Re: [SI] "S" is available for viewing!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by tony cooper, Jul 26, 2011.

  1. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Mon, 25 Jul 2011 19:15:04 -0400, Bowser <> wrote:

    >Some Super Shots can be seen here:
    >
    >http://www.pbase.com/shootin/letter_s

    Commenting only on selected shots:

    S-GZ...Good capture at the right time of day, but I think I'd crop the
    reflection of the clouds out. Photos need not be in standard sizes.

    S-01...That's ugly, Duck. Ugly, ugly, ugly. It is almost painful to
    look at. Good capture, though.

    S-Sandhill Crane...I went out to shoot a new version of a Sandhill
    Crane. I have an older shot:
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Animals/Birds/B-Color-Redeye-739/472170736_SHNrG-XL.jpg
    Sandhills are the only bird that I know of where eye color varies
    markedly. All of the Sandhills seen recently have yellow eyes, but
    both of these shots were taken within a mile or so of each other. All
    the currently-seen Sandhills have dark neck feathers, but the red-eyed
    one photographed earlier had white neck feathers.

    The background in the SI shot is natural, not altered in Photoshop.

    Shaky Skaters...I like this shot of Otter's for the naturalness and
    for the lines of shadows.

    Sadness...This one of Irwell's jumps out. It looks dimensional.

    Sidewalk Shadow...There's nothing here. Just a jumble of different
    things. So why do I keep looking at it? This is one of those shots
    that captures the eye even though it doesn't have a central subject.

    Seafront Storage...Pete's picked an interesting and colorful scene. I
    like the angle view instead of a head-on view. I'd like to see the
    series if he took several shots, and see if there's one that lends
    itself better to cropping.

    Bowser-s (Seagull)...Nicely caught.

    Bowser-s (Statue)...Good composition. Classic, even.

    Soldier/Strawberry...I like Peter's photo, but the red tooth needs
    pulling. The title confuses me. If this is a soldier, it must be one
    of those recreationists. Good conversion to b&w.

    Strings...You just posted this to encourage a discussion about bokeh,
    didn't you Peter?

    ISO 1250?

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Jul 26, 2011

  2. tony cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/26/2011 11:39 AM, tony cooper wrote:

    > S-01...That's ugly, Duck. Ugly, ugly, ugly. It is almost painful to
    > look at. Good capture, though.

    His mother loves him

    > S-Sandhill Crane...I went out to shoot a new version of a Sandhill
    > Crane. I have an older shot:

    I like this one better.

    > http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Animals/Birds/B-Color-Redeye-739/472170736_SHNrG-XL.jpg
    > Sandhills are the only bird that I know of where eye color varies
    > markedly. All of the Sandhills seen recently have yellow eyes, but
    > both of these shots were taken within a mile or so of each other. All
    > the currently-seen Sandhills have dark neck feathers, but the red-eyed
    > one photographed earlier had white neck feathers.
    >

    > Soldier/Strawberry...I like Peter's photo, but the red tooth needs
    > pulling. The title confuses me. If this is a soldier, it must be one
    > of those recreationists. Good conversion to b&w.

    Thank you. It was in a Civil War training camp.

    > Strings...You just posted this to encourage a discussion about bokeh,
    > didn't you Peter?

    No other reason.

    > ISO 1250?

    I have been playing with a higher ISO. I did lose some color intensity.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Jul 27, 2011

  3. tony cooper

    Pete A Guest

    On 2011-07-26 16:39:39 +0100, tony cooper said:

    > Commenting only on selected shots:
    > [...]
    >
    > Seafront Storage...Pete's picked an interesting and colorful scene. I
    > like the angle view instead of a head-on view. I'd like to see the
    > series if he took several shots, and see if there's one that lends
    > itself better to cropping.

    While attempting to capture the Martello tower in the background I
    found this scene by chance. My other two shots of it didn't work at
    all; I'll try again another day.

    This SI has some really good images, but the one that blew me away was
    your Sandhill Crane. After I clicked on the thumbnail I nearly jumped
    out of my chair.

    Pete A, Jul 27, 2011
  4. tony cooper

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 10:59:06 +0100, Pete A <>
    wrote:
    : On 2011-07-26 16:39:39 +0100, tony cooper said:
    :
    : > Commenting only on selected shots:
    : > [...]
    : >
    : > Seafront Storage...Pete's picked an interesting and colorful scene. I
    : > like the angle view instead of a head-on view. I'd like to see the
    : > series if he took several shots, and see if there's one that lends
    : > itself better to cropping.
    :
    : While attempting to capture the Martello tower in the background I
    : found this scene by chance. My other two shots of it didn't work at
    : all; I'll try again another day.
    :
    : This SI has some really good images, but the one that blew me away was
    : your Sandhill Crane. After I clicked on the thumbnail I nearly jumped
    : out of my chair.

    Agreed. An unusually fine avian image!

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Jul 28, 2011