Re: [SI] "Sounds" has been posted!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by tony cooper, Sep 20, 2010.

  1. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 13:20:26 -0400, Bowser <> wrote:

    >The latest Shootin gallery has been posted, and is available for
    >viewing
    >
    >http://www.pbase.com/shootin/seasonal_sounds

    Some very nice photographs this time around. Some of the ones that
    don't really depict sound are still well-worth a look.

    Skimmers - Peter Newman - Interesting composition, but looks like a PS
    masking job where the birds are left alone and the background blurred.
    Do those birds not have eyes?

    If I Am Elected - Peter Newman - Very nice. Good composition, good
    color, and the "sounds" theme is well presented.

    Tanglewood - Peter Newman - Fits the theme, but the capture is not all
    that interesting. (I am such a O/C pedant that I have to correct the
    spelling of the word. I can't help myself.)

    Merry-Go-Round - Savageduck - Yes, I can hear the sound. Busy and
    very saturated, but that *adds* to the image.

    Guitarist on Stage - Savageduck - Again, a lot of saturation, but this
    gives the feeling of warmth to an outdoor event. The inclusion of
    spectators adds to this. Most people shoot just the musicians and I
    think this is a mistake. When the musicians are performing for an
    audience, the audience should be in the photo to complete the image.

    Cobra - Savageduck - Anyone who thinks that sound cannot be
    represented in photography should look at these images and Bowser's
    rail.

    It's interesting to see the two different techniques used in
    Savageduck's and Bowser's racing photos. The Duck stopped the action
    but you know it's there. Bowser went for panning and blur. Both
    techniques work.

    Epping rail - Bowser - Nice capture at 1/60th. I would have used a
    little PS magic and painted some light on the driver's face...just
    enough to make out the features.

    Geezers - Bowser - A bit like the Tanglewood shot: it conveys sound,
    but the subject lacks interest. Maybe opening up the shot and
    including some blue-hairs in the audience would add something.

    Blacksmiths - Bowser - I can hear the "clang". This might be better
    as a square crop without the it-doesn't-add-stuff on the left.

    SOS - Tim Conway - I like this shot. I hear gulls screeching.

    Waves - Bob Coe - I can hear it, but I don't feel it.

    Paddleboat - Bob Coe - I can't hear it.

    Pirate Girl - Bob Coe - I don't see how this one fits in this mandate
    at all, but it's a cute shot. I like the peepers behind her.

    Bugler - Martha Coe - We need a cobra coming out of a basket.

    Piano Lesson - Martha Coe - Please clone that sign out of the door
    glass! We have sound here, and a definite feeling that the piano
    lesson is interfering with her other plans.

    Gegendämmerung - Martha Coe - I hope John Sisker sees this. Who needs
    blue sky when you can do this?

    Mosquito Wing - Paul Furman - Really? Incredible photo. I had no
    idea what a mosquito wing looks like up close. I can hear that
    high-pitched whine of a mosquito.

    Cooper - None of mine were shot for the mandate. I forgot about it
    and pulled three from the archives.

    Why didn't someone think of photographing one of those ice cream
    trucks that go through neighborhoods? One is going by as I write this
    and playing "Pop Goes The Weasel" over and over and over.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Sep 20, 2010

  2. tony cooper

    Peter Guest

    "tony cooper" <> wrote in message

    > Skimmers - Peter Newman - Interesting composition, but looks like a PS
    > masking job where the birds are left alone and the background blurred.
    > Do those birds not have eyes?

    Almost right. the bird on the right was PS. The bird on the left is as shot,
    including the background. I used a 1.7 tele-converter on my 70-200 f2.8. I
    don't recall the actual aperature setting, but this set up does not provide
    much depth of filed. The shot was made early in the morning and their eyes
    were not visible because of the low light angle. Their eyes, are buried in
    the black feathers.

    > If I Am Elected - Peter Newman - Very nice. Good composition, good
    > color, and the "sounds" theme is well presented.

    thank you. I originally considered cloning out the gull on the lower left.

    > Tanglewood - Peter Newman - Fits the theme, but the capture is not all
    > that interesting. (I am such a O/C pedant that I have to correct the
    > spelling of the word. I can't help myself.)

    (OK I have dyslexic fingers.)

    That was one of the shots that is more interesting to the shooter. The
    conductor wsa John Williams, who is one of my musical idols.

    Peter, Sep 21, 2010

  3. tony cooper

    > Skimmers - Peter Newman - Interesting composition, but looks like a PS
    > masking job where the birds are left alone and the background blurred.
    > Do those birds not have eyes?

    Almost right. the bird on the right was PS. The bird on the left is as shot,
    including the background. I used a 1.7 tele-converter on my 70-200 f2.8. I
    don't recall the actual aperture setting, but this set up does not provide
    much depth of field. The shot was made early in the morning and their eyes
    were not visible because of the low light angle. Their eyes are buried in
    the black feathers.

    > If I Am Elected - Peter Newman - Very nice. Good composition, good
    > color, and the "sounds" theme is well presented.

    thank you. I originally considered cloning out the gull on the lower left.

    > Tanglewood - Peter Newman - Fits the theme, but the capture is not all
    > that interesting. (I am such a O/C pedant that I have to correct the
    > spelling of the word. I can't help myself.)

    (OK, OK I have dyslexic fingers.)

    That was one of the shots that is more interesting to the shooter. You are
    correct, I was too engrossed with the conductor, John Williams, who is one
    of my musical idols. Notice that Jack Warner is applauding.

    --
    Peter

    Peter, Sep 21, 2010
  4. tony cooper

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 20:07:56 -0400, "Peter" <>
    wrote:
    : "tony cooper" <> wrote in message
    : news:...
    : > If I Am Elected - Peter Newman - Very nice. Good composition, good
    : > color, and the "sounds" theme is well presented.
    :
    : thank you. I originally considered cloning out the gull on the lower left.

    No! He looks appropriately bored. And who knew that Sally Trailerpark was a
    seagull? In any case, this is my favorite of the lot.

    : > Tanglewood - Peter Newman - Fits the theme, but the capture is not all
    : > that interesting. (I am such a O/C pedant that I have to correct the
    : > spelling of the word. I can't help myself.)
    :
    : (OK I have dyslexic fingers.)
    :
    : That was one of the shots that is more interesting to the shooter. The
    : conductor wsa John Williams, who is one of my musical idols.

    Got that!! But we're from Boston, so of course we'd recognize him. :^)

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Sep 21, 2010
  5. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 17:57:40 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >Anyway, interesting observations Tony. Thanks for taking the time to
    >add your comments.

    I hope we have more comments from the participants and from the
    non-participants. One of the major reasons some of us send in our
    stuff is to see how others see our work.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Sep 21, 2010
  6. tony cooper

    sid Guest

    tony cooper wrote:

    > I hope we have more comments from the participants and from the
    > non-participants. One of the major reasons some of us send in our
    > stuff is to see how others see our work.

    Ok, I'll try for the first time. See reply up there ^ in the thread

    Please be as honest with mine if Bowser sees fit to put them up as they were
    sent very late.

    --
    sid
    RLU 300284

    sid, Sep 21, 2010
  7. tony cooper

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 18:55:13 -0400, tony cooper <>
    wrote:
    : Waves - Bob Coe - I can hear it, but I don't feel it.

    Just as well. The Bay is very cold this time of year.

    : Paddleboat - Bob Coe - I can't hear it.

    Because "steamboats" are now Diesel-powered and absurdly quiet. Notice that no
    smoke escapes the smokestacks either. :^(

    : Pirate Girl - Bob Coe - I don't see how this one fits in this mandate
    : at all, but it's a cute shot. I like the peepers behind her.

    Pirates make a lot of noise. Especially these pirates. The resolute look on
    the lead pirate, who doubles as my youngest granddaughter, could indicate that
    she and the rest of her cohort are about to seize control of the boat. But no,
    they're actually in a limbo line, and Sophie is next under the bar. The
    worried look on the others is not that they're going to take a bullet in the
    belly, but that they might fall on their butts in front of the other kids and
    camera-clicking parents.

    : Bugler - Martha Coe - We need a cobra coming out of a basket.

    I'm not that good. He'd probably comment on the music by biting me.

    : Piano Lesson - Martha Coe - Please clone that sign out of the door
    : glass!

    If I'd had any sense, I'd have pulled those signs down as soon as we got
    there. They were clearly an eyesore, and we knew that we were going to spend
    the week taking pictures of the grandchildren, indoors and out.

    : We have sound here, and a definite feeling that the piano
    : lesson is interfering with her other plans.

    It was actually quite the opposite. Nía doesn't have a piano at home and
    greatly enjoyed trying to play this one. (So did the other two, but their
    playing was, shall we say, a bit dissonant.) Shep taught her a couple of
    songs, and she did pretty darned well.

    : Gegendämmerung - Martha Coe - I hope John Sisker sees this. Who needs
    : blue sky when you can do this?

    Martha appreciated the compliment, but seemed a bit concerned that she'll get
    typed as Sisker's nemesis, which she certainly didn't intend. Somebody (you?)
    made a very similar comment about her picture of the Wayside Inn gristmill a
    few months ago.

    : Why didn't someone think of photographing one of those ice cream
    : trucks that go through neighborhoods? One is going by as I write this
    : and playing "Pop Goes The Weasel" over and over and over.

    Now that you mention it, I don't think I've heard one of those all summer. Our
    town tried to ban them a few years ago, but an outcry by the kids persuaded
    the Powers That Be to (grudgingly) reinstate them. Maybe there aren't enough
    kids around in the summer to support them anymore.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Sep 22, 2010
  8. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 22:45:32 -0400, Robert Coe <> wrote:

    >: Gegendämmerung - Martha Coe - I hope John Sisker sees this. Who needs
    >: blue sky when you can do this?
    >
    >Martha appreciated the compliment, but seemed a bit concerned that she'll get
    >typed as Sisker's nemesis, which she certainly didn't intend. Somebody (you?)
    >made a very similar comment about her picture of the Wayside Inn gristmill a
    >few months ago.

    Sisker is his own nemesis.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida