Re: [SI] Pairs etc - Eric Stevens comments

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by tony cooper, Jul 21, 2012.

  1. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 10:55:51 -0400, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:

    >In that sense, the window frame should have been cropped out at the time
    >the photo was composed. As is, it cannot be cropped without cutting
    >into the chair. (Maybe I'll try a content-aware edit in CS5).

    That really isn't necessary:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/shwubema97m6dyo/Browne.jpg

    I selected some lower boards with the rectangular marquee, copied,
    pasted, and moved the pasted part up over window corner. I did a
    little bit of cloning and blurring to make the new section blend in
    and not repeat the pattern of the copied section. A repair made in
    just a couple of minutes.

    The area between the slats would take a little more time. I'd just
    create a layer under this with the wood siding and then use a Layer
    Mask and paint out the gaps to show the wood.

    I think, when you undertake a project like this, you have to consider
    the intent of the image. As a Shoot-In image this worked very well.
    Just as important, it elicited comments. The comments allowed you see
    the image as others see it.

    The book is now closed on this since we are now off and running On The
    Road. The only reason to spend time on this image is in perfecting
    editing techniques and practicing Photoshop cheats in order to be
    better prepared for the next challenge.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Jul 21, 2012

  2. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 11:21:21 -0400, tony cooper
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 10:55:51 -0400, Alan Browne
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>In that sense, the window frame should have been cropped out at the time
    >>the photo was composed. As is, it cannot be cropped without cutting
    >>into the chair. (Maybe I'll try a content-aware edit in CS5).

    >That really isn't necessary:
    >https://www.dropbox.com/s/shwubema97m6dyo/Browne.jpg
    >
    >I selected some lower boards with the rectangular marquee, copied,
    >pasted, and moved the pasted part up over window corner. I did a
    >little bit of cloning and blurring to make the new section blend in
    >and not repeat the pattern of the copied section. A repair made in
    >just a couple of minutes.
    >
    >The area between the slats would take a little more time. I'd just
    >create a layer under this with the wood siding and then use a Layer
    >Mask and paint out the gaps to show the wood.

    I couldn't help myself. I did this in just the section bordered in
    red.

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/5y80z5x3lxecarw/Browne2.jpg

    tony cooper, Jul 21, 2012

  3. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 12:13:42 -0400, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:

    >On 2012-07-21 11:21 , tony cooper wrote:
    >> On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 10:55:51 -0400, Alan Browne
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> In that sense, the window frame should have been cropped out at the time
    >>> the photo was composed. As is, it cannot be cropped without cutting
    >>> into the chair. (Maybe I'll try a content-aware edit in CS5).

    >> That really isn't necessary:
    >> https://www.dropbox.com/s/shwubema97m6dyo/Browne.jpg
    >>
    >> I selected some lower boards with the rectangular marquee, copied,
    >> pasted, and moved the pasted part up over window corner. I did a
    >> little bit of cloning and blurring to make the new section blend in
    >> and not repeat the pattern of the copied section. A repair made in
    >> just a couple of minutes.
    >>
    >> The area between the slats would take a little more time. I'd just
    >> create a layer under this with the wood siding and then use a Layer
    >> Mask and paint out the gaps to show the wood.
    >>
    >> I think, when you undertake a project like this, you have to consider
    >> the intent of the image. As a Shoot-In image this worked very well.
    >> Just as important, it elicited comments. The comments allowed you see
    >> the image as others see it.
    >>
    >> The book is now closed on this since we are now off and running On The
    >> Road. The only reason to spend time on this image is in perfecting
    >> editing techniques and practicing Photoshop cheats in order to be
    >> better prepared for the next challenge.

    >Indeed, but the photoshop cheat that I've only used a few times is the
    >content aware editing tool. So I'd like to see how it performs on the
    >image at hand. (I often use clone/repair). (Later - off for a walk now).
    >
    >You did a pretty sharp job of it in little time.
    >
    >However it's up to me to take the shot so as to make editing an effort
    >of converting the raw effectively, cropping, resizing and sharpening
    >only without delving into the light arts.

    Yeah, I know, but I'm approaching this as an exercise. Like CPR, it's
    best to learn a technique before you really need to use it.

    The family consists of 8 members. I've done some face-swapping using
    this technique in order to have one family group shot where one member
    of the family doesn't look like the village idiot with mouth agape and
    eyes closed.

    I have CS4, which does not have the Content Aware feature. As soon as
    the Duck sees this thread, he'll come up with a Content Aware fix
    using CS5 that works. Some of us like to play around.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Jul 21, 2012
  4. tony cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/21/2012 12:13 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
    > On 2012-07-21 11:21 , tony cooper wrote:
    >> On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 10:55:51 -0400, Alan Browne
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> In that sense, the window frame should have been cropped out at the time
    >>> the photo was composed. As is, it cannot be cropped without cutting
    >>> into the chair. (Maybe I'll try a content-aware edit in CS5).

    >> That really isn't necessary:
    >> https://www.dropbox.com/s/shwubema97m6dyo/Browne.jpg
    >>
    >> I selected some lower boards with the rectangular marquee, copied,
    >> pasted, and moved the pasted part up over window corner. I did a
    >> little bit of cloning and blurring to make the new section blend in
    >> and not repeat the pattern of the copied section. A repair made in
    >> just a couple of minutes.

    > With content aware edition, this took less than 10 seconds from opening
    > the file, selecting the area and applying content-aware-editing:
    >
    > https://www.dropbox.com/s/tj51axzinp8yvr1/Stanstead Jul 200920090805106SMLCAEDIT.jpg
    >

    > Original: http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/143800474
    >
    > It's clear that content aware editing is very complex - since it failed
    > to do a good job here on a simple task. ;-).
    >
    > I'll play with it more later.

    Content aware editing has been improved in CS6, but still it still has a
    way to go. I often have to fix the errors with some cloning.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Jul 21, 2012
  5. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 10:03:58 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2012-07-21 09:25:29 -0700, tony cooper <> said:
    >
    >> On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 12:13:42 -0400, Alan Browne
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> Indeed, but the photoshop cheat that I've only used a few times is the
    >>> content aware editing tool. So I'd like to see how it performs on the
    >>> image at hand. (I often use clone/repair). (Later - off for a walk now).
    >>>
    >>> You did a pretty sharp job of it in little time.
    >>>
    >>> However it's up to me to take the shot so as to make editing an effort
    >>> of converting the raw effectively, cropping, resizing and sharpening
    >>> only without delving into the light arts.

    >> Yeah, I know, but I'm approaching this as an exercise. Like CPR, it's
    >> best to learn a technique before you really need to use it.
    >>
    >> The family consists of 8 members. I've done some face-swapping using
    >> this technique in order to have one family group shot where one member
    >> of the family doesn't look like the village idiot with mouth agape and
    >> eyes closed.
    >>
    >> I have CS4, which does not have the Content Aware feature. As soon as
    >> the Duck sees this thread, he'll come up with a Content Aware fix
    >> using CS5 that works. Some of us like to play around.

    >Curses!
    >Done and posted!
    >
    >You do have "Vanishing Point" in CS4 and that is a pretty good
    >tool/filter to use for this fix even if you don't have content aware
    >correction.

    Whoa! You messed up just to left of the wine glass. The board edge
    "jumps" and the color doesn't match. You can do better than this.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Jul 21, 2012
  6. tony cooper

    otter Guest

    Re: Pairs etc - Eric Stevens comments

    On Jul 22, 11:00 am, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
    wrote:
    > On 2012-07-21 22:24:24 -0700, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>said:
    >

    > > On 2012-07-21 12:57:53 -0700, Alan Browne
    > > <> said:

    > Original:
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/143800474
    >
    > It's
    >
    > clear

    > >> Pretty good.  There's a slight mis-alignment.

    > > It could be done better. Just a quick & dirty fix, but more of a
    > > reminder that there is a tool we forget about, The "Vanishing Point"
    > > filter.

    > I have been playing with the image and came up with two variations, I
    > did not use content aware correction here, just Vanishing Point, and a
    > couple of other tweeks:
    > <http://db.tt/85P6IbQu>
    > <http://db.tt/72GCcgde>

    I don't know what you were trying to do with the second one, but I
    like the first better. The one other thing I'd do is remove the
    semicircular knot hole.
    otter, Jul 22, 2012