Re: [SI] Pairs etc - Eric Stevens comments

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by tony cooper, Jul 22, 2012.

  1. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sun, 22 Jul 2012 11:18:52 +1200, Eric Stevens
    <> wrote:

    >PAIRS_Bird Fight_ClearyC
    >-----------------------------
    >Bird fight? It looks more like a feeding frenzy. At first I thought
    >the image was a little soft but when I clicked on the 'original' image
    >size it came up both larger and sharper than it had been in the
    >'large' size.
    >
    >PAIRS_Pair of Drops_DaveC
    >--------------------------------
    >A difficult picture and by the look of the EXIF data you were not
    >using the ideal equipment. Depth of focus is critical for this kind of
    >image and f/5.6 won't give you much depth of focus. With my 105mm
    >macro lens I would probably have been at f/45. I don't know how your
    >200mm lens would behave in these circumstances if it was stopped right
    >down. It's a pity about the lack of depth of focus as I would like to
    >have seen what was in those water drops. A good try though.
    >
    >PAIRS_Pair of Lovers_ClearyC
    >----------------------------------
    >Now that's a good shot. Clear, bright and as sharp as a shot of this
    >kind can be. If it's the same 200mm lens as used for the previous
    >shot, it gives a good indication of what can be gained by stopping
    >down even one stop to f/8. Mind you, apart from the wings, the bodies
    >of the two insects lie more or less in a single plane and should be
    >more easily focussed.
    >
    >PAIRS_Sunflower Pattern_ClearyC
    >---------------------------------------
    >Pairs? Well there is certainly lots of them. :)
    >It's a nice sharp photograph at its plane of focus but I'm afraid it
    >doesn't do much for me.
    >
    >PAIRS_Wave Pattern_DaveC
    >--------------------------------
    >I love the texture in the waves but the appearance of the spray makes
    >me wonder whether or not it has been slightly oversharpened?

    Dave and his wife, Cleary (my daughter), share one camera (Nikon D40).
    I stated earlier that "This photo was excessively sharpened to
    accent the water pattern to the right. Blame me if you don't like it,
    because I taught them Photoshop processing techniques."

    Ta for the comments.

    Dave and Cleary do not have access to newsgroups, btw, so I will
    copy/past and forward to them.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Jul 22, 2012

  2. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sun, 22 Jul 2012 14:51:39 +1200, Eric Stevens
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 19:39:17 -0400, tony cooper
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>>PAIRS_Wave Pattern_DaveC
    >>>--------------------------------
    >>>I love the texture in the waves but the appearance of the spray makes
    >>>me wonder whether or not it has been slightly oversharpened?

    >>Dave and his wife, Cleary (my daughter), share one camera (Nikon D40).
    >>I stated earlier that "This photo was excessively sharpened to
    >>accent the water pattern to the right. Blame me if you don't like it,
    >>because I taught them Photoshop processing techniques."
    >>
    >>Ta for the comments.
    >>
    >>Dave and Cleary do not have access to newsgroups, btw, so I will
    >>copy/past and forward to them.
    >>

    >I've somehow missed that. I wasn't making a complaint so much as a
    >constructive criticism. I wasn't complaining about the sharpening in
    >general so much as saying that I thought to much of it may have been
    >applied to the spray. It didn't look quite natural but the waves still
    >did.

    No worries, mate.

    Hey...critique or criticism or constructive criticism...it's all the
    same, and all acceptable and welcome. I wouldn't have gone along with
    my daughter and son-in-law submitting images here if they weren't
    aware that all images are subject to both praise and pans and all in
    between.

    I don't think a comment about over-sharpening, in this case, is a
    complaint. In processing, we often go for particular effect. Not
    everyone sees that effect as complimentary. Be pretty dull if they
    would, wouldn't it?

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Jul 22, 2012