Re: [SI] Shootin - Mandate request.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by tony cooper, Sep 29, 2008.

  1. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 11:30:29 -0400, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:

    >Please submit mandates. In the current round, we are looking for
    >concrete and approachable mandates to encourage more photographers to
    >participate. Please avoid abstract themes.

    I like mandates that are *not* concrete, but are met by the
    imagination of the shooter and require some innovation in composition.

    Examples. Shapes...find something with a triangle in it.
    Numbers...find something with 5 like things in it. Contrast...find a
    scene with something large and something small in the scene or
    something old and something new.

    A theme can be abstract in subject but still concrete in some aspect
    within the subject.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Sep 29, 2008

  2. "Troy Piggins" <> wrote in message
    >* tony cooper wrote :
    >> On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 11:30:29 -0400, Alan Browne
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Please submit mandates. In the current round, we are looking for
    >>> concrete and approachable mandates to encourage more photographers to
    >>> participate. Please avoid abstract themes.

    >> I like mandates that are *not* concrete, but are met by the
    >> imagination of the shooter and require some innovation in composition.
    >>
    >> Examples. Shapes...find something with a triangle in it.
    >> Numbers...find something with 5 like things in it. Contrast...find a
    >> scene with something large and something small in the scene or
    >> something old and something new.
    >>
    >> A theme can be abstract in subject but still concrete in some aspect
    >> within the subject.

    > Agreed - and I like all those ideas.
    >
    > --
    > Troy Piggins
    > I always appreciate critique.

    but wasn't it the abstract nature of a lot of the mandates that, in the past
    led to the almost untimely demise of the SI ??

    Don Hirschberg

    Atheist Chaplain, Sep 29, 2008

  3. tony cooper

    Helen Guest

    Re: Shootin - Mandate request.

    On Sep 30, 5:59 pm, Alan Browne <>
    wrote:
    > Atheist Chaplain wrote:
    > > but wasn't it the abstract nature of a lot of the mandates that, in the past
    > > led to the almost untimely demise of the SI ??

    > That was part of it (in my opinion), which is why I've been asking for
    > more concrete mandates.
    >
    > --
    > -- r.p.e.35mm user resource:http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm
    > --        r.p.d.slr-systems:http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsysur.htm
    > --      [SI] gallery & rulz:http://www.pbase.com/shootin
    > --                   e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
    > -- usenet posts from gmail.com and googlemail.com are filtered out.

    I thought of one mandate that could be open for many interpretations:
    the art of light, or just light.

    Helen, Sep 30, 2008
  4. tony cooper

    Helen Guest

    Re: Shootin - Mandate request.

    On Sep 30, 6:30 pm, Alan Browne <>
    wrote:
    > Helen wrote:
    > > On Sep 30, 5:59 pm, Alan Browne <>
    > > wrote:
    > >> That was part of it (in my opinion), which is why I've been asking for
    > >> more concrete mandates.

    > >> --
    > >> -- r.p.e.35mm user resource:http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm
    > >> --        r.p.d.slr-systems:http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsysur.htm
    > >> --      [SI] gallery & rulz:http://www.pbase.com/shootin
    > >> --                   e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
    > >> -- usenet posts from gmail.com and googlemail.com are filtered out.

    > > I thought of one mandate that could be open for many interpretations:
    > > the art of light, or just light.

    > That's a good mandate, but you just missed me!  See new post.

    Lol. No problem. Perhaps my suggestion could be used for a future
    Mandate.

    Helen, Sep 30, 2008
  5. tony cooper

    Helen Guest

    Re: Shootin - Mandate request.

    On Sep 30, 7:20 pm, Alan Browne <>
    wrote:
    > Helen wrote:
    > > Lol.  No problem.  Perhaps my suggestion could be used for a future
    > > Mandate.

    > Indeed.
    >
    > --

    Thanks Alan.

    Helen, Oct 1, 2008
  6. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 22:39:08 -0700, John McWilliams
    <> wrote:

    >Alan Browne wrote:
    >> Atheist Chaplain wrote:
    >>
    >>> but wasn't it the abstract nature of a lot of the mandates that, in
    >>> the past led to the almost untimely demise of the SI ??

    >> That was part of it (in my opinion), which is why I've been asking for
    >> more concrete mandates.

    >Here's one: Concrete.
    >
    >Seriously. The building material, that is.

    That's too abstract. You need specific examples of the use of
    concrete to remove the abstract aspect of this as a mandate. For
    example: types of overshoes.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Oct 1, 2008