Re: [SI] On The Road - 'duck Comments

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by PeterN, Aug 21, 2012.

  1. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 8/20/2012 8:12 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > ‘Duck comments:

    <snip>

    > Peter Newman:
    > On-Road-01:
    > Nice rail car (caboose I suspect) on the railroad, but the contrast and
    > saturation seems to be a tad over cranked to me.

    And deliberately so. I was trying to make a statement about the garish
    lifestyle that existed for many in the days of the caboose.

    > On-Road-02:
    > Nice image, but this time I have different issues. I know the D300 can
    > perform better than that at ISO 800. There is too much noise and I am
    > not sure if that is ISO 800 noise(which I doubt) or over sharpening in
    > post. If ISO 800 noise, the noise reduction in ACR works very well now.
    > If due to over sharpening, well shame on you.

    I guess my eyes are getting old. I was playing with a new method of
    sharpening. When I get some time I would probably redo this image as a
    low-key soft focus presentation.

    > On-Road-03:
    > On the road, but Aaaaaggh! What were you thinking? Don’t tell us this is
    > some sort of strange Newman abstraction. Sorry Peter this is just a back
    > to the drawing board mess.

    I just happened to like the way those kids were relating to their ride
    on the back of that carriage. I was shooting through the windshield with
    a fairly soft lens. (18 – 200). Of course, everything but the children
    was converted to monochrome because the carriage had these bright red
    reflectors that were distracting.

    I really appreciate all comments, and the ones telling me what is wrong,
    even more.

    --

    PeterN

    PeterN, Aug 21, 2012

  2. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 8/20/2012 10:24 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-08-20 19:06:41 -0700, PeterN <> said:
    >
    >> On 8/20/2012 8:12 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    >>> ‘Duck comments:
    >>>

    >> <snip>
    >>

    >>> Peter Newman:
    >>> On-Road-01:
    >>> Nice rail car (caboose I suspect) on the railroad, but the contrast and
    >>> saturation seems to be a tad over cranked to me.

    >> And deliberately so. I was trying to make a statement about the garish
    >> lifestyle that existed for many in the days of the caboose.

    > OK! I'll buy that.
    >
    >>> On-Road-02:
    >>> Nice image, but this time I have different issues. I know the D300 can
    >>> perform better than that at ISO 800. There is too much noise and I am
    >>> not sure if that is ISO 800 noise(which I doubt) or over sharpening in
    >>> post. If ISO 800 noise, the noise reduction in ACR works very well now.
    >>> If due to over sharpening, well shame on you.

    >> I guess my eyes are getting old. I was playing with a new method of
    >> sharpening.

    > High Pass?

    Nope. Double sharpening on the Luminescence channel, high threshold in
    LAB. I was looking for an almost embossed effect, I send you the link
    later n the week. I want to play some more.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Aug 21, 2012

  3. PeterN

    tony cooper Guest

    On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 22:06:41 -0400, PeterN
    <> wrote:

    >> On-Road-02:
    >> Nice image, but this time I have different issues. I know the D300 can
    >> perform better than that at ISO 800. There is too much noise and I am
    >> not sure if that is ISO 800 noise(which I doubt) or over sharpening in
    >> post. If ISO 800 noise, the noise reduction in ACR works very well now.
    >> If due to over sharpening, well shame on you.

    >I guess my eyes are getting old. I was playing with a new method of
    >sharpening. When I get some time I would probably redo this image as a
    >low-key soft focus presentation.

    Oddly, that look - which I attributed to a "film grain" filter - is
    what makes this image distinctive in my view. I like the effect.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Aug 21, 2012
  4. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 8/20/2012 10:24 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-08-20 19:06:41 -0700, PeterN <> said:
    >
    >> On 8/20/2012 8:12 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    >>> ‘Duck comments:
    >>>

    >> <snip>
    >>

    >>> Peter Newman:
    >>> On-Road-01:
    >>> Nice rail car (caboose I suspect) on the railroad, but the contrast and
    >>> saturation seems to be a tad over cranked to me.

    >> And deliberately so. I was trying to make a statement about the garish
    >> lifestyle that existed for many in the days of the caboose.

    > OK! I'll buy that.
    >
    >>> On-Road-02:
    >>> Nice image, but this time I have different issues. I know the D300 can
    >>> perform better than that at ISO 800. There is too much noise and I am
    >>> not sure if that is ISO 800 noise(which I doubt) or over sharpening in
    >>> post. If ISO 800 noise, the noise reduction in ACR works very well now.
    >>> If due to over sharpening, well shame on you.

    >> I guess my eyes are getting old. I was playing with a new method of
    >> sharpening.

    > High Pass?
    >
    >> When I get some time I would probably redo this image as a low-key
    >> soft focus presentation.

    > Hey! If you send me the NEF or an unaltered jpeg(dropbox link) via
    > email, I might have an idea or two to deal with the noise and sharpen.

    Check your email:

    --

    PeterN

    PeterN, Aug 23, 2012
  5. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 8/23/2012 12:31 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-08-23 07:24:52 -0700, PeterN <> said:
    >
    >> On 8/20/2012 10:24 PM, Savageduck wrote:

    >>> OK! I'll buy that.

    >>> High Pass?

    >>> Hey! If you send me the NEF or an unaltered jpeg(dropbox link) via
    >>> email, I might have an idea or two to deal with the noise and sharpen.
    >>>

    >> Check your email:

    > Got it!
    > Results to follow.
    > ...but now I understand the problem you were trying to fix. My solution
    > might be a little different.

    I may have sent the wrong RAW file, but they were all taken about the
    same time.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Aug 23, 2012