01 I do like the composition and it tells a story
    SD 02 same again tell that story.

    DanP 01 its just there but I would have preferred that there be light
    (more) on the steeple as that is the subject matter.

    DanP 02 good contrast between the stack and the steeple is that ying
    and yang?
    Rob, Feb 12, 2013

  2. Rob

    John Turco Guest

    On 2/11/2013 11:51 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2013-02-11 20:21:20 -0800, Rob <> said:
    >>

    >> Savage duck 03 I can't aspire to that one

    > As I said in my accompanying note I was trying for a spire/steeple
    > metaphoric analog.
    > ...and puns aside you can certainly "aspire" to a similar shot. Just
    > plan a trip to California which avoids L.A., but includes Kings
    > Canyon-Sequoia National Park, and Yosemite NP. Don't forget to bring a
    > camera along.
    >
    >> SD 01 I do like the composition and it tells a story
    >> SD 02 same again tell that story.

    > That is the Franciscan Mission San Miguel. It is one of the chain of
    > Spanish missions which stretch from San Diego in the South to San
    > Francisco in the North. They are usually separated by one to two days
    > horse ride. Both towers are part of the original 1793 construction.
    > This particular mission went through many dramatic changes after it was
    > abandoned by the Franciscans when the Mexican government took a
    > decidedly anti-clergy stance. It was taken over by a family in the
    > 1830's to serve as a "ranchero". Eleven members of that family were
    > slaughtered in a raid by "banditos". Another part of the tale is that it
    > was also raided by legendary bandit Joaquin Murietta.
    > About the time California became a state, 1849, the mission San Miguel
    > was fashioned into an Inn and brothel. That was closed by a fire. A
    > restoration was funded by the US Government in the early 1920's and the
    > mission was handed back to the Catholic Church in the 1930's. It has
    > been run and administered by Franciscan ever since.
    >
    > In 2003 we had a magnitude 6.5 earthquake <
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Simeon_earthquake > which brought down
    > buildings in nearby Paso Robles, and severely damaged the mission and
    > the adobe brick bell tower. In the restoration from earthquake damage
    > they did not replace the original sun baked brick, so the white patches
    > in my shot indicate where original bricKs were not available to complete
    > the restoration.

    Oops, your own "Shift" key got ya, this time! What's that uppercase "K"
    doing, in the last "bricKs" reference?

    John
    John Turco, Feb 13, 2013