Re: [SI] New Mandate: Steeple(s) Due February 10th, 2013

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rob, Feb 9, 2013.

  1. Rob

    Rob Guest

    On 9/02/2013 7:40 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
    > On Fri, 8 Feb 2013 20:24:30 -0800, Savageduck
    > <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    >
    >> On 2013-01-09 10:13:19 -0800, Bowser <> said:
    >>
    >>> Greetings from the great white north. Time for a new mandate for our
    >>> beloved shoot-in: Steeple(s). This month's mandate is a simple one
    >>> that will force us to all shoot the same subject (essentially). The
    >>> challenge is to use light, composition, and other tools, like filters,
    >>> to make the subject as interesting as possible. You don't *need* to
    >>> resort to trickery, so that's up to you. Sometimes the subject itself
    >>> is good enough. And, since some of you may have shot some interesting
    >>> steeples during past travels, one archive shot is acceptable for this
    >>> mandate, if you so choose.
    >>>
    >>> Now go forth and shoot. It's what we should all be doing instead of
    >>> talking about shooting. :)
    >>>
    >>> The gallery will be posted here:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/steeples
    >>>
    >>> More info on the shoot-in for noobs:
    >>>
    >>> It's all described here, in the rulz page:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage
    >>> (ignore the date for this mandate in the Rulz page; that will be
    >>> changed shortly, if it hasn't already. This mandate is due on Febryary
    >>> 10th)
    >>>
    >>> Where to send them: shootinphotos at gmail dot com
    >>>
    >>> Briefly: the shoot-in is a monthly exercise where a mandate is posted
    >>> here (this NG and rec.photo.digital) and the participants shoot photos
    >>> to match the mandate. There are no prizes. This is not a competition.
    >>> All we ask is that you do your best to shoot a few pics, submit up to
    >>> three of them, and size them properly for the shoot-in. We ask that
    >>> you follow these guidlines for photo sizes:
    >>>
    >>> 1200 pixels wide
    >>> 800 pixels high
    >>> No larger than 500K file size.
    >>>
    >>> These are somewhat loose, so don't slavishly follow the photo size
    >>> guidelines. Crop your pic to suit the subject, not our guidelines. But
    >>> please, no huge files.
    >>>
    >>> And, after the gallery has been posted, please comment! I don't always
    >>> agree with the comments, but they're always constructive (or have been
    >>> as of late).

    >> Recycled for Eric.

    > Many thanks.

    And you have a days advantage to get them in.

    Rob, Feb 9, 2013

  2. Rob

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 09 Feb 2013 19:46:07 +1100, Rob <> wrote:
    : On 9/02/2013 7:40 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
    : > On Fri, 8 Feb 2013 20:24:30 -0800, Savageduck
    : > <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    : >
    : >> On 2013-01-09 10:13:19 -0800, Bowser <> said:
    : >>
    : >>> Greetings from the great white north. Time for a new mandate for our
    : >>> beloved shoot-in: Steeple(s). This month's mandate is a simple one
    : >>> that will force us to all shoot the same subject (essentially). The
    : >>> challenge is to use light, composition, and other tools, like filters,
    : >>> to make the subject as interesting as possible. You don't *need* to
    : >>> resort to trickery, so that's up to you. Sometimes the subject itself
    : >>> is good enough. And, since some of you may have shot some interesting
    : >>> steeples during past travels, one archive shot is acceptable for this
    : >>> mandate, if you so choose.
    : >>>
[...]
    :
    :
    : And you have a days advantage to get them in.

    So did Martha and I, in a manner of speaking. We're in the middle of an epic
    blizzard and are afraid of losing electricity. So we got busy and got our pix
    in yesterday! I don't think either of us has ever been that early before. :^)

    Snow should stay up in the mountains where it belongs. Cities don't need it.
    Eric may be having trouble reading the newsgroups, but at least it's summer
    where he is.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Feb 9, 2013

  3. Rob

    Rob Guest

    On 10/02/2013 12:58 AM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2013-02-09 04:23:28 -0800, Robert Coe <> said:
    >
    >> On Sat, 09 Feb 2013 19:46:07 +1100, Rob <>
    >> wrote:

    > << Le Snip >>
    >>
    >> : And you have a days advantage to get them in.
    >>
    >> So did Martha and I, in a manner of speaking. We're in the middle of
    >> an epic
    >> blizzard and are afraid of losing electricity. So we got busy and got
    >> our pix
    >> in yesterday! I don't think either of us has ever been that early
    >> before. :^)
    >>
    >> Snow should stay up in the mountains where it belongs. Cities don't
    >> need it.
    >> Eric may be having trouble reading the newsgroups, but at least it's
    >> summer
    >> where he is.
    >>
    >> Bob

    > The big question should be; does Bowser have power and a weatherproof
    > internet connection?

    Of course UPS either way!

    Rob, Feb 9, 2013
  4. Rob

    Rob Guest

    On 10/02/2013 8:05 AM, Eric Stevens wrote:
> [...]
    >> : >>
    >> : >> Recycled for Eric.
    >> : >
    >> : > Many thanks.
    >> : >
    >> :
    >> :
    >> : And you have a days advantage to get them in.
    >>
    >> So did Martha and I, in a manner of speaking. We're in the middle of an epic
    >> blizzard and are afraid of losing electricity. So we got busy and got our pix
    >> in yesterday! I don't think either of us has ever been that early before. :^)
    >>
    >> Snow should stay up in the mountains where it belongs. Cities don't need it.
    >> Eric may be having trouble reading the newsgroups, but at least it's summer
    >> where he is.

    > At long laast too. For eight months before that its been dank, cold,
    > cloudy and windy. I think there were about three days on which I saw

    With the constant westerly wind blowing its just smoke haze from all the
    bushfires here. All that stuff blows over to your neck of the woods
    including all that red dust.

    Rob, Feb 9, 2013
  5. Rob

    Rob Guest

    On 10/02/2013 9:50 AM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2013-02-09 14:32:43 -0800, Rob <> said:

    >>> << Le Snip >>

    >>> The big question should be; does Bowser have power and a weatherproof
    >>> internet connection?
    >>>

    >> Of course UPS either way!

    > My UPS doesn't give me 12-48 hours of power(30-45 minutes at best), or
    > in the case of some of the folks recovering from Hurricane Sandy, 2
    > weeks, but my Honda EU3000 generator does.
    >
    > A UPS is no guarantee that an ISP is going to be able to maintain
    > service in times of harsh weather of the type currently being
    > experienced in the North East. However, since Bowser has posted since I
    > posed my question, I guess he is OK for now.

    United Postal Service!

    Rob, Feb 10, 2013
  6. Rob

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 9 Feb 2013 05:58:52 -0800, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
    wrote:
[...]

    He's posted a couple of times this afternoon, so I guess he does. He's closer
    to the shore than I am, so there was cause for concern. West of town we got a
    lot of snow and some high winds, but at least we didn't have seawater pouring
    into our houses.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Feb 10, 2013
  7. Rob

    Tony Cooper Guest

    Tony Cooper, Feb 10, 2013
  8. Rob

    Rob Guest

    This one I was thinking of http://www.ups.com

    Rob, Feb 10, 2013
  9. Rob

    Rob Guest

    On 10/02/2013 1:02 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2013-02-09 17:59:02 -0800, Rob <> said:

    >>> ...and here I am thinking we are talking power loss. ;-)
    >>>
    >>> If I am not mistaken, other than "Universal Power Supply", the other use
    >>> of "UPS" is "United Parcel Service". The postal service over here is the
    >>> "United States Postal Service" or "USPS".
    >>>
    >>> I would note that unless you were shipping a "Flash" memory stick, or
    >>> card via "UPS" so that Bowser wouldn't be troubled with having to scan a
    >>> print, it would be unlikely to arrive on time, what with air, rail and
    >>> road down for the best part of 48 hours. As a matter of fact a print
    >>> would probably have the same issues.
    >>> ...then we don't have Sunday delivery here for "USPS" or "UPS".
    >>>

    >> This one I was thinking of http://www.ups.com

    > Yup! "United Parcel Service".

    So the motto for everyone is "just in time" submit an hour before!

    Rob, Feb 10, 2013
  10. Rob

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 13:05:17 +1100, Rob <> wrote:
    : On 10/02/2013 1:02 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    : > On 2013-02-09 17:59:02 -0800, Rob <> said:
    : >
    : >> On 10/02/2013 12:44 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    : >>> On 2013-02-09 16:12:00 -0800, Rob <> said:
    : >>>
    : >>>> On 10/02/2013 9:50 AM, Savageduck wrote:
    : >>>>> On 2013-02-09 14:32:43 -0800, Rob <> said:
    : >>>>>
    : >>>>>> On 10/02/2013 12:58 AM, Savageduck wrote:
    : >>>>>>> On 2013-02-09 04:23:28 -0800, Robert Coe <> said:
    : >>>>>>>
    : >>>>>>>> On Sat, 09 Feb 2013 19:46:07 +1100, Rob
    : >>>>>>>> <>
    : >>>>>>>> wrote:
    : >>>>>>>
    : >>>>>>> << Le Snip >>
    : >>>>>>>>
[...]
    : >>>>>>
    : >>>>>> Of course UPS either way!
    : >>>>>
    : >>>>> My UPS doesn't give me 12-48 hours of power(30-45 minutes at best), or
    : >>>>> in the case of some of the folks recovering from Hurricane Sandy, 2
    : >>>>> weeks, but my Honda EU3000 generator does.
    : >>>>>
    : >>>>> A UPS is no guarantee that an ISP is going to be able to maintain
    : >>>>> service in times of harsh weather of the type currently being
    : >>>>> experienced in the North East. However, since Bowser has posted
    : >>>>> since I
    : >>>>> posed my question, I guess he is OK for now.
    : >>>>>
    : >>>>>
    : >>>>
    : >>>>
    : >>>> United Postal Service!
    : >>>
[...]

    A well entrenched SI tradition if there ever was one.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Feb 10, 2013
  11. Rob

    PeterN Guest

    On 2/9/2013 10:01 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
    > On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 13:05:17 +1100, Rob <> wrote:

    <snip>

    > :
    > : So the motto for everyone is "just in time" submit an hour before!
    >
    > A well entrenched SI tradition if there ever was one.
    >
    > Bob

    OMG

    I I broke with tradition. My submission went in yesterday.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Feb 10, 2013
  12. Rob

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 10:44:07 -0500, PeterN <>
    wrote:
    : On 2/9/2013 10:01 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
    : > On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 13:05:17 +1100, Rob <> wrote:
    :
    : <snip>
    :
    :
    : > :

    Robert Coe, Feb 10, 2013
  13. Rob

    wrote:
    : On 2/9/2013 10:01 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
    : > On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 13:05:17 +1100, Rob <> wrote:
    :
    : <snip>
    :
    :
    : > :
    : > : So the motto for everyone is "just in time" submit an hour before!
    : >
    : > A well entrenched SI tradition if there ever was one.
    : >
    : > Bob
    : >
    :
    :
    : OMG
    :
    : I I broke with tradition. My submission went in yesterday.

    So did ours. But only from fear of the blizzard and a concomitant power
    failure. Otherwise I'd be sitting here at my computer this afternoon (or late
    this evening), repeatedly converting our entries to JPEG, trying to stay under
    the 300Kb limit. Instead, I'm sitting here at my computer, wasting time on
    Usenet as a I cool down from a final session of freeing our cars from the snow
    the plow couldn't get.

    Snow doesn't belong here. It belongs in all those colored mountains (White,
    Green, etc.) up north. Global Warming, where is thy sting?

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Feb 10, 2013
  14. Rob

    PeterN Guest

    On 2/10/2013 3:35 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
    > On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 10:44:07 -0500, PeterN <>
    > wrote:
    > : On 2/9/2013 10:01 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
    > : > On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 13:05:17 +1100, Rob <> wrote:
    > :
    > : <snip>
    > :
    > :
    > : > :
    > : > : So the motto for everyone is "just in time" submit an hour before!
    > : >
    > : > A well entrenched SI tradition if there ever was one.
    > : >
    > : > Bob
    > : >
    > :
    > :
    > : OMG
    > :
    > : I I broke with tradition. My submission went in yesterday.
    >
    > So did ours. But only from fear of the blizzard and a concomitant power
    > failure. Otherwise I'd be sitting here at my computer this afternoon (or late
    > this evening), repeatedly converting our entries to JPEG, trying to stay under
    > the 300Kb limit. Instead, I'm sitting here at my computer, wasting time on
    > Usenet as a I cool down from a final session of freeing our cars from the snow
    > the plow couldn't get.

    I couldn't get motivated to shoot steeples. I tried, but didn't like
    any. So I went to the archives and found two.

    > Snow doesn't belong here. It belongs in all those colored mountains (White,
    > Green, etc.) up north. Global Warming, where is thy sting?
    >
    > Bob

    We live in a co-op, and car digging is part of our maintenance. They
    nicely dug out my car and cleared the sidewalks. However, they left the
    entrance covered with snow, and we couldn't open the front door. Had to
    wait until this morning.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Feb 10, 2013
  15. Rob

    Robert Coe Guest

    : > wrote:
    : > : On 2/9/2013 10:01 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
    : > : > On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 13:05:17 +1100, Rob <> wrote:
    : > :
    : > : <snip>
    : > :
    : > :
    : > : > :
    : > : > : So the motto for everyone is "just in time" submit an hour before!
    : > : >
[...]

    Do I misunderstand what a co-op is? I had thought they were those genormous
    high-rises you see coming in on Amtrak or the Major Deegan Expy, with parking
    garages underneath. I'd have hoped that you could ignore snow altogether. ;^)

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Feb 10, 2013
  16. Rob

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 13:27:55 -0800, Savageduck
    :
    : > wrote:
    : > : On 2/9/2013 10:01 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
    : > : > On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 13:05:17 +1100, Rob
    : > <> wrote:
    : > :
    : > : <snip>
    : > :
    : > :
    : > : > :
    : > : > : So the motto for everyone is "just in time" submit an hour before!
    : > : >
    : > : > A well entrenched SI tradition if there ever was one.
    : > : >
    : > : > Bob
    : > : >
    : > :
    : > :
    : > : OMG
    : > :
    : > : I I broke with tradition. My submission went in yesterday.
    : >
    : > So did ours. But only from fear of the blizzard and a concomitant power
    : > failure. Otherwise I'd be sitting here at my computer this afternoon (or late
    : > this evening), repeatedly converting our entries to JPEG, trying to stay under
    : > the 300Kb limit.
    :
    : You are aware that the 300Kb limit has been eased somewhat, given many
    : of the issues with some of the file sizes produced by the latest "fat"
    : resolution cameras.
    :
    : From the Rulz page:
    : "Image files should be saved to no more than 300kB. For highly detailed
    : images where compression is difficult, files may be up to 500 kB.
    : Please avoid this where possible.  The moderator will not resize or
    : rename photos. He's too damned lazy."

    Well, yeah, I tried that one month and got my knuckles rapped a right smart. I
    ended up hastily downsizing at least two of my oversized entries.

    : > Instead, I'm sitting here at my computer, wasting time on
    : > Usenet as a I cool down from a final session of freeing our cars from the snow
    : > the plow couldn't get.
    : >
    : > Snow doesn't belong here. It belongs in all those colored mountains (White,
    : > Green, etc.) up north. Global Warming, where is thy sting?
    :
    : This is the global warming sting. ;-)

    Bull. I say it's a backslide into global cooling. You Californians don't
    appreciate the downside of snow unless you don't ski, but nevertheless live up
    around Big Bear or the like. (A dangerous place to be just now, with that
    rouge ex-cop at large. You didn't know him, did you? You were in the CHP,
    IIRC.)

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Feb 10, 2013
  17. Rob

    PeterN Guest

    On 2/10/2013 5:19 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
    > On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 15:58:34 -0500, PeterN <>
    > wrote:
    > : On 2/10/2013 3:35 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
    > : > On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 10:44:07 -0500, PeterN <>
    > : > wrote:
    > : > : On 2/9/2013 10:01 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
    > : > : > On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 13:05:17 +1100, Rob <> wrote:
    > : > :
    > : > : <snip>
    > : > :
    > : > :
    > : > : > :
    > : > : > : So the motto for everyone is "just in time" submit an hour before!
    > : > : >
    > : > : > A well entrenched SI tradition if there ever was one.
    > : > : >
    > : > : > Bob
    > : > : >
    > : > :
    > : > :
    > : > : OMG
    > : > :
    > : > : I I broke with tradition. My submission went in yesterday.
    > : >
    > : > So did ours. But only from fear of the blizzard and a concomitant power
    > : > failure. Otherwise I'd be sitting here at my computer this afternoon (or late
    > : > this evening), repeatedly converting our entries to JPEG, trying to stay under
    > : > the 300Kb limit. Instead, I'm sitting here at my computer, wasting time on
    > : > Usenet as a I cool down from a final session of freeing our cars from the snow
    > : > the plow couldn't get.
    > :
    > : I couldn't get motivated to shoot steeples. I tried, but didn't like
    > : any. So I went to the archives and found two.
    > :
    > :
    > : >
    > : > Snow doesn't belong here. It belongs in all those colored mountains (White,
    > : > Green, etc.) up north. Global Warming, where is thy sting?
    > : >
    > : > Bob
    > : >
    > :
    > : We live in a co-op, and car digging is part of our maintenance. They
    > : nicely dug out my car and cleared the sidewalks. However, they left the
    > : entrance covered with snow, and we couldn't open the front door. Had to
    > : wait until this morning.
    >
    > Do I misunderstand what a co-op is? I had thought they were those genormous
    > high-rises you see coming in on Amtrak or the Major Deegan Expy, with parking
    > garages underneath. I'd have hoped that you could ignore snow altogether. ;^)

    Those are condos. Not to be confused with condoms.
    There are technical differences between co-ops and condos: the major one
    being that in a co=op, you own shares of the corporation, and are a
    tenant under a proprietary lease; While in a condo, you own the
    physical real estate, together with an undivided interest in the common
    realty. For all practical purposes though, that is a distinction without
    a difference.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Feb 10, 2013
  18. Rob

    Robert Coe Guest

    : > : > wrote:
    : > : > : On 2/9/2013 10:01 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
    : > : > : > On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 13:05:17 +1100, Rob <> wrote:
    : > : > :
    : > : > : <snip>
    : > : > :
    : > : > :
    : > : > : > :
    : > : > : > : So the motto for everyone is "just in time" submit an hour before!
    : > : > : >
[...]

    I understood the legal and technical difference. It's just that I was under
    the impression that co-ops were almost always high-rise buildings. And I guess
    the root of my thinking that is that co-ops seem to be almost unique to New
    York, while condos (a less intuitive form of ownership) now seem to be
    everywhere. (Someone will tell me, I suppose, that co-ops are everywhere too.
    Live a lot, learn a little.)

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Feb 11, 2013
  19. Rob

    Tony Cooper Guest

    <> wrote:

> [...]
    >> : nicely dug out my car and cleared the sidewalks. However, they left the
    >> : entrance covered with snow, and we couldn't open the front door. Had to
    >> : wait until this morning.
    >>
    >> Do I misunderstand what a co-op is? I had thought they were those genormous
    >> high-rises you see coming in on Amtrak or the Major Deegan Expy, with parking
    >> garages underneath. I'd have hoped that you could ignore snow altogether. ;^)
    >>

    >Those are condos. Not to be confused with condoms.
    >There are technical differences between co-ops and condos: the major one
    >being that in a co=op, you own shares of the corporation, and are a
    >tenant under a proprietary lease; While in a condo, you own the
    >physical real estate, together with an undivided interest in the common
    >realty. For all practical purposes though, that is a distinction without

    There are many co-ops and condos that are no larger than a 4-unit
    apartment building. If the entire building is sold to a corporation,
    the corporation can make the units co-op or condo or rental units.

    Back during the real estate boom, investors were buying small
    apartment buildings and turning them into condos. Not such a good
    investment now, though.

    Also, many business offices are in co-ops or condo units. Doctors are
    often the ones who go for this.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    Tony Cooper, Feb 11, 2013
  20. Rob

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 20:38:08 -0500, Robert Coe <> wrote:

> [...]
    >:
    >: Those are condos. Not to be confused with condoms.
    >: There are technical differences between co-ops and condos: the major one
    >: being that in a co=op, you own shares of the corporation, and are a
    >: tenant under a proprietary lease; While in a condo, you own the
    >: physical real estate, together with an undivided interest in the common
    >: realty. For all practical purposes though, that is a distinction without
    >: a difference.
    >
    >I understood the legal and technical difference. It's just that I was under
    >the impression that co-ops were almost always high-rise buildings. And I guess
    >the root of my thinking that is that co-ops seem to be almost unique to New
    >York, while condos (a less intuitive form of ownership) now seem to be
    >everywhere. (Someone will tell me, I suppose, that co-ops are everywhere too.

    There are over 1,200 co-ops in Palm Beach, Florida. However, they are
    not popular in the rest of the state. There are some state laws in
    Florida that make co-ops less attractive.
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    Tony Cooper, Feb 11, 2013