Re: [SI] Next Mandate: The Letter "S" (due July 24th, 2011)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Robert Coe, Jun 25, 2011.

  1. Robert Coe

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 14:32:30 -0400, Bowser <> wrote:
    : Time for another "letter" mandate, this time, "S." Send me shots of any
    : thing that begins with the letter S. Statues. Snowmobiles. Scooters.
    : Streetwalkers. But no adjectives. Don't submit a picture of some
    : relative and label it "stupid uncle."

    But "simpleton" would be within scope, right? Assuming, say, that we could
    manage to get off a shot of a Republican presidential candidate.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Jun 25, 2011

  2. Robert Coe

    PeterN Guest

    On 6/25/2011 8:50 AM, Robert Coe wrote:
    > On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 14:32:30 -0400, Bowser<> wrote:
    > : Time for another "letter" mandate, this time, "S." Send me shots of any
    > : thing that begins with the letter S. Statues. Snowmobiles. Scooters.
    > : Streetwalkers. But no adjectives. Don't submit a picture of some
    > : relative and label it "stupid uncle."
    >
    > But "simpleton" would be within scope, right? Assuming, say, that we could
    > manage to get off a shot of a Republican presidential candidate.

    One Republican, former VP candidate is generally labeled "simpleton,"
    has made millions. Is she really a "simpleton?" Or are those who supply
    her money worthy of that label.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Jun 25, 2011

  3. Robert Coe

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 11:01:36 -0400, PeterN <>
    wrote:
    : On 6/25/2011 8:50 AM, Robert Coe wrote:
    : > On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 14:32:30 -0400, Bowser<> wrote:
    : > : Time for another "letter" mandate, this time, "S." Send me shots of any
    : > : thing that begins with the letter S. Statues. Snowmobiles. Scooters.
    : > : Streetwalkers. But no adjectives. Don't submit a picture of some
    : > : relative and label it "stupid uncle."
    : >
    :
    : One Republican, former VP candidate is generally labeled "simpleton,"
    : has made millions. Is she really a "simpleton?" Or are those who supply
    : her money worthy of that label.

    I'm afraid the answer is a resounding "yes" to both questions. :^|

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Jun 25, 2011
  4. Robert Coe

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 18:36:46 -0400, Bowser <> wrote:

    >On 6/25/2011 11:01 AM, PeterN wrote:
    >> On 6/25/2011 8:50 AM, Robert Coe wrote:
    >>> On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 14:32:30 -0400, Bowser<> wrote:
    >>> : Time for another "letter" mandate, this time, "S." Send me shots of any
    >>> : thing that begins with the letter S. Statues. Snowmobiles. Scooters.
    >>> : Streetwalkers. But no adjectives. Don't submit a picture of some
    >>> : relative and label it "stupid uncle."
    >>>
    >>> But "simpleton" would be within scope, right? Assuming, say, that we
    >>> could
    >>> manage to get off a shot of a Republican presidential candidate.
    >>>

    >> One Republican, former VP candidate is generally labeled "simpleton,"
    >> has made millions. Is she really a "simpleton?" Or are those who supply
    >> her money worthy of that label.
    >>

    >She's an example of a simpleton who has made millions off of other
    >simpletons. I think this is referred to as Complex Simpleton Syndrome.
    >
    >Meanwhile, she's quit her "bus tour" in order to warn the British that
    >The price of Revere Ware is going up.

    She has not canceled the bus tour. She has simply discontinued it
    until she starts it again. That's what she says, and she's sticking
    to it.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Jun 26, 2011
  5. Robert Coe

    K W Hart Guest

    "Allen" <> wrote in message
    > On 6/25/2011 2:45 PM, Frank S wrote:
    >>
    >> "Robert Coe" <> wrote in message
    >>> On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 11:01:36 -0400, PeterN
    >>> <>
    >>> wrote:
    >>> : On 6/25/2011 8:50 AM, Robert Coe wrote:
    >>> : > On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 14:32:30 -0400, Bowser<>
    >>> wrote:
    >>> : > : Time for another "letter" mandate, this time, "S." Send me shots
    >>> of any
    >>> : > : thing that begins with the letter S. Statues. Snowmobiles.
    >>> Scooters.
    >>> : > : Streetwalkers. But no adjectives. Don't submit a picture of some
    >>> : > : relative and label it "stupid uncle."
    >>> : >
    >>> : > But "simpleton" would be within scope, right? Assuming, say, that
    >>> we could
    >>> : > manage to get off a shot of a Republican presidential candidate.
    >>> :
    >>> : One Republican, former VP candidate is generally labeled "simpleton,"
    >>> : has made millions. Is she really a "simpleton?" Or are those who
    >>> supply
    >>> : her money worthy of that label.
    >>>
    >>> I'm afraid the answer is a resounding "yes" to both questions. :^|
    >>>

    >> I read an article that characterized her Alaska governorship as quite
    >> useful to Alaskans. When she was tapped for the Republican ticket it
    >> seems she lost her bearings.
    >>
    >> Where I worked it was common knowledge that when one reached a certain
    >> level in the organization there was a transition from competence to
    >> shit-for-brains. Maybe a national spotlight affects some folks that way?
    >>

    > That is called the "Peter Principle", in a 1969 book of the same name by
    > Laurence J. Peter. The term went into the vocabulary with a bang within
    > days after publication. Read it--it's fun, and oh so true.
    > Allen

    I have the book, I've read it several times. And once you catch on to the
    theory, it becomes blatently obvious. People get promoted to their level of
    incompetence. If you are doing a good job, you get promoted. Once you get
    promoted so far, you can no longer handle the work, so you stay at that
    level, your "Level of Incompetence". The book details case studies where
    people purposely avoided being promoted to their level of incompetence. What
    I want to know is, is the book factual studies or close to real life
    fiction?
    K W Hart, Jun 26, 2011
  6. Robert Coe

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 18:37:54 -0400, Bowser <> wrote:
    : On 6/25/2011 4:40 PM, Allen wrote:
    : > On 6/25/2011 2:45 PM, Frank S wrote:
    : >>
    : >> "Robert Coe" <> wrote in message
    : >> news:...
    : >>> On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 11:01:36 -0400, PeterN
    : >>> <>
    : >>> wrote:
    : >>> : > : Time for another "letter" mandate, this time, "S." Send me shots
    : >>> of any
    : >>> : > : thing that begins with the letter S. Statues. Snowmobiles.
    : >>> Scooters.
    : >>> : > : Streetwalkers. But no adjectives. Don't submit a picture of some
    : >>> : > : relative and label it "stupid uncle."
    : >>> : >
    : >>> : > But "simpleton" would be within scope, right? Assuming, say, that
    : >>> we could
    : >>> : > manage to get off a shot of a Republican presidential candidate.
    : >>> :
    : >>> : One Republican, former VP candidate is generally labeled "simpleton,"
    : >>> : has made millions. Is she really a "simpleton?" Or are those who
    : >>> supply
    : >>> : her money worthy of that label.
    : >>>
[...]
    : In simpler, and cruder terms, it's called "**** Up Move Up."

    Actually, the Peter Principle isn't so much about incompetents getting kicked
    upstairs. (That tends to be a quirk of the Military.) It's more that a person
    will move up until he reaches a job he can't handle and become stuck there.
    The underlying principle is that everyone eventually rises to his "Level of
    Incompetence". I daresay that famous photographers, no less than famous
    politicians, might be spotted there from time to time.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Jun 26, 2011
  7. Robert Coe

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 18:38:56 -0400, Bowser <> wrote:
    : On 6/25/2011 8:50 AM, Robert Coe wrote:
    : > On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 14:32:30 -0400, Bowser<> wrote:
    : > : Time for another "letter" mandate, this time, "S." Send me shots of any
    : > : thing that begins with the letter S. Statues. Snowmobiles. Scooters.
    : > : Streetwalkers. But no adjectives. Don't submit a picture of some
    : > : relative and label it "stupid uncle."
    : >
    : > But "simpleton" would be within scope, right? Assuming, say, that we could
    : > manage to get off a shot of a Republican presidential candidate.
    : >
    : > Bob
    :
    : Excellent idea, and if someone who's name begins with "S" declares her
    : candidacy, you'll have multiple S's in one shot.
    :
    : Can she see her reflection in a mirror?

    Bowser and I may spot some GOPpers passing through the Boston area as they
    swarm into New Hampshire, but not nearly in time for the mandate.
    Photographing a politician isn't impossible, though. A few years ago my New
    Hampshire granddaughter got photographed talking to Mitt Romney, and in 2008
    my daughter got several pictures of Barack Obama in Philadelphia, only a
    couple of hours after he gave his famous speech on race.

    BTW, Empty Suit Romney arguably qualifies as an "S".

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Jun 26, 2011
  8. Robert Coe

    PeterN Guest

    On 6/26/2011 1:30 AM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2011-06-25 18:46:58 -0700, Robert Coe <> said:
    >
    >> On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 18:38:56 -0400, Bowser <> wrote:
    >> : On 6/25/2011 8:50 AM, Robert Coe wrote:
    >> : > On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 14:32:30 -0400, Bowser<> wrote:
    >> : > : Time for another "letter" mandate, this time, "S." Send me shots
    >> of any
    >> : > : thing that begins with the letter S. Statues. Snowmobiles.
    >> Scooters.
    >> : > : Streetwalkers. But no adjectives. Don't submit a picture of some
    >> : > : relative and label it "stupid uncle."
    >> : >
    >> : > But "simpleton" would be within scope, right? Assuming, say, that
    >> we could
    >> : > manage to get off a shot of a Republican presidential candidate.
    >> : >
    >> : > Bob
    >> :
    >> : Excellent idea, and if someone who's name begins with "S" declares her
    >> : candidacy, you'll have multiple S's in one shot.
    >> :
    >> : Can she see her reflection in a mirror?
    >>
    >> Bowser and I may spot some GOPpers passing through the Boston area as
    >> they
    >> swarm into New Hampshire, but not nearly in time for the mandate.
    >> Photographing a politician isn't impossible, though. A few years ago
    >> my New
    >> Hampshire granddaughter got photographed talking to Mitt Romney, and
    >> in 2008
    >> my daughter got several pictures of Barack Obama in Philadelphia, only a
    >> couple of hours after he gave his famous speech on race.
    >>
    >> BTW, Empty Suit Romney arguably qualifies as an "S".
    >>
    >> Bob

    > I thought he was an "M".

    That's the French word for one of the alternatives.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Jun 26, 2011
  9. Robert Coe

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 22:30:39 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    : On 2011-06-25 18:46:58 -0700, Robert Coe <> said:
    :
    : > On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 18:38:56 -0400, Bowser <> wrote:
    : > : On 6/25/2011 8:50 AM, Robert Coe wrote:
    : > : > On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 14:32:30 -0400, Bowser<> wrote:
    : > : > : Time for another "letter" mandate, this time, "S." Send me shots of any
    : > : > : thing that begins with the letter S. Statues. Snowmobiles. Scooters.
    : > : > : Streetwalkers. But no adjectives. Don't submit a picture of some
    : > : > : relative and label it "stupid uncle."
    : > : >
    : > : > But "simpleton" would be within scope, right? Assuming, say, that we
    : > : > could manage to get off a shot of a Republican presidential candidate.
    : > : >
    : > : > Bob
    : > :
[...]

    Well, OK, I suppose an explanation is in order. The candidate's official name
    is "Willard Milton Romney", but I generally assign any serious player a more
    descriptive "political name" for use in ordinary conversation. It makes the
    names easier to remember. Romney's is "Empty Suit Romney". Since Romney
    himself uses an abbreviation of his middle name for identification purposes,
    it's no great leap to refer to him as "E. Suit Romney" ("Sooter" for short),
    and I guess that qualifies him as an "S" in the context of the Shoot-In. It's
    no big deal, since I wasn't planning to photograph him for the SI anyway.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Jun 26, 2011