Re: [SI] On The Road - 'duck Comments

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by tony cooper, Aug 22, 2012.

  1. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 14:39:56 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2012-08-21 12:28:54 -0700, jgh <> said:
    >
    >> On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 17:12:00 -0700, Savageduck wrote:
    >>
    >>> ‘Duck comments:

    >> [...]
    >>> Stick?? who is Stick?:
    >>> On-Road-01:
    >>> Nice idea with the golden sunlight lighting the cobbled road through the
    >>> fortified wall. Nice touch having the car leaving to be “on the road. I
    >>> can’t help but believe that a CPF, or ND Grad, or a different approach
    >>> to your post processing might have made this a better shot.

    >> Thanks. This was a grab shot, in Avila (Spain) at sunset.
    >> It's had no post; I'm interested in what you'd do to it.

    >Avila, Spain.
    >My #2 was shot on Avila Beach Drive, Avila Beach, California.
    >
    >Just playing around with what you submitted to the SI, I came up with
    >this result. Just remember that without the original I am limited in
    >what can be done, and what I have posted below, might not be by any
    >stretch of the imagination, the best possible result, but it is
    >different, and addresses some of the issues of the tough lighting and
    >exposure conditions you had to deal with.
    ><
    >https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lx56l61b7bbj1se/4UnldhuJG7/Shared Images/USENET SHARE/Stick
    >>

    >I hope to see more of your stuff in future SI's. Don't concern yourself
    >with some of the banter in the various comments, all mean well and are
    >just expressing our particular opinions, along with constructive
    >criticism.

    Banter to follow...

    I prefer the original version. The revised version's flaws, in my
    eye, are the increased detail of the wall and bright, brassy colors in
    the middle.

    The wall isn't the subject. The wall is the backdrop for the opening
    and the light through the opening. Let the wall stay a backdrop.

    The soft color of the light on the cobbles and through the opening is
    pleasing. Nice warm look.

    OK...banter mode on. HDR has infected you, Duck. It's like that
    flesh-eating disease that destroys the body cell-by-cell. All images
    don't need garish brights and excessive detail. Some things in an
    image can be there as a frame to showcase something else. Soft can be
    good.

    Look specifically at the green area in contrast with the golden
    landscape in the original. The green is the pearl earring. Now look
    at that same area in the revised image. There's a harsh change of
    color.

    Then look at the white sign in the original. It's there, but it
    blends in. In the revision, it's more noticeable than the lamp
    outside. It's an eye magnet.

    I can see a little - just a touch - of lightening up the walls to
    provide enough suggestion of the stone work to know it's there. I'd
    leave the soft gold the way it is. The only real change I'd make is
    to take out that spot of darkness in the cobbles.

    It's probably the shadow of something, but it looks like an oil stain.

    In framing the original composition, I think I'd like to see the
    photographer moving to his left so there isn't so much balance in the
    centered opening and the triangular points at the top. Too late for
    that, though (and haven't we all been there?).

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Aug 22, 2012

  2. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 16:25:31 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >> I can see a little - just a touch - of lightening up the walls to
    >> provide enough suggestion of the stone work to know it's there. I'd
    >> leave the soft gold the way it is. The only real change I'd make is
    >> to take out that spot of darkness in the cobbles.
    >>
    >> It's probably the shadow of something, but it looks like an oil stain.

    >That is the shadow of the lamp outside the portal.

    Probably, but the angle of the shadow of the car doesn't seem to agree
    with the shadow of the lamp that far out. Could be, though.
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Aug 22, 2012

  3. tony cooper

    Robert Coe Guest

    :
[...]

    Maybe the Duck has become infected with HDR fever, Tony, but your
    anti-centering fixation may be just as disabling in the long run. Some
    pictures look better centered; some don't. What looks best in a given
    situation is all that really matters.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Aug 23, 2012
  4. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 06:27:20 -0400, Robert Coe <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 19:16:05 -0400, tony cooper <>
    >wrote:
    >: OK...banter mode on. HDR has infected you, Duck. It's like that
    >: flesh-eating disease that destroys the body cell-by-cell. All images
    >: don't need garish brights and excessive detail. Some things in an
    >: image can be there as a frame to showcase something else. Soft can be
    >: good.
    >:
    >: Look specifically at the green area in contrast with the golden
    >: landscape in the original. The green is the pearl earring. Now look
    >: at that same area in the revised image. There's a harsh change of
    >: color.
    >:
    >: Then look at the white sign in the original. It's there, but it
    >: blends in. In the revision, it's more noticeable than the lamp
    >: outside. It's an eye magnet.
    >:
    >: I can see a little - just a touch - of lightening up the walls to
    >: provide enough suggestion of the stone work to know it's there. I'd
    >: leave the soft gold the way it is. The only real change I'd make is
    >: to take out that spot of darkness in the cobbles.
    >:
    >: It's probably the shadow of something, but it looks like an oil stain.
    >:
    >: In framing the original composition, I think I'd like to see the
    >: photographer moving to his left so there isn't so much balance in the
    >: centered opening and the triangular points at the top. Too late for
    >: that, though (and haven't we all been there?).
    >
    >Maybe the Duck has become infected with HDR fever, Tony, but your
    >anti-centering fixation may be just as disabling in the long run. Some
    >pictures look better centered; some don't. What looks best in a given
    >situation is all that really matters.

    I approach every photograph independently. What you see as a
    "fixation" is if a centered image is one that I think would look
    better un-centered, I comment on that. What you don't seem to notice
    is that I *don't* comment on the centering when I feel that this is
    appropriate for the image.

    If you look at my comments on all of the images, I like the centering
    or don't comment on not liking it, in many of the images. There were
    many centered roads.

    "What looks best" is the idea of commenting on the balance of an
    image. Centering or not centering is often more about balance than it
    is position. In Eric's "Yellow Lines", and Bowser's black and white
    road stripes, the images are centered. Eric's image is one of my
    favorites. In these cases, centering balances the image.

    In Stick's image, the opening can be moved to one side (de-centering
    it), but the image will still be in balance. Until we see what that
    view would look like, we don't know if it would be better or not.
    But, comments are supposed to encourage a submitter to think about
    other ways an image could be shot.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Aug 23, 2012