Re: [SI] Pairs, triplets, series, patterns, echoes, reflections.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Robert Coe, Jul 17, 2012.

  1. Robert Coe

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 19:13:08 -0400, SI Committee
    <> wrote:
    :
    : http://www.pbase.com/shootin/pairs_triplets_

    Again our captions didn't make it onto the pix (Alan, do you prefer a
    different way of sending them than Bowser did?), so ...

    Pairs Bob_Coe 1
    Cookie-Cutter Condos. For more than 20 years of passing near these buildings
    on the Cambridge side of the Charles River, I had thought them to be
    identical. Not until I began to edit this picture did I realize that I was
    wrong.

    Pairs Bob_Coe 2
    School's Out. These vehicles, relegated for now to summer day camp duty, await
    Monday morning in a lot behind our Town Hall.

    Pairs Bob_Coe 3
    Illusion. A single exposure, modified only by cropping and slight rotation.
    Can you tell what's real and what's reflection?

    Pairs Martha_Coe 1
    The Silas W. Robbins House. In this Old Wethersfield, Connecticut house, now a
    bed & breakfast, virtually every detail is replicated, even the front door.

    Pairs Martha_Coe 2
    Victorian brickwork. The writer Samuel L. Clemens built this mansion in
    Hartford, Connecticut, though it's named for his alter ego, Mark Twain. The
    repetitive detail of its decorative brickwork is reminiscent of Native
    American beadwork, an art form which Clemens would undoubtedly have
    encountered while growing up in Missouri.

    Pairs Martha_Coe 3
    Sam's Steamboat: An amusing aspect of Clemens's house, largely unremarked even
    in its official tours, is its (obviously intentional) resemblance to a
    steamboat. This picture of the house's upper stories shows a porch that mimics
    a pilot house and chimneys resembling the gaudy smokestacks of the most
    opulent Mississippi River steamers.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Jul 17, 2012

  2. Robert Coe

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 20:57:10 -0400, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:
    : On 2012-07-16 22:31 , Robert Coe wrote:
    : > On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 19:13:08 -0400, SI Committee
    : > <> wrote:
    : > :
    : > : http://www.pbase.com/shootin/pairs_triplets_
    : >
    : > Again our captions didn't make it onto the pix (Alan, do you prefer a
    : > different way of sending them than Bowser did?), so ...
    :
    : The fact is that most people don't caption and the data management sub
    : committee are (I have to admit) a rather motley crew of misfits and
    : miscreants. I'll endeavour to correct your captions at the earliest
    : opportunity.
    :
    : OTOH, maybe a Rul change is in order where captions are neither
    : required, desired or accepted. If the photo doesn't tell the story, let
    : the mystery remain except for explanations on usenet.

    I think that would be a step backwards.

[...]

    It's possible to put the caption in the Windows "comments" field of the file.
    (I tested it today with a much longer piece of text than any caption I've seen
    in the SI.) I wonder if it would then be displayed automatically. Probably a
    bit far-fetched. But if you like, I could send you a picture set up that way,
    and you could test it.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Jul 18, 2012

  3. Robert Coe

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 21:41:51 -0400, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:
    : On 2012-07-17 21:27 , Robert Coe wrote:
    : > It's possible to put the caption in the Windows "comments" field of the file.
    : > (I tested it today with a much longer piece of text than any caption I've seen
    : > in the SI.) I wonder if it would then be displayed automatically. Probably a
    : > bit far-fetched. But if you like, I could send you a picture set up that way,
    : > and you could test it.
    :
    : Sure.

    OK, I sent you one of my pictures with an embedded caption. Probably won't
    work, but we won't know until we try it.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Jul 18, 2012
  4. Robert Coe

    Robert Coe Guest

    : > <> wrote:
    : > : On 2012-07-17 21:27 , Robert Coe wrote:
    : > : > It's possible to put the caption in the Windows "comments" field of the file.
    : > : > (I tested it today with a much longer piece of text than any caption I've seen
    : > : > in the SI.) I wonder if it would then be displayed automatically. Probably a
    : > : > bit far-fetched. But if you like, I could send you a picture set up that way,
    : > : > and you could test it.
    : > :
    : > : Sure.
    : >
    : > OK, I sent you one of my pictures with an embedded caption. Probably won't
    : > work, but we won't know until we try it.
    :
    : Nope.
    :
    : This site finds the comment: http://tinyurl.com/6rfwe7s or
    : http://regex.info/exif.cgi?dummy=on...267083/1/144820461.xK0qySpF.PairsBob_Coe2.JPG
    :
    : But http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/144820461&exif=Y
    : doesn't do anything with it.

    Assuming you add the caption by hand, it it more convenient for you to find it
    in the Comments field of the image or in the text of the message used to send
    the picture to you?

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Jul 18, 2012
  5. Robert Coe

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 22:40:13 -0400, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:
    : On 2012-07-17 22:27 , Robert Coe wrote:
    :
    : > Assuming you add the caption by hand, it it more convenient for you to find it
    : > in the Comments field of the image or in the text of the message used to send
    : > the picture to you?
    :
    : I was about to suggest that when you add comments, that you send your
    : post subject with the word "Comments" in it. Put the comments in the
    : body of the e-mail as you usually do (not embedded in the image file).
    :
    : Subject: Martha's pics / COMMENTS
    :
    : That might help the blind people in data management find the comments
    : and paste them into pbase on transfer.
    :
    : Basic fact is that when the data management folks open the e-mail they
    : simply hit "download attachments" and move on. They usually have the
    : images up on pbase within minutes of receiving them (in a hidden gallery).

    It's a shame that Pbase doesn't see the title and comments fields and display
    them automatically if they're present. But I guess that's really just a
    corollary of the broader principle that all computer programs should be
    written as I would write them if I had the time, knowledge, and ingenuity.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Jul 18, 2012
  6. Robert Coe

    tony cooper Guest

    Re: [SI] Pairs, etc - Cooper's Comments on in-house shots

    This post will be just about the Cooper in-house shots.

    Recently, I rented a lake-side cabin in the Ocala National Forest for
    a long weekend so the family could get together...Daughter and
    son-in-law, Son and wife and kids, and my wife and I. Sitting out on
    the dock one day, I mentioned that I was taking photos for this
    mandate.

    My daughter is an avid photographer. She immediately said "I can do
    that." Less than 15 minutes later she was back with the shot of the
    romantically linked dragonflies. Yes, ClearyC is my daughter.

    She shot the sunflower in her backyard choosing to shoot it from the
    back instead of the conventional front view. She and I met a week or
    so later in St Augustine where she shot the birds from our table when
    we were having lunch at a waterfront cafe.

    Not to be outdone, her husband - Dave - came up with his drops of
    water on a flower in their backyard. Most of his photography is
    photographs of surfers (They live a few blocks from the ocean), so he
    found a pattern in the waves. This photo was excessively sharpened to
    accent the water pattern to the right. Blame me if you don't like it,
    because I taught them Photoshop processing techniques.

    I've been taking my daughter out on what we call a "Photo Safari"
    since she was wee. The one thing I've emphasized most is seeing the
    photograph. One exercise we used to do was going somewhere, stopping
    at random, and finding something to photograph from that spot. She's
    turned out to have a good eye.

    On my shots...

    The Lorikeets really are a very bright bird color-wise. (Check out
    web images) However, I used a flash because they were in the back of
    the enclosure, and no bouncing surface was available. Consequently,
    I've got almost-blowout from flash effect on the feathers. f/4
    1/125th. Saturation was not kicked in post.

    The marmosets are about the size of a hamster. They have very, very
    fine hair, so the flash washed out the fur a bit. f/5.3 1/125th.
    Again, nothing to bounce off.

    Both shots taken at the Melbourne Zoo on a camera club field trip.
    Two other photographers in the group snapped the marmosets and had the
    same flash effect in their shots. A third person shot without flash,
    but ended up with a blurred shot.

    The railroad track shot is a color shot reduced to black and white
    just using Threshold. It wasn't converted to black and white first.
    Just playing around with processing.

    Be kind to my kid.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Jul 19, 2012
  7. Robert Coe

    Robert Coe Guest

    Re: [SI] Pairs, etc - Cooper's Comments on in-house shots

    On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 19:01:44 -0400, tony cooper <>
    wrote:
    : This post will be just about the Cooper in-house shots.
    :
    : Recently, I rented a lake-side cabin in the Ocala National Forest for
    : a long weekend so the family could get together...Daughter and
    : son-in-law, Son and wife and kids, and my wife and I. Sitting out on
    : the dock one day, I mentioned that I was taking photos for this
    : mandate.
    :
    : My daughter is an avid photographer. She immediately said "I can do
    : that." Less than 15 minutes later she was back with the shot of the
    : romantically linked dragonflies. Yes, ClearyC is my daughter.

    Oho! Isn't she the teenager with the peeved expression standing in front of a
    cigar store somewhere in the UK?

[...]

    Congratulations on getting the two of them involved in the SI. I lured my wife
    in, and she's become an enthusiast. I'll have to work harder on my daughter.
    In her field of specialization (candid photography of her children) she's
    probably our family's best photographer.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Jul 19, 2012
  8. Robert Coe

    Robert Coe Guest

    Re: [SI] Pairs, etc - Cooper's Comments on in-house shots

    On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 17:03:01 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    : My memories of Melbourne date back to February 1974 when I got the
    : worst Sunburn of my life at India Atlantic Beach.

    Hammonasset Beach State Park, Connecticut, 1963: Sunscreen? I ain't got no
    sunscreen. I don't need no sunscreen! I don't have to put on any steenking
    sunscreen!!

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Jul 19, 2012
  9. Robert Coe

    On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 19:28:59 -0400, Robert Coe <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 19:01:44 -0400, tony cooper <>
    >wrote:
    >: This post will be just about the Cooper in-house shots.
    >:
    >: Recently, I rented a lake-side cabin in the Ocala National Forest for
    >: a long weekend so the family could get together...Daughter and
    >: son-in-law, Son and wife and kids, and my wife and I. Sitting out on
    >: the dock one day, I mentioned that I was taking photos for this
    >: mandate.
    >:
    >: My daughter is an avid photographer. She immediately said "I can do
    >: that." Less than 15 minutes later she was back with the shot of the
    >: romantically linked dragonflies. Yes, ClearyC is my daughter.
    >
    >Oho! Isn't she the teenager with the peeved expression standing in front of a
    >cigar store somewhere in the UK?

    Good memory. It was a SI submission in "Bad Photos".
    Taken in 1984 in front of a pub in Dublin, and a pub named "Cleary's
    Bar".

    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64147677/SI-Bad-Dublin, 1984-1.jpg

    More "surly" than "peeved".

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Jul 19, 2012
  10. Robert Coe

    tony cooper Guest

    Re: [SI] Pairs, etc - Cooper's Comments on in-house shots

    On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 17:03:01 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2012-07-18 16:01:44 -0700, tony cooper <> said:
    >
    >> This post will be just about the Cooper in-house shots.
    >>
    >> Recently, I rented a lake-side cabin in the Ocala National Forest for
    >> a long weekend so the family could get together...Daughter and
    >> son-in-law, Son and wife and kids, and my wife and I. Sitting out on
    >> the dock one day, I mentioned that I was taking photos for this
    >> mandate.
    >>
    >> My daughter is an avid photographer. She immediately said "I can do
    >> that." Less than 15 minutes later she was back with the shot of the
    >> romantically linked dragonflies. Yes, ClearyC is my daughter.
    >>
    >> She shot the sunflower in her backyard choosing to shoot it from the
    >> back instead of the conventional front view. She and I met a week or
    >> so later in St Augustine where she shot the birds from our table when
    >> we were having lunch at a waterfront cafe.
    >>
    >> Not to be outdone, her husband - Dave - came up with his drops of
    >> water on a flower in their backyard. Most of his photography is
    >> photographs of surfers (They live a few blocks from the ocean), so he
    >> found a pattern in the waves. This photo was excessively sharpened to
    >> accent the water pattern to the right. Blame me if you don't like it,
    >> because I taught them Photoshop processing techniques.
    >>
    >> I've been taking my daughter out on what we call a "Photo Safari"
    >> since she was wee. The one thing I've emphasized most is seeing the
    >> photograph. One exercise we used to do was going somewhere, stopping
    >> at random, and finding something to photograph from that spot. She's
    >> turned out to have a good eye.

    >Congratulations on a successful parenting mission.
    >
    >> On my shots...
    >>
    >> The Lorikeets really are a very bright bird color-wise. (Check out
    >> web images) However, I used a flash because they were in the back of
    >> the enclosure, and no bouncing surface was available. Consequently,
    >> I've got almost-blowout from flash effect on the feathers. f/4
    >> 1/125th. Saturation was not kicked in post.

    >All I can say is, regardless of cause, the final effect is one of both
    >birds appearing over saturated to the point of being unpleasant.
    >Perhaps there might have been a fix available in post. I am sure it is
    >possible to reach a better solution.

    I pre-announced that I wasn't excited about my submissions this time.
    I suppose I could have worked on that image, but I didn't think there
    was that much there to begin with.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Jul 19, 2012
  11. Robert Coe

    tony cooper Guest

    Re: [SI] Pairs, etc - Cooper's Comments on in-house shots

    On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 17:24:52 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2012-07-18 17:03:01 -0700, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> said:
    >
    >> On 2012-07-18 16:01:44 -0700, tony cooper <> said:

    >>> On my shots...
    >>>
    >>> The Lorikeets really are a very bright bird color-wise. (Check out
    >>> web images) However, I used a flash because they were in the back of
    >>> the enclosure, and no bouncing surface was available. Consequently,
    >>> I've got almost-blowout from flash effect on the feathers. f/4
    >>> 1/125th. Saturation was not kicked in post.

    >> All I can say is, regardless of cause, the final effect is one of both
    >> birds appearing over saturated to the point of being unpleasant.
    >> Perhaps there might have been a fix available in post. I am sure it is
    >> possible to reach a better solution.

    >try this for a fix in post:
    >< http://db.tt/C2TKTOz8 >

    Just a different version of garish. The feathers aren't good enough
    to start with. As far as I'm concerned, if it's a bird the feathers
    have be detailed.

    It might be interesting if processed as an abstract and *really*
    goofed up.
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Jul 19, 2012
  12. Robert Coe

    otter Guest

    Re: Pairs, triplets, series, patterns, echoes, reflections.

    On Jul 18, 4:13 pm, Alan Browne <>
    wrote:
    > On 2012-07-18 00:01 , Eric Stevens wrote:
    >
    > > I had descriptions for each of my images when I sent them in.

    > Fixed.

    The comments are not attached to the right shots (the second & third
    shots have incorrect comments).

    otter, Jul 19, 2012
  13. Robert Coe

    tony cooper Guest

    Re: [SI] Pairs, etc - Cooper's Comments on in-house shots

    On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 18:36:52 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2012-07-18 17:59:32 -0700, tony cooper <> said:
    >
    >> On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 17:24:52 -0700, Savageduck
    >> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >>> try this for a fix in post:
    >>> < http://db.tt/C2TKTOz8 >

    >> Just a different version of garish. The feathers aren't good enough
    >> to start with. As far as I'm concerned, if it's a bird the feathers
    >> have be detailed.

    >I think if you made a side-by-side comparison the fix might be more
    >apparent, including an improvement in feather detail.
    >< http://db.tt/C2TKTOz8 >

    Nah. Look at the feathers on both bird's chests and the blue feathers
    in the lower body.

    In your version, the branch has detail (too much, in fact) and becomes
    more prominent than the subjects.

    What I did like about the photo was the composition. Nice diagonal of
    the front bird, interesting "V" in the middle, and decent balance.
    None of this forgives a photo that looks more like a paint-by-numbers
    kit.

    > It might be interesting if processed as an abstract and *really*
    >> goofed up.

    Maybe PeterN can goof it up.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Jul 19, 2012
  14. Robert Coe

    tony cooper Guest

    Re: [SI] Pairs, etc - Cooper's Comments on in-house shots

    This time, comments on the rest of the images.

    Alan Browne's yellow chair and wine glass is interesting to me. The
    shadow makes it. Two things baffle me, though.

    First, Alan is famous for setting up his shots with meticulous care.
    Why not move the chair a skosh to get rid of that window corner in the
    upper left, and a skosh more to get the siding color viewable through
    slat openings?

    Second: old? Alan preaches about shooting within the mandate and
    then posts "old". Tut tut.

    Watchmaker's graduation scene is a treatment that I rather like, but I
    think I'd crop the left off just at the figure's back. While not
    centered, it's too centered. The Kodak strip is OK, but not
    compelling. He bounced back with the bridge supports, though. I do
    like black and white.

    Max Duryee's wooden subject is certainly within the mandate, but lacks
    something to see. The windows, with the curtains behind them, offers
    much more. Back to not much to see even though there's a lot there in
    the ironwork. Even with "patterns" we can have a central focal point.

    The Duck's waterfront scene is a "Think Piece". At first, it's a
    marina spoiled by smoke stacks. Then, it becomes an essay on
    comparison with designs that haven't really changed in years (the
    boats) and the stark modern lines of the electric plant (or whatever
    that is) and the functional smoke stacks.

    The boat prows are technically good - as the Duck's always seem to be
    - but the scene is just too familiar. That's the scene everyone
    shoots at the dock. It needs some foreign element like a dog or a cat
    or a rocking chair on a deck to set it apart.

    Would you have shot the kayaks if not for the mandate?

    Otter's sports jerseys is my favorite so far in looking at these.
    Fantastic color, and one of those shots that most people wouldn't see.
    The stadium chairs comes in a close second, but I kinda want that red
    chair placed at one of those famous "rule of thirds" intersection
    points. I don't think I've ever brought up this "rule" before, but
    this image brings it to mind. "Paris" doesn't show me anything. It's
    not enough to just have three things in an image.

    KurtP's goblets work very, very well. Somebody's not going to like
    that black vertical (I haven't read other people's comments), but I
    think it is perfect there. The brandy snifters are OK, but the
    fingerprint (upper left between the rims) and the black thing
    (upper-middle right) kinda jump out. I like the cropping. We don't
    do Canon in this house, but I like the reflection reflected lens.
    Like a skyline.

    Tim Conway's sock just don't quite make an image. Seems kinda last
    minute. The swans work, though. December 2010? Not last minute
    there. Nice fall foliage.

    Peter Newman's fishing net is an interesting study. Muted colors,
    bits of bright, and good texture. Not so interesting is the parade.
    I see the concept here, but the pink breast-like objects take over
    what would work as a subdued impressionistic piece. Nice strawberry.

    EricS's study of kaleidoscope color is the opposite of Peter's parade:
    bold and sharp without any subtlety. The D300 is...well...I dunno.
    The hot air balloon is nicely reflected in the water, and the comment
    "works best with a black mask" intrigues me. I tried it, I feel like
    the Lone Ranger, but I don't see the image any differently.

    MG's ducks are calendar art or brochure art. Very commercial.
    There's a moire look to the feathers that I don't understand, though.
    Ducks and tree shadow in the water has a weird look to the water line.
    It seems to be above the shore. Ducklings, though, are just too cute.
    (I mean that in a good way)

    I wish Bob Coe's sightseeing boat was coming into the scene instead of
    leaving it, but I like that red. I wish I hadn't read the comments.
    I spent too much time looking for similarities and differences. Nice
    catch of the bus line-up. Structurally interesting as a photo. I'd
    lose the wire to the cloning tool, though.

    The graveyard scene brings me back to Peter Newman's parade. Though
    not the same level of abstract, there's a similarity. Notice, though,
    that Bob's has no one object, or set of objects, dominating. When
    looked at closely, though, the reflected table in the center is
    surprisingly clear.

    Martha Coe should go into real estate photography. Nice wide-angle
    stuff. I'm impressed with #3 for the control in not having the sun
    blow out the roof shingles on the front peak and losing the pattern
    there.

    Bowser's ferry boats are OK. The capture of the water texture is very
    good. Busy harbor. The doorway scene is pure Bowser. The third shot
    seems taken just to get in a series of objects. Oddly enough, the
    series of chimneys is kinda interesting.

    Bob Flint. I wish you guys who photograph ducks and plants and
    flowers and such would identify them. What are those things, and will
    they end up on my table? I do recognize the bean in the second
    image. Or is it a snap pea? OK, I'm going for pea.

    The laminated wood doesn't look edible, but it makes an interesting
    picture.

    Dan Petre's birds is high on my list. Strange combination of good use
    of negative space, unconnected background squares that somehow fit in
    here, and birds facing the short and busy side...but the overall
    effect is just right.

    Interesting that I didn't like the breast-like things that stood out
    in Peter's image, but I like the hand wheels of the sewing machines in
    this one. The two images, and Bob Coe's graveyard, have a lot in
    common. The sewing machines seem to be floating.

    Here's Alan again with what looks like a dried-out flat that the water
    in the background once covered. I like the black spiderwork of the
    gaps and that half-buried piece of railroad tie (?)

    All in all, a nice range of effort from all.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Jul 19, 2012
  15. Robert Coe

    tony cooper Guest

    Re: [SI] Pairs, etc - Cooper's Comments on in-house shots

    On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 15:51:09 +1200, Eric Stevens
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 17:24:52 -0700, Savageduck
    ><savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >>> All I can say is, regardless of cause, the final effect is one of both
    >>> birds appearing over saturated to the point of being unpleasant.
    >>> Perhaps there might have been a fix available in post. I am sure it is
    >>> possible to reach a better solution.

    >>try this for a fix in post:
    >>< http://db.tt/C2TKTOz8 >

    > "Free Range!"
    >

    > "Wotsit?"
    >

    >Who is going to be the first recognise it?

    I see that the Rainbow Lorikeet is considered to be a pest in New
    Zealand. They are classified as a Unwanted Organism under the
    Biosecurity Act.

    Strangely, all of the images of the Rainbow Lorikeet that I find on
    the web have that same mottled chest that I have in my image, but
    thought it was due to being out of focus. Also all of the images look
    over-saturated. Maybe my image is more true-to-life than I thought.

    This image is from
    http://abbfab.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/sww_rainbow_lorikeet.jpg
    an Australian avian biologist's paper on "rainbow effects in parrots'
    plumage".

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Jul 19, 2012
  16. Robert Coe

    On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 18:46:33 -0400, wrote:

    >On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 00:46:10 -0400, tony cooper <>
    >wrote:
    >

    >>Bob Flint. I wish you guys who photograph ducks and plants and
    >>flowers and such would identify them. What are those things, and will
    >>they end up on my table? I do recognize the bean in the second
    >>image. Or is it a snap pea? OK, I'm going for pea.

    >The first things are yellow plum tomatoes... lots of them... kind of boring but
    >they manage to meet the mandate... second plants are regular peas... whats more
    >a pair than peas in a pod?

    Oh, I wasn't complaining about not meeting the mandate or not being an
    interesting subject. I just like to know what I'm looking at.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Jul 20, 2012
  17. Robert Coe

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/19/2012 7:23 PM, tony cooper wrote:
    > On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 18:46:33 -0400, wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 00:46:10 -0400, tony cooper <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>> Bob Flint. I wish you guys who photograph ducks and plants and
    >>> flowers and such would identify them. What are those things, and will
    >>> they end up on my table? I do recognize the bean in the second
    >>> image. Or is it a snap pea? OK, I'm going for pea.

    >> The first things are yellow plum tomatoes... lots of them... kind of boring but
    >> they manage to meet the mandate... second plants are regular peas... whats more
    >> a pair than peas in a pod?

    > Oh, I wasn't complaining about not meeting the mandate or not being an
    > interesting subject. I just like to know what I'm looking at.

    Assuming the image is not intended for a specialty catalog,
    is that more important than abstract artistic pattern, or message
    conveyed by the image.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Jul 21, 2012
  18. Robert Coe

    tony cooper Guest

    Re: [SI] Pairs, etc - Cooper's Comments on in-house shots

    On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 09:02:21 -0400, PeterN
    <> wrote:

    >On 7/19/2012 7:23 PM, tony cooper wrote:
    >> On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 18:46:33 -0400, wrote:

    >>> The first things are yellow plum tomatoes... lots of them... kind of boring but
    >>> they manage to meet the mandate... second plants are regular peas... whats more
    >>> a pair than peas in a pod?

    >> Oh, I wasn't complaining about not meeting the mandate or not being an
    >> interesting subject. I just like to know what I'm looking at.
    >>

    >Assuming the image is not intended for a specialty catalog,
    >is that more important than abstract artistic pattern, or message
    >conveyed by the image.

    I'm not ranking visual impact against content identity. I am simply
    curious about what was photographed. Not being a gardener, I don't
    know what some things look like before they appear on my plate.

    I've never seen ducks like the ones in MG's images, so I wonder what
    kind of duck they are.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Jul 21, 2012
  19. Robert Coe

    MG Guest

    Re: [SI] Pairs, etc - Cooper's Comments on in-house shots

    > I've never seen ducks like the ones in MG's images, so I wonder what
    > kind of duck they are.

    They are egyptian geese in all 3 photos. They were shot in different
    locations on different dates.

    --
    MG

    MG, Jul 21, 2012
  20. Robert Coe

    On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 17:57:58 +0200, MG <> wrote:

    >> I've never seen ducks like the ones in MG's images, so I wonder what
    >> kind of duck they are.

    >They are egyptian geese in all 3 photos. They were shot in different
    >locations on different dates.

    Ah, see, I can't tell the ducks from the geese. Thanks.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Jul 21, 2012