Re: [SI] Rulz proposal on Commentz

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by tony cooper, Aug 10, 2012.

  1. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 10:16:44 -0400, SI Committee
    <> wrote:

    >On 2012-08-09 22:04 , Savageduck wrote:
    >> On 2012-08-09 17:41:55 -0700, SI Committee

    >>> "Comments are to be submitted by e-mail to the SI admin in
    >>> the 5 days following the posting of the images for that round.

    >> This adds to the burden of the Committee with regard to data handling.

    >Considered by The Committee and deemed to be of little extra burden
    >given the new Cray XT5 we installed last month to handle images and
    >other data.
    >
    >>> Comments shall not be posted in the usenet groups where the SI
    >>> is normally discussed (distribution above) by the commentatorz.

    >> This changes the SI fundamentally from what was a unique Usenet
    >> experience into something else. If there is going to be a dialog
    >> stimulated by one SI image, or all of them, let that dialog take place,
    >> unfiltered in the Photo-groups

    >Who said filtered? This is just a time delay and letting all the
    >comments appear at once without later commentators seeing the output of
    >others.
    >>
    >>> The SI admin shall not read the commentz.

    >> Good luck with that!

    >The admin ignores all sorts of stuff, a bunch of comments is child's play.
    >

    >>> The SI Admin will then post all of the commentz at the same
    >>> time on the 6th day following the posting of the images. And
    >>> such to be a separate post for each commentator."

    >> This is going to get messy!
    >> I don't believe this proposal will satisfy the full, partial, or cherry
    >> picker commentators, lurkers, or pseudo-indifferents. I believe there is
    >> a reflexive expectation that comments should somehow, miraculously
    >> appear within minutes of the publication of a mandate vis Pbase.

    >Then I suggest everyone stop whining about the making of, content,
    >character and quality of comments.
    >
    >In essence those who make photos that meet the mandate have it over
    >those who don't.
    >
    >Those who make comments (if at all) have it over those who don't.
    >
    >Griping about comments (other than responding to particulars of a given
    >comment) in general is a waste of bandwidth.

    I've been pretty faithful in making comments about all or some of the
    images each time. The current system is rather haphazard in that some
    people's comments appear in all groups and some appear in just one
    group. Having the Supreme Commander organize them and post them all
    in an orderly manner would stop that. At first.

    Then, the replies to comments would spring up in a haphazard manner.

    I'm neither strongly against it nor strongly for it. I don't think
    this group takes well to rules or rulz. The biggest failing of the
    proposed idea is that it would require a deadline to be included in
    the master release. I don't think that would work. I don't see how
    it would encourage comments, and may discourage some from people who
    would chime in later.

    I think it's best to leave things as-is, but I'm not going to get all
    hot and bothered if the system is tried.

    The only additional rule I would like to see - and it's more of a
    suggestion than a rule - is that all comments should include a link to
    the PBase page. I get tired of finding that link again to understand
    a comment about an image that I've forgotten what looks like.

    As a two-screen user, I put up the PBase page on one screen and read
    the comments on the second screen. I do bookmark the PBase page, but
    I have a lot of bookmarks.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Aug 10, 2012

  2. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 10:50:06 -0400, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:

    >On 2012-08-10 10:34 , tony cooper wrote:
    >
    >> The only additional rule I would like to see - and it's more of a
    >> suggestion than a rule - is that all comments should include a link to
    >> the PBase page. I get tired of finding that link again to understand
    >> a comment about an image that I've forgotten what looks like.

    >I usually do put the name of the photog and the link.
    >
    >I would suggest that this is a recommendation (that I agree
    >wholeheartedly with) and I'll add it to the non-rulz comments
    >suggestions on the rulz page that nobody reads.
    >

    >> As a two-screen user, I put up the PBase page on one screen and read
    >> the comments on the second screen. I do bookmark the PBase page, but
    >> I have a lot of bookmarks.

    >But you're using a Windows system with two screens, it must be UN-bearable!

    It's a lot of heavy lifting, I know. Sometime I waste as much as a
    full second manhandling something from one screen to another.

    I've been told the computer should be the one working for me. It's
    not doing its job. I uploaded today's shots, and the damned computer
    wouldn't turn a single one of them into a keeper. This is the third
    photo outing in a row where I haven't come up with an even remotely
    interesting shot. My camera's not working for me, either.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Aug 10, 2012

  3. tony cooper

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 16:04:26 -0400, tony cooper <>
    wrote:
    : On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 10:50:06 -0400, Alan Browne
    : <> wrote:
    :
    : >On 2012-08-10 10:34 , tony cooper wrote:
    : >
    : >> The only additional rule I would like to see - and it's more of a
    : >> suggestion than a rule - is that all comments should include a link to
    : >> the PBase page. I get tired of finding that link again to understand
    : >> a comment about an image that I've forgotten what looks like.
    : >
    : >I usually do put the name of the photog and the link.
    : >
    : >I would suggest that this is a recommendation (that I agree
    : >wholeheartedly with) and I'll add it to the non-rulz comments
    : >suggestions on the rulz page that nobody reads.
    : >
    : >>
    : >> As a two-screen user, I put up the PBase page on one screen and read
    : >> the comments on the second screen. I do bookmark the PBase page, but
    : >> I have a lot of bookmarks.
    : >
    : >But you're using a Windows system with two screens, it must be UN-bearable!
    :
    : It's a lot of heavy lifting, I know. Sometime I waste as much as a
    : full second manhandling something from one screen to another.
    :
    : I've been told the computer should be the one working for me. It's
    : not doing its job. I uploaded today's shots, and the damned computer
    : wouldn't turn a single one of them into a keeper. This is the third
    : photo outing in a row where I haven't come up with an even remotely
    : interesting shot. My camera's not working for me, either.

    I know exactly how you feel. The last time I asked my Domke bag to hand me the
    telephoto lens I wanted, it totally ignored me.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Aug 11, 2012
  4. tony cooper

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 11:26:26 +1200, Eric Stevens <>
    wrote:
    : On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 10:34:56 -0400, tony cooper
    : <> wrote:
    :
    : >The only additional rule I would like to see - and it's more of a
    : >suggestion than a rule - is that all comments should include a link to
    : >the PBase page. I get tired of finding that link again to understand
    : >a comment about an image that I've forgotten what looks like.
    :
    : Excellent suggestion.

    And it's absurdly easy. Many people send their comments in the form of a reply
    to the Maximum Leader's announcement that the pictures have been posted. And
    IIRC, that announcement invariably includes the link.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Aug 11, 2012
  5. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 11:22:30 -0400, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:

    >On 2012-08-11 10:43 , Robert Coe wrote:
    >> On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 11:26:26 +1200, Eric Stevens <>
    >> wrote:
    >> : On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 10:34:56 -0400, tony cooper
    >> : <> wrote:
    >> :
    >> : >The only additional rule I would like to see - and it's more of a
    >> : >suggestion than a rule - is that all comments should include a link to
    >> : >the PBase page. I get tired of finding that link again to understand
    >> : >a comment about an image that I've forgotten what looks like.
    >> :
    >> : Excellent suggestion.
    >>
    >> And it's absurdly easy. Many people send their comments in the form of a reply
    >> to the Maximum Leader's announcement that the pictures have been posted. And
    >> IIRC, that announcement invariably includes the link.

    >It includes a link to the page, but I believe what is necessary (and how
    >I understood Tony's para above) is that comments include links to each
    >image being commented on. I may have misunderstood Tony's intent.

    You did misunderstand. All I want is a link to the page itself in
    each poster's comments about the images. I'll jump from image to
    image. I put the PBase page up on the second screen.

    When posters follow a comment that contains the link, or when they add
    the link, it works fine. However, some posters originate a post a
    with no link.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Aug 11, 2012
  6. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 11:28:15 +1200, Eric Stevens
    <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 16:04:26 -0400, tony cooper
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> My camera's not working for me, either.

    >That happened to me too, yesterday. Fortunately its working again
    >today.

    I did manage to catch one keeper. My mental title for it is:
    Bright Bokeh.

    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Candids/i-zSs2ZzC/0/X2/2012-08-10-1-X2.jpg
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Aug 11, 2012
  7. tony cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 8/11/2012 12:11 PM, tony cooper wrote:
    > On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 11:28:15 +1200, Eric Stevens
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 16:04:26 -0400, tony cooper
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> My camera's not working for me, either.

    >> That happened to me too, yesterday. Fortunately its working again
    >> today.

    > I did manage to catch one keeper. My mental title for it is:
    > Bright Bokeh.
    >
    > http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Candids/i-zSs2ZzC/0/X2/2012-08-10-1-X2.jpg

    To my eye the picture is the people. Is it really necessary to show the
    top half of the image? It keeps drawing my eye away from what I perceive
    to be the story.

    <https://dl.dropbox.com/u/97242118/2012-08-10-1-X2%5B1%5D.jpg>

    (Hope that worked, it was my first attempt.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Aug 11, 2012
  8. tony cooper

    Robert Coe Guest

    :
    : >> wrote:
    : >> : On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 10:34:56 -0400, tony cooper
    : >> : <> wrote:
    : >> :
[...]

    I'm with Tony; a link to the page is enough. When we start having SIs with 50
    or 100 contributors, we can reconsider.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Aug 11, 2012
  9. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 12:54:22 -0400, PeterN
    <> wrote:

    >On 8/11/2012 12:11 PM, tony cooper wrote:
    >> On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 11:28:15 +1200, Eric Stevens
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> That happened to me too, yesterday. Fortunately its working again
    >>> today.

    >> I did manage to catch one keeper. My mental title for it is:
    >> Bright Bokeh.
    >>
    >> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Candids/i-zSs2ZzC/0/X2/2012-08-10-1-X2.jpg
    >>

    >To my eye the picture is the people. Is it really necessary to show the
    >top half of the image? It keeps drawing my eye away from what I perceive
    >to be the story.
    >
    ><https://dl.dropbox.com/u/97242118/2012-08-10-1-X2%5B1%5D.jpg>
    >
    >(Hope that worked, it was my first attempt.

    Whatever you did came out as a 404. It looks like a good link, but
    doesn't work.

    I did debate about the crop. If I zoom in on the people, what they
    are standing in front of became less obvious for what it is. It loses
    that bizarre quality and loses the drawings and keeps just the
    lettering.

    I imagine you did something like this:

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/y007cydzy28a1xq/2012-08-10-1a.jpg
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Aug 11, 2012
  10. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 11:04:37 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2012-08-11 09:11:50 -0700, tony cooper <> said:
    >
    >> On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 11:28:15 +1200, Eric Stevens
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> That happened to me too, yesterday. Fortunately its working again
    >>> today.

    >> I did manage to catch one keeper. My mental title for it is:
    >> Bright Bokeh.
    >>
    >> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Candids/i-zSs2ZzC/0/X2/2012-08-10-1-X2.jpg

    >Why do I feel like I need a shower?

    But would you shower with her? She looks a little too rough for my
    taste.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Aug 11, 2012
  11. tony cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 8/11/2012 4:16 PM, tony cooper wrote:
    > On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 12:54:22 -0400, PeterN
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 8/11/2012 12:11 PM, tony cooper wrote:

    >>> I did manage to catch one keeper. My mental title for it is:
    >>> Bright Bokeh.
    >>>
    >>> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Candids/i-zSs2ZzC/0/X2/2012-08-10-1-X2.jpg
    >>>

    >> To my eye the picture is the people. Is it really necessary to show the
    >> top half of the image? It keeps drawing my eye away from what I perceive
    >> to be the story.
    >>
    >> <https://dl.dropbox.com/u/97242118/2012-08-10-1-X2%5B1%5D.jpg>
    >>
    >> (Hope that worked, it was my first attempt.

    > Whatever you did came out as a 404. It looks like a good link, but
    > doesn't work.
    >
    > I did debate about the crop. If I zoom in on the people, what they
    > are standing in front of became less obvious for what it is. It loses
    > that bizarre quality and loses the drawings and keeps just the
    > lettering.

    Fair comment. I just would have used a different interpretation.

    > I imagine you did something like this:
    >
    > https://www.dropbox.com/s/y007cydzy28a1xq/2012-08-10-1a.jpg

    Yup!

    I think I know what I did wrong. DB doesn't work like a Smugmug link. I
    deleted the file on my computer. Sorry about that.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Aug 11, 2012
  12. tony cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 8/11/2012 6:19 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-08-11 13:17:50 -0700, tony cooper <> said:
    >
    >> On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 11:04:37 -0700, Savageduck
    >> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >>> Why do I feel like I need a shower?

    >> But would you shower with her?

    > Did I say I needed to shower with her?
    >
    > I said I needed a shower after seeing her.

    I can think of several reasons for that.
    Perhaps we are better off not knowing which reason. ;-)

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Aug 12, 2012
  13. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 10:31:43 +1200, Eric Stevens
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 10:18:02 +1200, Eric Stevens
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 10:19:41 -0400, Alan Browne
    >><> wrote:

    >>>Nothing to do with the image in question.
    >>>
    >>>In the race of bloated, computer clogging waste it's hard to keep track
    >>>of whether Norton or McAfee is worse.
    >>>
    >>>I'd suggest you remove McAfee (which can be a painful experience) and
    >>>install AVG free.
    >>>
    >>>Or better, get a Mac.

    >>Which is all very well, but does that explain why clicking on the URL
    >>you supplied caused my computer to go seeking not only the picture but
    >>some other site to which McAfee objected?

    >Oops!
    >
    >It wasn't you who supplied the URL but Tony Cooper. My apologies.

    I have supplied other Dropbox links that have been opened by others
    here. No one else has brought up a security issue. I don't know how
    many others use McAfee, though. I use AVG.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Aug 13, 2012
  14. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 17:25:09 -0400, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:

    >On 2012-08-13 01:23 , Eric Stevens wrote:
    >> On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 18:28:59 -0400, Alan Browne
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> I didn't supply the link, but I can view that image via that link,
    >>> download it and all there is is the image. (Not that one would want to
    >>> see it again).
    >>>
    >>> It could be McAfee distrusts dropbox (there was a security breach there
    >>> recently).

    >> Its not the Drop Box conection, I've been using that quite a lot in
    >> both directions with no problems. It looked like the standard McAfee
    >> reaction to being directed to a suspicious site.

    >Does it still do it? Can you provide the links or a screenshot of what
    >happens? I'm very interested in this.

    Here's a Dropbox link to an image of mine so you can test it:

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/7tahkdxrkvzjxgv/1418 Clouser Ave.jpg

    The file name is 1418 Clouser Ave. Why did I pick this subject to
    photograph at this time?

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Aug 13, 2012
  15. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 19:40:33 -0400, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:

    >On 2012-08-13 18:28 , tony cooper wrote:
    >> On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 17:25:09 -0400, Alan Browne
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> Does it still do it? Can you provide the links or a screenshot of what
    >>> happens? I'm very interested in this.

    >> Here's a Dropbox link to an image of mine so you can test it:
    >>
    >> https://www.dropbox.com/s/7tahkdxrkvzjxgv/1418 Clouser Ave.jpg
    >>
    >> The file name is 1418 Clouser Ave. Why did I pick this subject to
    >> photograph at this time?

    >... what is strange however, is that this (different) house also pops up:
    >
    >http://www.trulia.com/homes/Florida/Orlando/sold/4185742-1418-Clouser-Ave-Orlando-FL-32804
    >The description doesn't match either.

    There is always the possibility that the same street name exists in
    more than one city. Keep going.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Aug 14, 2012
  16. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 20:08:50 -0400, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:

    >On 2012-08-13 19:57 , tony cooper wrote:
    >> On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 19:40:33 -0400, Alan Browne
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> ... what is strange however, is that this (different) house also pops up:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.trulia.com/homes/Florida/Orlando/sold/4185742-1418-Clouser-Ave-Orlando-FL-32804
    >>> The description doesn't match either.

    >> There is always the possibility that the same street name exists in
    >> more than one city. Keep going.

    >See my other post. I know what you're referring to. It was just odd
    >that this real estate add with a map pointing to the house in your photo
    >shows a different house. One that can't match the description.

    The real estate ad has the wrong photo attached. My photo is the
    correct photo for the address. Wiki incorrectly lists the address in
    Winter Park, Florida.

    Bums involved here.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida