Re: [SI] Mandate reminder/update & new mandate!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Robert Coe, Apr 17, 2010.

  1. Robert Coe

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 09:12:32 -0400, Bowser <> wrote:
    : Just a reminder about the next mandate: Facescape. It's due May 16th,
    : so find those faces full of character and send some shots.
    :
    : http://www.pbase.com/shootin/facescape
    :
    : Next, the new mandate announcement: The Wallpaper Project. Here's what
    : this means: I use a few of my shots as wallpaper on my PC; we all
    : probably do. This mandate will challenge the shooter to produce the
    : best wallpaper in wide screen format so other users can download and
    : use the shot as wallpaper on their PC. All submissions must be 1920 x
    : 1200 pixels to fill a wide monitor. Shooters are limited to ONE
    : submission for this mandate only, so make your wallpaper a good one,
    : and make sure it looks good at large sizes (like a 24" monitor). You
    : may include your "signature" on the photo, as well. Lastly, the 300K
    : file size limit is waived for this mandate.
    :
    : http://www.pbase.com/shootin/wallpaper
    :
    : Flame on!

    It's an interesting idea, but I wonder if events haven't passed it by. In
    Windows 7 you can have a slide show as your background, and they finally allow
    you to specify that the picture must fit within your screen dimensions while
    maintaining its aspect ratio. The practical effect is that some shots fill the
    screen left-to-right and some fill it top-to-bottom, but pictures that fill a
    1920 x 1200 screen exactly are rare (since no camera of which I'm aware uses
    the 5x3 aspect ratio). I've cropped a few shots to 5x3, but usually to rescue
    a shot that would have been discarded otherwise. Most of my (and my wife's)
    best shots are 3x2, which I'll bet is true for most SI submitters. (Is 1920 x
    1200 common? My Lenovo W500 uses it, but I don't think I've ever seen another
    display that does.)

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Apr 17, 2010

  2. Robert Coe

    Robert Coe Guest

    :
    : >:
    : >: http://www.pbase.com/shootin/wallpaper
    : >:
    : >: Flame on!
    : >
[...]
    : Monitors that use a 16:10 aspect ration are the norm now.

    I hadn't realized that. I've only ever used one wide-screen monitor, and
    that's built into a laptop. At work I use only pairs of 5x4 monitors.

    : Maybe not all use the full 1920 x 1200, but the aspect ration is the same,
    : so if you have a smaller screen, the pic will rez down but retain its
    : proportions. My HP 2475w is a 24" S-IPS monitor, and presents a very
    : nice 1920 x 1200 image. Even good P&S cams can produce a decent shot
    : at that resolution.

    Yeah, if you happen to plan for the 8x5 aspect ratio when you take the
    picture. It isn't native to any camera, P&S or DSLR, as far as I know.

    The point I was circling, but never really got around to making, is that in
    Windows 7 the incentive to carefully craft a wallpaper picture that exactly
    matches the monitor is diminished, for two reasons: 1) You can now specify
    that the background picture fit within the available space without being
    stretched or truncated, and 2) the background can be a slideshow. In a
    slideshow you're apt to have pictures of various aspect ratios, and you can
    include them all without worrying that they'll get mangled if their aspect
    ratios don't match that of the display. I used to be a stickler for matching
    the background picture to the display; now that the computers I use regularly
    at work are Windows 7, I don't bother.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Apr 17, 2010

  3. John McWilliams, Apr 21, 2010
  4. Savageduck wrote:

    > Since my photo work flow is set using my bizzare system;
    > 1. RAW copied to outboard Hard drive in folder labelled with shoot date,
    > or other identifier.
    > 2. Imported to Lightroom on MacBook Pro & converted to DNG.
    > 3. Post processing in Lightroom, and/or CS4 via Lightroom.
    > 4. JPEG output from LR exported to desktop folder, or saved from CS4 to
    > the same folder.
    > 5. JPEGS sorted into labelled sub-folders. I set the color field for the
    > folder so that it isn't too harsh.

    Interesting! Here's my work flow:

    1. RAW imported directly into Lightroom. (my CF cards are the temp backup)
    2. Immediate culling of dups and near dups, OoF, duds. Rough adjustments
    if needed, all in LR.
    3. If for commercial website, final edits, export to JPEG, one folder,
    upload.
    3a. If for own use only, near final edits, export to JPEG in 16:9
    cropped format, perfect for HD tv. - via Flash Drive or maybe in future
    via iPhoto.
    4. Backup via TimeMachine

    I usually rename the images [via LR] so I can pretty much tell what they
    are in the Finder; same with folders that are maintained via Lightroom.

    --
    john mcwilliams

    John McWilliams, Apr 21, 2010
  5. Robert Coe

    Peter Guest

    "John McWilliams" <> wrote in message
    > Savageduck wrote:
    >>
    >> Since my photo work flow is set using my bizzare system;
    >> 1. RAW copied to outboard Hard drive in folder labelled with shoot date,
    >> or other identifier.
    >> 2. Imported to Lightroom on MacBook Pro & converted to DNG.
    >> 3. Post processing in Lightroom, and/or CS4 via Lightroom.
    >> 4. JPEG output from LR exported to desktop folder, or saved from CS4 to
    >> the same folder.
    >> 5. JPEGS sorted into labelled sub-folders. I set the color field for the
    >> folder so that it isn't too harsh.

    > Interesting! Here's my work flow:
    >
    > 1. RAW imported directly into Lightroom. (my CF cards are the temp backup)
    > 2. Immediate culling of dups and near dups, OoF, duds. Rough adjustments
    > if needed, all in LR.
    > 3. If for commercial website, final edits, export to JPEG, one folder,
    > upload.
    > 3a. If for own use only, near final edits, export to JPEG in 16:9 cropped
    > format, perfect for HD tv. - via Flash Drive or maybe in future via
    > iPhoto.
    > 4. Backup via TimeMachine
    >
    > I usually rename the images [via LR] so I can pretty much tell what they
    > are in the Finder; same with folders that are maintained via Lightroom.

    FWIIW Here's mine.

    1. Download from CF Card using Bridge, use a dated and appropriately named
    folder.
    2. Cull
    3. Cull
    4. Backup to USB drive.
    5. Stare through collection and work on the shots that tell me "hey I'm
    next."

    --
    Peter

    Peter, Apr 21, 2010
  6. Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2010-04-21 07:50:37 -0700, John McWilliams <> said:
    >
    >> George Kerby wrote:
    >>>

    >>> On 4/17/10 7:26 PM, in article
    >>> 2010041717261354666-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, "Savageduck"

    >>> Thanks for the input. Nice capture of El Capitan, BTW.
    >>>

    >> Bu-bu-bu-but that's Half Dome!

    > OK, Here is my pseudo Adamsesque Vally shot from tunnel veiw, with El
    > Cap, Bridal Veil Falls, & Halfdome in shot.
    >
    > http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/YValley-DSC0964bww.jpg

    Sweet! However, it's "Half Dome", and "Bridal Veil Fall". There is a
    "Bridalveil Fall" at Niagara Falls, though.
    While in pedantic mode, Yosemite Falls has two components: An "Upper
    Yosemite Fall" and a "Lower Yosemite Fall".....

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Apr 21, 2010
  7. Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2010-04-21 09:10:36 -0700, John McWilliams <> said:
    >
    >> Savageduck wrote:

    >>> OK, Here is my pseudo Adamsesque Vally shot from tunnel veiw, with El
    >>> Cap, Bridal Veil Falls, & Halfdome in shot.
    >>>
    >>> http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/YValley-DSC0964bww.jpg

    >> Sweet! However, it's "Half Dome", and "Bridal Veil Fall". There is a
    >> "Bridalveil Fall" at Niagara Falls, though.
    >> While in pedantic mode, Yosemite Falls has two components: An "Upper
    >> Yosemite Fall" and a "Lower Yosemite Fall".....

    > OK, I'll do what I can to out pedant you. Yosemite actually has "Three"
    > sections upper falls, middle cascade, and lower falls.
    > My shot of Yosemite Falls from Glacier Point, showing all three sections;
    > http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/YFalls-DSC0944w.jpg
    >
    > and
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yosemite_Falls

    Heh! I'll grant you three sections, but still, it's Upper Yosemite Fall
    and Lower Yosemite Fall. Wiki is wrong to put a plural on these singular
    drops. The over all is, of course, "Yosemite Falls", which includes The
    Cascade. Or the cascade, depending.....

    Another fine shot.

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Apr 21, 2010
  8. Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2010-04-21 08:00:00 -0700, John McWilliams <> said:
    >
    >> Savageduck wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Since my photo work flow is set using my bizzare system;
    >>> 1. RAW copied to outboard Hard drive in folder labelled with shoot
    >>> date, or other identifier.
    >>> 2. Imported to Lightroom on MacBook Pro & converted to DNG.
    >>> 3. Post processing in Lightroom, and/or CS4 via Lightroom.
    >>> 4. JPEG output from LR exported to desktop folder, or saved from CS4
    >>> to the same folder.
    >>> 5. JPEGS sorted into labelled sub-folders. I set the color field for
    >>> the folder so that it isn't too harsh.

    >> Interesting! Here's my work flow:
    >>
    >> 1. RAW imported directly into Lightroom. (my CF cards are the temp
    >> backup)

    > Yup. That is my quick variation
    >
    >> 2. Immediate culling of dups and near dups, OoF, duds. Rough
    >> adjustments if needed, all in LR.

    > Yup.
    >
    >> 3. If for commercial website, final edits, export to JPEG, one folder,
    >> upload.
    >> 3a. If for own use only, near final edits, export to JPEG in 16:9
    >> cropped format, perfect for HD tv. - via Flash Drive or maybe in
    >> future via iPhoto.

    > I am strictly a hobbyist, so I do everything for myself, family, or
    > friends, no Pro work.
    >
    >> 4. Backup via TimeMachine

    > LR DNR files are backed up via TimeMachine. NEFs are on 2 redundant hard
    > drives.
    >>
    >> I usually rename the images [via LR] so I can pretty much tell what
    >> they are in the Finder; same with folders that are maintained via
    >> Lightroom.

    > Yup.

    Nice! Our major diff. seems to be I don't keep two extra copies. Oh, and
    I usually convert to DNG but only after most editing (never say it's
    done!) has been finished. That helps me see at a glance what's done, and
    what's not.

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Apr 21, 2010
  9. Robert Coe

    Peter Guest

    > On 2010-04-21 07:50:37 -0700, John McWilliams <> said:
    >
    >> George Kerby wrote:
    >>>

    >>> On 4/17/10 7:26 PM, in article
    >>> 2010041717261354666-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, "Savageduck"

    >>> Thanks for the input. Nice capture of El Capitan, BTW.
    >>>

    >> Bu-bu-bu-but that's Half Dome!

    > OK, Here is my pseudo Adamsesque Vally shot from tunnel veiw, with El Cap,
    > Bridal Veil Falls, & Halfdome in shot.
    >
    > http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/YValley-DSC0964bww.jpg

    Great shot. Wish I had taken it. I can't think of anything to improve it,
    without nitpicking.

    OK One little nit. I would like to have seen the upper corners a tad darker,
    especially on the left.

    --
    Peter

    Peter, Apr 21, 2010
  10. Robert Coe

    Ken Walls Guest

    On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 16:05:24 -0500, Allen <> wrote:

    >Peter wrote:
    >> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message

    >>> OK, Here is my pseudo Adamsesque Vally shot from tunnel veiw, with El
    >>> Cap, Bridal Veil Falls, & Halfdome in shot.
    >>>
    >>> http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/YValley-DSC0964bww.jpg
    >>>

    >> Great shot. Wish I had taken it. I can't think of anything to improve
    >> it, without nitpicking.
    >>
    >> OK One little nit. I would like to have seen the upper corners a tad
    >> darker, especially on the left.
    >>

    >Oh, go ahead, Play like you're John McWilliams, except be more accurate
    >in your nitpicking.
    >Allen

    It's amazing.

    How you can take a perfectly majestic scene that will provide a nice photo
    for any snapshooter with the most basic of dime-store cameras, without them
    even trying to make it look good, and somehow you still managed to ruin it
    by unnaturally tilting it and turning it into a muddy mess with blown-out
    highlights. Even a 4 year old would have come back with something
    worthwhile by using a disposable camera.

    Ken Walls, Apr 22, 2010
  11. Robert Coe

    Paul Furman Guest

    John McWilliams wrote:
    > Savageduck wrote:

    >>> Interesting! Here's my work flow:
    >>>
    >>> 1. RAW imported directly into Lightroom. (my CF cards are the temp
    >>> backup)

    >> Yup. That is my quick variation
    >>
    >>> 2. Immediate culling of dups and near dups, OoF, duds. Rough
    >>> adjustments if needed, all in LR.

    >> Yup.
    >>
    >>> 3. If for commercial website, final edits, export to JPEG, one
    >>> folder, upload.
    >>> 3a. If for own use only, near final edits, export to JPEG in 16:9
    >>> cropped format, perfect for HD tv. - via Flash Drive or maybe in
    >>> future via iPhoto.

    >> I am strictly a hobbyist, so I do everything for myself, family, or
    >> friends, no Pro work.
    >>
    >>> 4. Backup via TimeMachine

    >> LR DNR files are backed up via TimeMachine. NEFs are on 2 redundant
    >> hard drives.
    >>>
    >>> I usually rename the images [via LR] so I can pretty much tell what
    >>> they are in the Finder; same with folders that are maintained via
    >>> Lightroom.

    >> Yup.

    > Nice! Our major diff. seems to be I don't keep two extra copies. Oh, and
    > I usually convert to DNG but only after most editing (never say it's
    > done!) has been finished. That helps me see at a glance what's done, and
    > what's not.

    I convert to DNG while importing with Lightroom (Peter I think it was,
    dearly tempted me to save the original NEF raws for use with Nikon
    Capture but it didn't quite stick). I may regret that but oh well.

    Cull into seconds (sometimes thirds) folders while making adjustments.

    'Burn' jpegs and move DNGs and pano/stack source material to 'orig'
    folder & move everything but the final jpegs to another hard drive so I
    can fit as many final shots as possible on my one working laptop drive.
    Yeah this is a mess but I can't throw anything away except the most
    hideous errors and can't possibly fit all that crap on my working drive.

    I annotate rather meticulously in LR using the title and caption fields.
    Export web versions & upload to flickr, which uses that annotation, then
    I end up making corrections & updates on flickr so the LR data ends up
    half-assed. Flickr is easy to search though. I paste the folder name
    with it's date and location (2010-04-22-nursey/) into the caption with
    LR so easy to hunt down originals later.

    Then, I use many plant shots on my nursery web site for showing the
    plants, which takes a couple more sizes & crops & another criteria for
    cropping. Sometimes I'll just grab those off flickr since they will be
    only 440 or 166 pixels max. Often I'll use Irfanview for that. At this
    point, I would like to be able to publish a print version of the nursery
    web site but it would require a hell of a lot of work to go back to the
    originals and get larger versions <sigh>.

    Months or years later, I'm ready to re-assess and chose one or a few
    real keepers (or none) from each shoot. I may go back & grab the raw
    files for those to keep handy and while re-working and making prints.

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, Apr 23, 2010
  12. Paul Furman wrote:
    > John McWilliams wrote:
    >> Savageduck wrote:

    >>> Yup. That is my quick variation

    >>> Yup.

    >>> I am strictly a hobbyist, so I do everything for myself, family, or
    >>> friends, no Pro work.

    >>> LR DNR files are backed up via TimeMachine. NEFs are on 2 redundant
    >>> hard drives.

    >>> Yup.

    >> Nice! Our major diff. seems to be I don't keep two extra copies. Oh,
    >> and I usually convert to DNG but only after most editing (never say
    >> it's done!) has been finished. That helps me see at a glance what's
    >> done, and what's not.

    > I convert to DNG while importing with Lightroom (Peter I think it was,
    > dearly tempted me to save the original NEF raws for use with Nikon
    > Capture but it didn't quite stick). I may regret that but oh well.
    >
    > Cull into seconds (sometimes thirds) folders while making adjustments.
    >
    > 'Burn' jpegs and move DNGs and pano/stack source material to 'orig'
    > folder & move everything but the final jpegs to another hard drive so I
    > can fit as many final shots as possible on my one working laptop drive.
    > Yeah this is a mess but I can't throw anything away except the most
    > hideous errors and can't possibly fit all that crap on my working drive.

    With Lightroom, as many use it, there's no need to move into or out of
    folders: There are ratings from 0-5, and several colors to distinguish,
    plus collections, plus keywords, any and all of which can be used to
    obviate moving the negatives, be they DNG or RAW.

    I am happy to throw away a perfectly good shot that's 99% duplicated by
    a nearby one.

    --
    john mcwilliams

    John McWilliams, Apr 23, 2010
  13. Alan Browne wrote:
    > On 10-04-23 0:10 , Paul Furman wrote:
    >
    >> I convert to DNG while importing with Lightroom (Peter I think it was,
    >> dearly tempted me to save the original NEF raws for use with Nikon
    >> Capture but it didn't quite stick). I may regret that but oh well.

    > I do the same (with Bridge): convert to DNG on upload, backup, delete
    > the card. Also reduces the the file size from ~33 MB down to 15 - 18 MB.

    That's amazing, Alan! The average savings in space between RAW and its
    DNG conversion, at least for Canons and Nikons, is between 10 and 20%.

    --
    john mcwilliams

    John McWilliams, Apr 23, 2010
  14. Robert Coe

    Paul Furman Guest

    John McWilliams wrote:
    > Paul Furman wrote:
    >> John McWilliams wrote:

    >>> Nice! Our major diff. seems to be I don't keep two extra copies. Oh,
    >>> and I usually convert to DNG but only after most editing (never say
    >>> it's done!) has been finished. That helps me see at a glance what's
    >>> done, and what's not.

    >> I convert to DNG while importing with Lightroom (Peter I think it was,
    >> dearly tempted me to save the original NEF raws for use with Nikon
    >> Capture but it didn't quite stick). I may regret that but oh well.
    >>
    >> Cull into seconds (sometimes thirds) folders while making adjustments.
    >>
    >> 'Burn' jpegs and move DNGs and pano/stack source material to 'orig'
    >> folder & move everything but the final jpegs to another hard drive so
    >> I can fit as many final shots as possible on my one working laptop
    >> drive. Yeah this is a mess but I can't throw anything away except the
    >> most hideous errors and can't possibly fit all that crap on my working
    >> drive.

    > With Lightroom, as many use it, there's no need to move into or out of
    > folders: There are ratings from 0-5, and several colors to distinguish,
    > plus collections, plus keywords, any and all of which can be used to
    > obviate moving the negatives, be they DNG or RAW.

    I use ratings to sort, then put them on another drive to allow more
    select pictures on my working drive. I could delete many but the work in
    deciding which is too much and I don't want to delete all but the top picks.

    > I am happy to throw away a perfectly good shot that's 99% duplicated by
    > a nearby one.

    I suppose that's sensible but I move them instead of deleting.

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, Apr 24, 2010