Re: [SI] Rulz proposal on Commentz

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Robert Coe, Aug 10, 2012.

  1. Robert Coe

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Thu, 09 Aug 2012 20:41:55 -0400, SI Committee
    <> wrote:
    : WHEREAS The Committee, has been reading recent chatter in these
    : newsgroups regarding commentz that follow each SI round with great interest.
    :
    : WHEREAS The Committee, wishing to improve the SI and make it an
    : agreeable experience for participantz and lurkerz;
    :
    : WHEREAS The Committee believes that commentz are and integral part of
    : the SI experience;
    :
    : WHEREAS The Committee always seeks the opinions, inputs and general
    : consent of the participants before making major rulz changes;
    :
    : NOW THEREFORE The Committee puts to you the following proposed Rul:
    :
    : "Comments are to be submitted by e-mail to the SI admin in
    : the 5 days following the posting of the images for that round.
    :
    : Comments shall not be posted in the usenet groups where the SI
    : is normally discussed (distribution above) by the commentatorz.
    :
    : The SI admin shall not read the commentz.
    :
    : The SI Admin will then post all of the commentz at the same
    : time on the 6th day following the posting of the images. And
    : such to be a separate post for each commentator."
    :
    : The Committee looks forward to your comments on the above proposal and
    : seeks - in the case of favourable reaction - to implement such a rul
    : change on time for the next image posting for the "On the Road" mandate.

    That is a solution in search of a problem. I strongly oppose it.

    Even if I agreed with any part of it (which I don't), the discussion time is
    far too short.

    The SI has been having a bit of a resurgence lately. Why on earth would we
    even think of making such a radical change now?

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Aug 10, 2012

  2. "Robert Coe" <> wrote in message

    > That is a solution in search of a problem. I strongly oppose it.
    >
    > Even if I agreed with any part of it (which I don't), the discussion time
    > is far too short.
    >
    > The SI has been having a bit of a resurgence lately. Why on earth would we
    > even think of making such a radical change now?

    Totally agree with what you said and believe the same could be said for the
    hoo-ha over geo-tagging.

    --
    Charles E. Hardwidge

    Charles E. Hardwidge, Aug 10, 2012

  3. Robert Coe

    PeterN Guest

    On 8/9/2012 10:39 PM, Charles E. Hardwidge wrote:

    > "Robert Coe" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> That is a solution in search of a problem. I strongly oppose it.
    >>
    >> Even if I agreed with any part of it (which I don't), the discussion time
    >> is far too short.
    >>
    >> The SI has been having a bit of a resurgence lately. Why on earth
    >> would we
    >> even think of making such a radical change now?

    > Totally agree with what you said and believe the same could be said for the
    > hoo-ha over geo-tagging.

    Looking forward to our participation in the SI

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Aug 10, 2012
  4. Robert Coe

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Thu, 9 Aug 2012 19:52:36 -0700, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
    wrote:
    : On 2012-08-09 19:39:58 -0700, "Charles E. Hardwidge"
    : <> said:
    :
    : >
    : > "Robert Coe" <> wrote in message
    : > news:...
    : >
    : >> That is a solution in search of a problem. I strongly oppose it.
    : >>
    : >> Even if I agreed with any part of it (which I don't), the discussion time
    : >> is far too short.
    : >>
    : >> The SI has been having a bit of a resurgence lately. Why on earth would we
    : >> even think of making such a radical change now?
    : >
    : > Totally agree with what you said and believe the same could be said for the
    : > hoo-ha over geo-tagging.
    :
    : ...and we still wait to see any one of your images you might have
    : select to enter in any SI mandate.
    : Are you warning us to expect a Hardwidge entry for this month's "On the
    : Road" mandate?
    :
    : You don't have to comment or geo-tag it, but if you choose to, we are
    : sure the comments will be insightful, and the geo-tags interesting,
    : informative & educational.

    Actually, the little bits we have seen of Charles's work seem to lean in the
    direction of street photography. So if he were going to jump in, this would
    appear to be the time to do it.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Aug 10, 2012
  5. "Robert Coe" <> wrote in message

    > Actually, the little bits we have seen of Charles's work seem to lean in
    > the direction of street photography. So if he were going to jump in, this
    > would appear to be the time to do it.

    That's a nice invitation but I'm sorry to say I'm not jumping anywhere at
    the moment. I had an injury earlier this month and am stuck with a dicky
    knee and various aches and pains. (It looks like I just need to rest
    for a while but might see the doctor as a precaution.)

    I do have one possible candidate shot taken during a visit out of town but
    it's very non-literal and just a grab shot so nothing special.

    --
    Charles E. Hardwidge

    Charles E. Hardwidge, Aug 11, 2012
  6. Robert Coe

    otter Guest

    Re: Rulz proposal on Commentz

    On Aug 11, 3:38 am, "Charles E. Hardwidge" <>
    wrote:
    > "Robert Coe" <> wrote in message

    > > Actually, the little bits we have seen of Charles's work seem to lean in
    > > the direction of street photography. So if he were going to jump in, this
    > > would appear to be the time to do it.

    > That's a nice invitation but I'm sorry to say I'm not jumping anywhere at
    > the moment. I had an injury earlier this month and am stuck with a dicky
    > knee and various aches and pains. (It looks like I just need to rest
    > for a while but might see the doctor as a precaution.)
    >
    > I do have one possible candidate shot taken during a visit out of town but
    > it's very non-literal and just a grab shot so nothing special.
    >
    > --
    > Charles E. Hardwidge

    Hey, Charles, I think people would cut you slack if you wanted to post
    an archive photo.

    RichA posted recently posted a few that raised his credibility quite a
    bit in this group, I think.

    I don't think people would give you an unfair review as retaliation to
    prior flames,etc.

    You live in an interesting area. What you may consider common-place
    is, to a lot of us, extraordinary. The same can be said of Floyd.
    When I lived in Washington state, I'd often be driving with my kids in
    the car, and they'd be playing video games or reading, and I point out
    Mt Ranier in all its glory, or something similar, and they say "so
    what?" or "big deal" and not even take a look. You get immune to the
    beauty that is around you.

    Anyway, whatever you decide. If you feel you have nothing that
    qualifies, that's fine. I may not contribute this time, either, as
    all I have are some archive shots.

    otter, Aug 11, 2012
  7. Robert Coe

    tony cooper Guest

    Re: Rulz proposal on Commentz

    On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 07:45:39 -0700 (PDT), otter
    <> wrote:

    >On Aug 11, 3:38 am, "Charles E. Hardwidge" <>
    >wrote:
    >> "Robert Coe" <> wrote in message

    >> > Actually, the little bits we have seen of Charles's work seem to lean in
    >> > the direction of street photography. So if he were going to jump in, this
    >> > would appear to be the time to do it.

    >> That's a nice invitation but I'm sorry to say I'm not jumping anywhere at
    >> the moment. I had an injury earlier this month and am stuck with a dicky
    >> knee and various aches and pains. (It looks like I just need to rest
    >> for a while but might see the doctor as a precaution.)
    >>
    >> I do have one possible candidate shot taken during a visit out of town but
    >> it's very non-literal and just a grab shot so nothing special.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Charles E. Hardwidge

    >Hey, Charles, I think people would cut you slack if you wanted to post
    >an archive photo.
    >
    >RichA posted recently posted a few that raised his credibility quite a
    >bit in this group, I think.
    >
    >I don't think people would give you an unfair review as retaliation to
    >prior flames,etc.

    Absolutely not, as far as I'm concerned. I'd critique a photo
    submitted by nospam or Floyd with the same detachment as I would a
    photo by any other contributor. Newsgroup personas are one thing, but
    photos are a completely different thing.

    In Charles's case, I might suggest a crop or suggest that it not be
    cropped, but I think I'd use the word "crop" in there somewhere.

    My argument with Floyd is not about the photo itself, but the genre to
    which he erroneously links it to.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Aug 11, 2012