Re: [SI] Pointer to current rulz?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by PeterN, May 9, 2012.

  1. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 5/8/2012 5:53 PM, SI Committee wrote:
    > On 2012-05-08 15:06 , Chemiker wrote:
    >> Aside from the deadlines and size limits, what other rules are in
    >> place? Cropping, brightness adjustment, where's the limit?

    > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage
    >
    > In a nutshell cropping is allowed, as are adjustments to
    > tone/brightness/contrast, USM, etc.
    >
    > HDR is acceptable whether in-camera or post-processed from several
    > images. I'd just caution against over-doing-it.
    >
    > Extensive digital manipulation is not welcome and certainly is not the
    > goal of the SI.
    >
    > PS: Posts referring to the SI should have SI in square brackets:
    >
    > [SI] Pointer to current rules.

    Please define "extensive digital manipulation."

    Is it converting from color to monochrome?
    Is it: major color correction; noise removal; blurring; or selective
    and/or overall sharpening?
    Is it: removing a skin blemish; a people blemish; an object blemish? How
    about composites, solarizations, and posterizations. (all of which I
    have done in the darkroom.)
    etc.

    Please don't go there. Allow artistic freedom.

    Once I am back in shooting form, I plan to submit any image that is
    compatible with the theme. Remember this is an art form, not a pure
    reporting format.
    --
    Peter

    PeterN, May 9, 2012

  2. PeterN

    gpsman Guest

    Re: Pointer to current rulz?

    On May 8, 8:03 pm, PeterN <> wrote:
    > On 5/8/2012 5:53 PM, SI Committee wrote:
    >
    > > HDR is acceptable whether in-camera or post-processed from several
    > > images. I'd just caution against over-doing-it.

    > > Extensive digital manipulation is not welcome and certainly is not the
    > > goal of the SI.

    > Please define "extensive digital manipulation."

    My definition would include HDR.

    > How
    > about composites, solarizations, and posterizations. (all of which I
    > have done in the darkroom.)
    > etc.
    >
    > Please don't go there. Allow artistic freedom.

    I disagree. This seems to be intended a "shooting" [SI]
    "assignment". "Artistic" manipulation is... something else.

    > Once I am back in shooting form, I plan to submit any image that is
    > compatible with the theme. Remember this is an art form, not a pure
    > reporting format.

    I disagree. It is whatever the moderator says it is.

    Were it me, I'd spec a mandate and 5 minutes max. for "adjustments",
    and anyone who didn't want to participate would be welcome to not
    participate, and whatever images that were in my opinion over-
    manipulated would go straight in the bit bucket.

    I sure as hell would not open a discussion of opinions of what the
    mandates should be. I'm pretty sure moderating the [SI] in my manner
    would be enough work for free, for me.
    -----

    - gpsman

    gpsman, May 9, 2012

  3. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    Re: Pointer to current rulz?

    On 5/9/2012 7:44 AM, gpsman wrote:
    > On May 8, 8:03 pm, PeterN<> wrote:
    >> On 5/8/2012 5:53 PM, SI Committee wrote:
    >>
    >>> HDR is acceptable whether in-camera or post-processed from several
    >>> images. I'd just caution against over-doing-it.

    >>> Extensive digital manipulation is not welcome and certainly is not the
    >>> goal of the SI.

    >> Please define "extensive digital manipulation."

    > My definition would include HDR.
    >
    >> How
    >> about composites, solarizations, and posterizations. (all of which I
    >> have done in the darkroom.)
    >> etc.
    >>
    >> Please don't go there. Allow artistic freedom.

    > I disagree. This seems to be intended a "shooting" [SI]
    > "assignment". "Artistic" manipulation is... something else.
    >
    >> Once I am back in shooting form, I plan to submit any image that is
    >> compatible with the theme. Remember this is an art form, not a pure
    >> reporting format.

    > I disagree. It is whatever the moderator says it is.
    >
    > Were it me, I'd spec a mandate and 5 minutes max. for "adjustments",
    > and anyone who didn't want to participate would be welcome to not
    > participate, and whatever images that were in my opinion over-
    > manipulated would go straight in the bit bucket.

    Always your right.

    > I sure as hell would not open a discussion of opinions of what the
    > mandates should be. I'm pretty sure moderating the [SI] in my manner
    > would be enough work for free, for me.

    Is asking for clarification opening a discussion. I can do any of the
    items listed above in a darkroom. Just because I am using a digital
    format doesn't mean there should be more restrictions.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, May 9, 2012
  4. PeterN

    tony cooper Guest

    Re: Pointer to current rulz?

    On Wed, 9 May 2012 04:44:22 -0700 (PDT), gpsman
    <> wrote:

    >On May 8, 8:03 pm, PeterN <> wrote:
    >> On 5/8/2012 5:53 PM, SI Committee wrote:
    >>
    >> > HDR is acceptable whether in-camera or post-processed from several
    >> > images. I'd just caution against over-doing-it.

    >> > Extensive digital manipulation is not welcome and certainly is not the
    >> > goal of the SI.

    >> Please define "extensive digital manipulation."

    >My definition would include HDR.
    >
    >> How
    >> about composites, solarizations, and posterizations. (all of which I
    >> have done in the darkroom.)
    >> etc.
    >>
    >> Please don't go there. Allow artistic freedom.

    >I disagree. This seems to be intended a "shooting" [SI]
    >"assignment". "Artistic" manipulation is... something else.
    >
    >> Once I am back in shooting form, I plan to submit any image that is
    >> compatible with the theme. Remember this is an art form, not a pure
    >> reporting format.

    >I disagree. It is whatever the moderator says it is.
    >
    >Were it me, I'd spec a mandate and 5 minutes max. for "adjustments",
    >and anyone who didn't want to participate would be welcome to not
    >participate, and whatever images that were in my opinion over-
    >manipulated would go straight in the bit bucket.

    As soon as the SI starts offering cash prizes we'll welcome more
    specific rules. In the current format, it's photo sharing of images
    somewhat related to the mandate according to the interpretation of the
    shooter.

    Considering the turn-out in both submission of images and discussion
    of the images posted, the prime objective of the moderator should be
    keep it simple in order to keep it going. Turning away images should
    not be a consideration.

    About those cash prizes...sponsors are welcome. I think Alan will
    accept your PayPal contribution.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, May 9, 2012
  5. PeterN

    tony cooper Guest

    Re: Pointer to current rulz?

    On Wed, 9 May 2012 18:32:09 -0700 (PDT), gpsman
    <> wrote:

    >On May 9, 6:02 pm, tony cooper <> wrote:
    >> On Wed, 9 May 2012 04:44:22 -0700 (PDT), gpsman
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Were it me, I'd spec a mandate and 5 minutes max. for "adjustments",
    >> >and anyone who didn't want to participate would be welcome to not
    >> >participate, and whatever images that were in my opinion over-
    >> >manipulated would go straight in the bit bucket.

    >> As soon as the SI starts offering cash prizes we'll welcome more
    >> specific rules.  In the current format, it's photo sharing of images
    >> somewhat related to the mandate according to the interpretation of the
    >> shooter.

    >If that is the case I don't see much of a point of the "mandate".
    >
    >I have often been led astray on Usenet by what words mean.

    If it helps, mentally translate "mandate" into "the subject suggested
    for this round of the Shoot-In" and understand that there is no
    disqualification or penalty for submitting something off-subject.

    This is an informal showcase of photos submitted by some of the people
    who regularly read this, and the related, newsgroups. Very informal.

    >> Considering the turn-out in both submission of images and discussion
    >> of the images posted, the prime objective of the moderator should be
    >> keep it simple in order to keep it going.

    >I would not have guessed my method would be more complicated.
    >
    >> Turning away images should
    >> not be a consideration.

    >Exaggeration for effect.
    >
    >> About those cash prizes...sponsors are welcome.  I think Alan will
    >> accept your PayPal contribution.

    >Who won last...?

    There are no winners, no judges, no votes. Feel free, however, to
    tell anyone who doesn't read the group that your submission was the
    Grand Prize Winner.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, May 15, 2012