Re: [SI] Runoff vote for next mandate

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by tony cooper, May 5, 2012.

  1. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sat, 05 May 2012 10:45:10 -0400, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:

    >Here is the voting result:
    >http://dl.dropbox.com/u/62816810/SI mandate list.pdf (30 kB).
    >
    >So, please vote between:
    >
    >Abstractions
    >Signs
    >Macro/Closeup
    >Pairs - Repetitions, echoes, series
    >Doors
    >Food
    >
    >Three (3) votes per person. We'd love to wrap this up by Sun evening.
    >If the results are too spread we'll just use them as the next few mandates.

    I vote to eliminate "signs". Photos of signs are generally taken
    because there's something funny about the sign. That's not much of a
    photographic exercise. It's more of a scavenger hunt to find a typo,
    unintentional error, or intentional attention-grabbing.

    I call this one "Our shameful past":
    http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f244/cooper213/2010-09-28-hastings.jpg

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, May 5, 2012

  2. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sat, 05 May 2012 18:00:51 -0400, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:

    >On 2012-05-05 16:30 , tony cooper wrote:
    >> On Sat, 05 May 2012 10:45:10 -0400, Alan Browne
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Here is the voting result:
    >>> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/62816810/SI mandate list.pdf (30 kB).
    >>>
    >>> So, please vote between:
    >>>
    >>> Abstractions
    >>> Signs
    >>> Macro/Closeup
    >>> Pairs - Repetitions, echoes, series
    >>> Doors
    >>> Food
    >>>
    >>> Three (3) votes per person. We'd love to wrap this up by Sun evening.
    >>> If the results are too spread we'll just use them as the next few mandates.

    >> I vote to eliminate "signs".

    >Could you just vote for the three, of above, that you like?

    Pairs, Doors, Close-up

    But, I'm losing interest. It was fun when several people commented on
    all of the shots and you got to see what other people saw and thought
    about your photo. Now, the thread dies after the results are posted.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, May 6, 2012

  3. tony cooper

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 5 May 2012 16:29:55 -0700, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
    wrote:
    : On 2012-05-05 16:00:48 -0700, tony cooper <> said:
    : > But, I'm losing interest. It was fun when several people commented on
    : > all of the shots and you got to see what other people saw and thought
    : > about your photo. Now, the thread dies after the results are posted.
    :
    : Guilty as charged, but i do not accept full responsibility for the lack
    : of comments. For this past SI the only two providing meaningful
    : comments were Dudley, who did so with the help of some who could give
    : him sighted assistance, and PeterN who was unable to contribute in any
    : other way.
    : The exchange Noons aimed at Alan could hardly be termed anything other
    : than a swipe at Alan.
    :
    : In the past I have done my best to comment, and I am feeling a tad
    : jaded. I admit I find it odd that from the bunch of opinionated SI
    : contributors, opinionated non-contributors, and lurkers to be found in
    : these photo-groups, that there aren't more who would give us more than
    : the "Bruce" or "Noons" condemnation.
    : I also feel that piggy-backing on an other's comments is just shear
    : laziness and poor form. ...

    OK, I was more or less with you, up to this point. But if we need more
    comments (and we do), knocking people for how they provide their comments
    seems self-defeating to me.

    Not everybody in the group is retired and has time to kill. I'm sitting here
    on a weekend, trying to work my way through the 340 images I took at an awards
    ceremony yesterday, to try to be ready for next week, when I have to
    photograph a public meeting on strategic IT planning, replete with multiple
    focus groups. And a "dress rehearsal" for said meeting earlier in the week.
    Then the week after, another awards ceremony (with 50 recipients); and the
    week after that, a reception (with national diginitaries supposedly present)
    for the late Congressman "Tip" O'Neill's 100th birthday; the Arts Council's
    "River Festival" the first weekend in June; etc., etc.

    Don't get me wrong: I'm not bitching. I'm damned lucky that they like my work
    well enough to let me do photography on company time. But that, and the "real"
    rest of my job, keep me awfully busy. Sometimes I find time to participate in
    the SI, sometimes not. And even when I do, I don't always have time to provide
    comments on others' work. (I take commenting seriously and try not to do a
    half-assed job.) So please cut me, and others in my situation, some slack.

    I'm afraid I'm not in a good mood this evening. The once-a-year "supermoon" is
    socked in with clouds and cannot be photographed. It peeked through for a few
    minutes, but I forgot to turn on spot metering and pretty much missed the
    show. Now it seems unlikely to appear again. <grumble!>

    Bob
    Robert Coe, May 6, 2012
  4. tony cooper

    Pablo Guest

    Pablo, May 6, 2012
  5. tony cooper

    Guest

    Savageduck escribió:
    > don't be a disruptive ass, and hide
    > behind a clandestine header change without at least advising what you
    > had done.

    First of all, **** off.

    Looking back to try and find out what the hell you are talking about, it
    seems that my newsreader automatically sets followups to whatever group I'm
    reading at the time. Not something I've consciously done. Noone has
    mentioned it before. Perhaps you should take it up with the kde people. If
    it offends enough people, I'll consider investigating how to change the
    program's behaviour.

    <followups bodged back for your benefit>

    --
    Pablo

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/wibbleypants/
    http://paulc.es/piso/index.php
    , May 6, 2012
  6. tony cooper

    Pablo Guest

    Savageduck escribió:

    > On 2012-05-06 05:19:51 -0700, said:

    >> Looking back to try and find out what the hell you are talking about, it
    >> seems that my newsreader automatically sets followups to whatever group
    >> I'm reading at the time.

    > So you have no idea how your Usenet client, KNode 4.4.8 works?

    I have some issues with it, but overall it's ok. It snips sigs, replies at
    the bottom, complains about long lines etc. Apparently, out of the box it
    does something that you don't like. That makes me an idiot, obviously.

    >> Not something I've consciously done.

    > Then I guess I should apologize for implying that you might be a
    > conscious and deliberate disruptive ass. There are some character
    > traits you just don't notice when you are that close to them.

    You are a bit silly. I can't believe that we still have netkops. I thought
    they died out in the 90s.

    >> Noone has
    >> mentioned it before.

    > I have now.

    Do you have a killfile?

    >> Perhaps you should take it up with the kde people.

    > Why? I don't use KNode 4.4.8, you do.

    But you're the one with the problem. Oh, you're just showing off that you
    know how to read usenet headers. You're very clever.

    >> If it offends enough people, I'll consider investigating how to change
    >> the program's behaviour.

    > Good idea.

    But until then...

    >> <followups bodged back for your benefit>

    > Much appreciated.

    ....that was a one-off. Continuing now to be "disruptive by default".

    Pablo, May 6, 2012
  7. tony cooper

    Guest

    Re: knode default behaviour and a whingeing duck.

    http://fixunix.com/kde/92569-knode-follow-ups.html

    http://www.spinics.net/linux/fedora/fedora-kde/msg01666.html

    http://lists.debian.org/debian-qt-kde/2011/03/msg00191.html

    --
    Pablo

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/wibbleypants/
    http://paulc.es/piso/index.php
    , May 6, 2012
  8. tony cooper

    Pablo Guest

    Savageduck escribió:

    > It seems the time might have come to seek out a new client for your
    > particular OS..

    As this has now gone wildly off topic, I assume you aren't going to complain
    about followups in this post?

    I have tried various newsreaders and ended up with knode. I can see why some
    might find this default behaviour a problem. I don't normally get involved
    in cross-posting, so am not massively concerned. I hadn't even noticed this
    thread was cross-posted. I think that the version of knode that I'm using is
    a fork, so every time I search for help, it refers to another version
    branch.

    I'm thinking of "upgrading" from lucid to maverick (after doing a full
    backup - am half way through a translation that's due in on Tuesday), so
    we'll se what version of knode I end up with.

    Pablo, May 6, 2012
  9. tony cooper

    Pablo Guest

    Savageduck escribió:

    > Now that I am aware of your particular condition, I will take that into
    > account if I am moved to respond to your "Pablo" or ""
    > nom de guerre in the future.

    I believe that is a standard usenet anon/antispam email address. And the
    Spanish version of my name came from my default usenet id at the time of
    subscribing. Can't be arsed to change it. Curiously, it's the name I post
    under in the English language groups, for the same reason.

    > BTW; Were you actually considering participating in the SI?
    > Since you have a camera and actually use it without fear of an
    > occasional comment, as evidenced by your Flickr account, you might as
    > well join the rest of us lazy crappy photographers in our attempt to
    > challenge ourselves a bit.

    Ha ha. Have you seen my photos? The butt of many a joke. Also, I don't
    actually know what the SI is.

    Pablo, May 6, 2012
  10. tony cooper

    Pablo Guest

    Savageduck escribió:

    > SI = Shoot-In
    >
    > Here are the somewhat loose rulz:
    > < http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage >

    Bookmarked. Will try to find time to participate.

    > You will have nothing to loose by submitting a shot or three.

    Must get the imagination into gear.

    Heh. Cleared the followups box and got:

    "You are crossposting to more than two newsgroups.
    Please use the "Followup-To" header to direct the replies to your article
    into one group.
    Do you want to re-edit the article or send it anyway?"

    Pablo, May 6, 2012
  11. tony cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 5/5/2012 7:29 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    <SNIP>>

    > I also feel that piggy-backing on an other's comments is just shear
    > laziness and poor form. Responding to comments is also a welcome part of
    > the dialog which has been missing recently.

    I admit to being lazy. However, there are times when I will add to, or
    amplify a comment. I also tend not to comment on an image that doesn't
    move me.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, May 6, 2012
  12. tony cooper

    sid Guest

    Savageduck wrote:

    >> Heh. Cleared the followups box and got:
    >>
    >> "You are crossposting to more than two newsgroups.
    >> Please use the "Followup-To" header to direct the replies to your article
    >> into one group.
    >> Do you want to re-edit the article or send it anyway?"

    > It seems that KNode is doing its best to control you and effect its
    > agenda on the usenet.

    I think you'll find it's doing its best to let you know you are about to do
    something traditionally frowned upon among the denizens of usenet.

    jus' sayin'

    --
    sid
    RLU 300284
    sid, May 6, 2012
  13. tony cooper

    sid Guest

    Savageduck wrote:

    > On 2012-05-06 12:30:04 -0700, sid <>
    > said:

    >>> It seems that KNode is doing its best to control you and effect its
    >>> agenda on the usenet.

    >> I think you'll find it's doing its best to let you know you are about to
    >> do something traditionally frowned upon among the denizens of usenet.
    >>
    >> jus' sayin'

    > This is a subject which rears its ugly head from time to time.
    >
    > The key to your remark are the words "traditionally frowned upon".
    > However, Sid, there are times when non-spam, subject appropriate OT
    > X-posting is preferred. Your software shouldn't nag you about that, or
    > make an arbitrary change to the correct and appropriate intent of the
    > OP.

    Regardless of "your" view on the subject, the traditional way of using a
    cross post would be to set follow ups to one of the groups cross posted into
    and make it plain that you have done so. The software is merely pointing
    this out to you. You may still *do as you damn well please* if that is your
    want.

    > There are certainly times when multiple posts are a true PIA,
    > especially when an X-post would be appropriate and post is made to two,
    > or three of the four usual groups used by the photography usenet
    > community.

    and follow ups set to one of the groups, yes

    > That said, it still seems odd that this piece of software has taken
    > over the role of usenet cop for one particular practice, when there are
    > times X-posting is a useful evil. Methinks one of the KNode developers
    > has an issue with X-posting and is compelling users of his software to
    > toe the line.

    People used to care about order and standards and and and ..................

    --
    sid
    RLU 300284
    sid, May 6, 2012