Re: [SI] On The Road is up

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Paul Furman, Aug 26, 2012.

  1. Paul Furman

    Paul Furman Guest

    Ah, I didn't x-post to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems & rec.photo.digital with this a couple days ago, assuming not everybody reads rec.photo.equipment..35mm.

    In fact, I'm not unable to x-post with google groups so multi-post it is...

    Frank S wrote:
    > SI Committee wrote:
    >
    > > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/the_road

    > I LIKE 'em!

    Yeah :)
    I'll make comments, then read the thread:

    > Here's the list I will use to make comments.
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/145001541 Lazardo's socks

    Neat story, just enough variety to keep your eye scanning the image comfortably.

    > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/145001544 Barstow

    Farming in the desert... what are they growing? Classic scene well captured..

    > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/145009045 Clouds

    I've had to shoot at f/1.8 to wipe out the dirty window that was a treat tobe able to shoot f/11. Soothing scenery... good for a desktop background.

    > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/145287064 Tim Conway's cityscape

    Clean illustrative capture of a freeway scene - I can see this illustratinga magazine article as stock photography..

    > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/145391968 Stick's gate

    That seems worth doing some serious photoshopping on the green constructionfence, no? Magic moment.

    > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/145421260 Erick Stevens' early morning
    > traffic

    Strange energy with no cars in the foreground drew me in, then the flying streetlights grab my eye and I swoop through again. Interesting!

    > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/145421261 yellow

    The composition and tilt don't work for me.

    > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/145485065 flashmob

    Great lively city sidewalk scene. I appreciate the creative cropping.

    > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/145514507 Alan Browne's road & fence

    Charming rural seaside scene, well captured. Odd that the 'log-pole'fence reminds me of a 'coyote fence' from New Mexico, made with much smaller sticks.

    > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/145514511 flume

    Neat scene well captured. I want to see the hill where that flume presumably originates in the background.

    > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/145514513 slo-mo waterfall

    Beautiful showering falls, just the right shutter speed.

    > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/145436252 Valley of Fire

    Vivid capture of a difficult-to-capture desert scene. I played by cropping out all the sky - I liked that more.

    > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/145436253 Death Valley

    I love the dynamic composition. Flawless.

    > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/145452452 Dead end

    The first 2 Duck shots do nothing for me but this one is great.

    > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/145475823 Tony Cooper's armadillo

    Ugh, even the bokeh looks ill. That works here though.

    > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/145485061 Biker

    Lovely repeating jumble!

    > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/145485063 off road

    Fascinating decaying bus - keeps my eyes comfortably busy exploring the details.

    > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/145485064 no go

    lol

    > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/145485055 Bob Coe's Ford

    Great find, well conveyed.

    > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/145485056 station

    Perfect quaintness. The top seems cropped a bit tight if I nitpick.

    > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/145485059 roller

    Great old machine. Nice lighting and framing.

    > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/145485066 Frank Ess's vanishing point

    I love the repeating blues of the car hood and distant mesas - the composition feels unbalanced though.

    > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/145485068 tilt

    Perfect composition but the lighting is dull and the action not very interesting.

    > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/145485069 Otter's Luckenbach

    Neat scene well captured - magic hour lighting - human interest.

    > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/145485070 eatery

    Fantastic :)

    > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/145486071 Dan Peters' road

    Nightmare or science fiction disaster? Or drunk driving, I suppose...

    > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/145487125 KPetre's road 1

    Wonderful scenery, I want to go there...

    > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/145487130 3

    Kind of mysterious.

    > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/145508809 Peter Newman's rail

    Crazy saturation and contrast - it works here.

    > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/145508813 sail

    Very serene. I know this scene so it brings that feeling of a peaceful sailing evening on the town.

    > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/145508815 street

    Disturbing.

    > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/145508817 Paul Furman's trail

    I've gotten some neat dreamy shots with the cell phone shooting into the sun but yeah, this is too much. If the film shot had come through, it would have been a tad wider (28mm f/2 Ai Nikkor) and looked better, I'll bet. The trees and light were very dramatic, the details were rich. I know, I shouldn't blame my tools...

    Thanks for playing everyone!

    Paul Furman, Aug 26, 2012

  2. Paul Furman

    PeterN Guest