Re: [SI] Reminder: 14 days to go for Street Photography

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Robert Coe, Dec 7, 2012.

  1. Robert Coe

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Thu, 06 Dec 2012 08:13:18 -0500, Bowser <> wrote:
    : Time to stretch our skills and hit the streets! The new mandate,
    : "Street Photography," can provide big challenges, but the results can
    : be well worth it. If you aren't clear on what constitutes Street
    : Photography, well, visit this site for starters:
    :
    : http://www.street-photographers.com/
    :
    : Some good advice here, as well:
    :
    : http://photo.net/learn/street/intro
    :
    : Please not the following rules for this mandate:
    :
    : No excessive post processing: what this means is that street shooting
    : is supposed to reflect reality, so excessive processing, like adding
    : or removing elements, using Photoshop filters to excess (adding grain
    : is OK, solarizing is not), and adding effects like starbursts are not
    : acceptable. Adjusting for exposure, color contrast, B&W conversions,
    : and adding grain to simulate old-style street shots is OK. I believe
    : there's enough lattitute in this mandate to offer sufficient
    : opportunities without having to resort to "painting" an image. This
    : mandate is designed to test your photographic skills, not your
    : Photoshop skills.
    :
    : Due: December 30th, 2012
    : Start Date: November 22nd, 2012

    Huh?? December 30 is 24, not 14, days from the 6th.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Dec 7, 2012

  2. Robert Coe

    PeterN Guest

    On 12/7/2012 11:49 AM, Robert Coe wrote:
    > On Thu, 06 Dec 2012 08:13:18 -0500, Bowser <> wrote:
    > : Time to stretch our skills and hit the streets! The new mandate,
    > : "Street Photography," can provide big challenges, but the results can
    > : be well worth it. If you aren't clear on what constitutes Street
    > : Photography, well, visit this site for starters:
    > :
    > : http://www.street-photographers.com/
    > :
    > : Some good advice here, as well:
    > :
    > : http://photo.net/learn/street/intro
    > :
    > : Please not the following rules for this mandate:
    > :
    > : No excessive post processing: what this means is that street shooting
    > : is supposed to reflect reality, so excessive processing, like adding
    > : or removing elements, using Photoshop filters to excess (adding grain
    > : is OK, solarizing is not), and adding effects like starbursts are not
    > : acceptable. Adjusting for exposure, color contrast, B&W conversions,
    > : and adding grain to simulate old-style street shots is OK. I believe
    > : there's enough lattitute in this mandate to offer sufficient
    > : opportunities without having to resort to "painting" an image. This
    > : mandate is designed to test your photographic skills, not your
    > : Photoshop skills.
    > :
    > : Due: December 30th, 2012
    > : Start Date: November 22nd, 2012
    >
    > Huh?? December 30 is 24, not 14, days from the 6th.

    When I was giving technical tax lectures to accountants I would
    sometimes start with a comment like; A accountant is someone upon
    hearing that a girl was 38 24 36, would say: "she's a 96." I could
    reliably count on someone correcting my "arithmetic." At that point I
    would claim I proved my point.
    I guess the same principle applies to engineers. ;-)

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Dec 8, 2012