Re: [SI] Reminder, Looking Up/Looking Down is due March 17th.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Tony Cooper, Mar 13, 2013.

  1. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 09:17:30 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2013-03-13 06:53:48 -0700, Bowser <> said:
    >
    >> Just a friendly reminder that if you haven't looked up or down lately,
    >> there's still a few days left to do so. Here's the details:
    >>
    >> ===================================
    >>
    >> This month's mandate involves tall things, or as tall as you can find
    >> nearby. The subjects don't need to be skyscrapers. Take a shot looking
    >> up at something tall, or from something tall looking down. Shoot three
    >> looking up or shoot three looking down, or mix them up. Your call.
    >> That's it. This mandate is due March 17th, 2013. The gallery with a
    >> couple of samples is here:

    >Since most of the architecture in my part of California is decidedly
    >squat, and could not remotely be described as skyscraper, or tall, my
    >shots, two downwards from an elevated vantage point, and one upwards of
    >a structure above me are more landscape feature than architecture.
    >Anyway, they will be on their way soon.

    Hah! You think you have trouble finding tall buildings. If they'd
    build a skyscraper in Orlando it might fall into a sinkhole.

    Of course, I could shoot from atop a mountain down on the land below.
    The problem is the highest point in Florida, Britton Hill, is 345
    above sea level.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, Mar 13, 2013

  2. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 12:19:00 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2013-03-13 11:40:53 -0700, Tony Cooper <> said:
    >
    >> On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 09:17:30 -0700, Savageduck
    >> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >>> Since most of the architecture in my part of California is decidedly
    >>> squat, and could not remotely be described as skyscraper, or tall, my
    >>> shots, two downwards from an elevated vantage point, and one upwards of
    >>> a structure above me are more landscape feature than architecture.
    >>> Anyway, they will be on their way soon.

    >> Hah! You think you have trouble finding tall buildings. If they'd
    >> build a skyscraper in Orlando it might fall into a sinkhole.
    >>
    >> Of course, I could shoot from atop a mountain down on the land below.
    >> The problem is the highest point in Florida, Britton Hill, is 345
    >> above sea level.

    >Yup!
    >I remember visiting a friend in Melbourne FL. in 1974. He lived in a
    >third floor apartment in an old bank building. When taking a shower the
    >water just trickled out of the shower head and was almost impossible to
    >use. After the so-called shower I went out of his front door and found
    >that I was looking over the top of the municipal water tower. There was
    >no pressure tank on the building, and fully explained why he was only
    >paying $15/week for the apartment.

    Please...don't bring up water. I just, today, spent almost $1,900 on
    my well. There's no city water where I live, and my well is 27 years
    old. I had to have the bladder tank replaced, the well head replaced,
    and the 42' of piping replaced. A 42' deep well is *deep* down here.
    The increase in water pressure in the house is great, though. For the
    past few days, we've been getting water from our neighbor's house.
    Just a matter of connecting a garden house to their hose outlet and it
    supplied water to the whole house.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, Mar 13, 2013

  3. Tony Cooper

    Robert Coe Guest

    :
    : > On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 09:17:30 -0700, Savageduck
    : > <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    : >
    : >> On 2013-03-13 06:53:48 -0700, Bowser <> said:
    : >>
    : >>> Just a friendly reminder that if you haven't looked up or down lately,
    : >>> there's still a few days left to do so. Here's the details:
    : >>>
    : >>> ===================================
    : >>>
[...]

    When you drive out west (through Nebraska and Colorado, say), they tell you
    when the elevation changes by 500 feet ("Elev. 3500", "Elev. 4000", etc.). In
    the Florida Everglades, they tell you when the elevation changes by one foot
    ("Elev. 4", "Elev. 5", etc.). It's been a while, but that's how it was the
    last time I was there.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Mar 14, 2013
  4. Tony Cooper

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 15:52:51 -0400, Tony Cooper <>
    wrote:
    : On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 12:19:00 -0700, Savageduck
    : <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    :
    : >On 2013-03-13 11:40:53 -0700, Tony Cooper <> said:
    : >
    : >> On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 09:17:30 -0700, Savageduck
    : >> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    : >>
    : >>> On 2013-03-13 06:53:48 -0700, Bowser <> said:
    : >>>
    : >>>> Just a friendly reminder that if you haven't looked up or down lately,
    : >>>> there's still a few days left to do so. Here's the details:
    : >>>>
    : >>>> ===================================
    : >>>>
[...]

    42 feet? I think there are swimming pools deeper than that. We had a well when
    we lived in Connecticut many years ago, and IIRC it was 250 feet deep.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Mar 14, 2013
  5. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 21:48:34 -0400, Robert Coe <> wrote:

> [...]
    >: >no pressure tank on the building, and fully explained why he was only
    >: >paying $15/week for the apartment.
    >:
    >: Please...don't bring up water. I just, today, spent almost $1,900 on
    >: my well. There's no city water where I live, and my well is 27 years
    >: old. I had to have the bladder tank replaced, the well head replaced,
    >: and the 42' of piping replaced. A 42' deep well is *deep* down here.
    >: The increase in water pressure in the house is great, though. For the
    >: past few days, we've been getting water from our neighbor's house.
    >: Just a matter of connecting a garden house to their hose outlet and it
    >: supplied water to the whole house.
    >
    >42 feet? I think there are swimming pools deeper than that. We had a well when
    >we lived in Connecticut many years ago, and IIRC it was 250 feet deep.

    The water table is about a third of that, but a well for drinking
    water has to go deeper or there's a lot of iron and sulphur. Some
    Floridians have been known to do their own shallow well for irrigation
    purposes with a length of PVC pipe and a garden hose with a pressure
    nozzle.

    When I had the pool re-done, I was concerned about how long it had to
    stay empty. In rainy weather, empty pools have been known to pop out
    of the ground. Basically, they float up.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, Mar 14, 2013
  6. Tony Cooper

    Rob Guest

    On 14/03/2013 1:30 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
> [...]
    >> : past few days, we've been getting water from our neighbor's house.
    >> : Just a matter of connecting a garden house to their hose outlet and it
    >> : supplied water to the whole house.
    >>
    >> 42 feet? I think there are swimming pools deeper than that. We had a well when
    >> we lived in Connecticut many years ago, and IIRC it was 250 feet deep.
    >>
    >> Bob

    > The water table is about a third of that, but a well for drinking
    > water has to go deeper or there's a lot of iron and sulphur. Some
    > Floridians have been known to do their own shallow well for irrigation
    > purposes with a length of PVC pipe and a garden hose with a pressure
    > nozzle.
    >
    > When I had the pool re-done, I was concerned about how long it had to
    > stay empty. In rainy weather, empty pools have been known to pop out
    > of the ground. Basically, they float up.

    That's why they should have a hydrostatic valve in the bottom.

    Rob, Mar 14, 2013
  7. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Thu, 14 Mar 2013 19:10:10 -0400, Bowser <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 14:40:53 -0400, Tony Cooper
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 09:17:30 -0700, Savageduck
    >><savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >>>Since most of the architecture in my part of California is decidedly
    >>>squat, and could not remotely be described as skyscraper, or tall, my
    >>>shots, two downwards from an elevated vantage point, and one upwards of
    >>>a structure above me are more landscape feature than architecture.
    >>>Anyway, they will be on their way soon.

    >>Hah! You think you have trouble finding tall buildings. If they'd
    >>build a skyscraper in Orlando it might fall into a sinkhole.
    >>
    >>Of course, I could shoot from atop a mountain down on the land below.
    >>The problem is the highest point in Florida, Britton Hill, is 345
    >>above sea level.

    >Roller coasters?

    Oh, I have my three. I like to shoot to mandate, and not use archive
    stuff, so mandates stretch my thinking. I am using one archive shot
    that complements the two new images. I shot a location I'd been
    thinking about doing, and the mandate pushed me into it.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, Mar 15, 2013
  8. Tony Cooper

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Thu, 14 Mar 2013 10:47:47 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    : BTW: This is the sort of elevation change I am happiest with. The drop
    : into Kings Canyon and the Great Western Divide down to the South Fork
    : of the Kings River.
    : < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/DNC3121-1w.jpg >
    : The peaks in the background are about 11,300ft. The shot was taken at
    : about 5,500ft, and the canyon floor is about 1,100 ft.

    The equivalent in our neck of the woods is the hairpin turn on State Route 2
    in the Berkshire Hills, looking down on the town of North Adams. It's a pretty
    scene, but it doesn't measure up to King's Canyon. (Where, BTW, I've never
    been. In my various western trips I've managed to miss it, alas.)

    But if you drop down off the mountain via the old, steep road on the back side
    (towards Vermont), you hit the valley floor near the eastern portal of the
    Hoosac Tunnel, a definite photo op!

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Mar 16, 2013
  9. Tony Cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 3/15/2013 8:58 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
    > On Thu, 14 Mar 2013 10:47:47 -0700, Savageduck
    > <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    > : BTW: This is the sort of elevation change I am happiest with. The drop
    > : into Kings Canyon and the Great Western Divide down to the South Fork
    > : of the Kings River.
    > : < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/DNC3121-1w.jpg >
    > : The peaks in the background are about 11,300ft. The shot was taken at
    > : about 5,500ft, and the canyon floor is about 1,100 ft.
    >
    > The equivalent in our neck of the woods is the hairpin turn on State Route 2
    > in the Berkshire Hills, looking down on the town of North Adams. It's a pretty
    > scene, but it doesn't measure up to King's Canyon. (Where, BTW, I've never
    > been. In my various western trips I've managed to miss it, alas.)
    >
    > But if you drop down off the mountain via the old, steep road on the back side
    > (towards Vermont), you hit the valley floor near the eastern portal of the
    > Hoosac Tunnel, a definite photo op!

    The Berkshires offer some beautiful scenic areas. I just wish I had the
    photographic ability to do them justice. I freely admit that I don't, so
    we just drive through and appreciate.
    besides, it seems that the most scenic areas are too far from places
    where one can safely park the car.
    We already have one weekend planned for the Amherst area, and are in the
    process of picking at least two Tanglewood weekends.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Mar 17, 2013
  10. Tony Cooper

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 22:01:26 -0400, PeterN <>
    wrote:
[...]

    The Berkshires tend to be hazy and a bit hard to photograph on that account.
    But I haven't found parking to be a problem. There's an overlook at the
    hairpin turn and a couple miles east on the eastern summit, and there are
    scenic spots on the road over to Williamstown an well as in Williamstown
    itself. From there, a pleasant side trip is to drive up to Bennington and
    photograph its five covered bridges, all of which have ample parking nearby.
    (I hope there still are five bridges; I seem to recall that one of them took
    quite a hit in one of last fall's hurricanes.) The only major place I know of
    where parking is a problem is the west portal of the Hoosac Tunnel. But the
    east portal is perfectly accessible (if a bit tricky to find), and there's
    ample parking there. Just keep in mind that the track leading to the tunnel is
    *not* an abandoned railroad.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Mar 17, 2013