Re: [SI] Mandate date change; now due Sept 12, 2011.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by tony cooper, Aug 5, 2011.

  1. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Wed, 03 Aug 2011 19:32:40 -0400, Bowser <> wrote:

    >Due to thousands of requests, the SI dictator has agreed to push the
    >date back a week to accommodate the holiday (in the US, anyway) weekend.
    >The new due date for the Dawn or Dusk mandate is September 12, 2011.
    >
    >http://www.pbase.com/shootin/duskdawn
    >
    >The Shoot-In is a monthly gallery created by those who choose to
    >participate. No prized, points, or anything else but a few comments.
    >Give it a shot!
    >
    >For more info:
    >
    >http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage


    If you're going to go around accommodating people, please allow photos
    taken between 10:00AM and 6:00PM. I really don't like getting up
    early, and the heavy rains have brought out the mosquitos in the late
    afternoon.


    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
     
    tony cooper, Aug 5, 2011
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. tony cooper

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Fri, 05 Aug 2011 09:42:08 -0400, Bowser <> wrote:
    : On 8/4/2011 10:18 PM, tony cooper wrote:
    : > On Wed, 03 Aug 2011 19:32:40 -0400, Bowser<> wrote:
    : >
    : >> Due to thousands of requests, the SI dictator has agreed to push the
    : >> date back a week to accommodate the holiday (in the US, anyway) weekend.
    : >> The new due date for the Dawn or Dusk mandate is September 12, 2011.
    : >>
    : >> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/duskdawn
    : >>
    : >> The Shoot-In is a monthly gallery created by those who choose to
    : >> participate. No prized, points, or anything else but a few comments.
    : >> Give it a shot!
    : >>
    : >> For more info:
    : >>
    : >> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage
    : >
    : > If you're going to go around accommodating people, please allow photos
    : > taken between 10:00AM and 6:00PM. I really don't like getting up
    : > early, and the heavy rains have brought out the mosquitos in the late
    : > afternoon.
    : >
    :
    : If you can work in some dawn or dusk shots during those hours, be my
    : guest. I guess you live way up north or way down south.

    That would have to be "way down south". This time of year, those way up north
    will have a bigger problem than Tony has. Surely you've heard of the "Land of
    the Midnight Sun". ;^)

    Bob
     
    Robert Coe, Aug 5, 2011
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. tony cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 8/4/2011 10:18 PM, tony cooper wrote:
    > On Wed, 03 Aug 2011 19:32:40 -0400, Bowser<> wrote:
    >
    >> Due to thousands of requests, the SI dictator has agreed to push the
    >> date back a week to accommodate the holiday (in the US, anyway) weekend.
    >> The new due date for the Dawn or Dusk mandate is September 12, 2011.
    >>
    >> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/duskdawn
    >>
    >> The Shoot-In is a monthly gallery created by those who choose to
    >> participate. No prized, points, or anything else but a few comments.
    >> Give it a shot!
    >>
    >> For more info:
    >>
    >> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage

    >
    > If you're going to go around accommodating people, please allow photos
    > taken between 10:00AM and 6:00PM. I really don't like getting up
    > early, and the heavy rains have brought out the mosquitos in the late
    > afternoon.
    >
    >



    A sheet of Bounce works for me as an insect repellant, for a limited time.

    --
    Peter
     
    PeterN, Aug 5, 2011
    #3
  4. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Fri, 05 Aug 2011 10:36:39 -0400, PeterN
    <> wrote:

    >On 8/4/2011 10:18 PM, tony cooper wrote:
    >> On Wed, 03 Aug 2011 19:32:40 -0400, Bowser<> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Due to thousands of requests, the SI dictator has agreed to push the
    >>> date back a week to accommodate the holiday (in the US, anyway) weekend.
    >>> The new due date for the Dawn or Dusk mandate is September 12, 2011.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/duskdawn
    >>>
    >>> The Shoot-In is a monthly gallery created by those who choose to
    >>> participate. No prized, points, or anything else but a few comments.
    >>> Give it a shot!
    >>>
    >>> For more info:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage

    >>
    >> If you're going to go around accommodating people, please allow photos
    >> taken between 10:00AM and 6:00PM. I really don't like getting up
    >> early, and the heavy rains have brought out the mosquitos in the late
    >> afternoon.

    >
    >A sheet of Bounce works for me as an insect repellant, for a limited time.


    It's a bit different for me. I am highly reactive to insect bites. A
    mosquito bite in a soft tissue area swells to the size of a large
    marble that lasts for almost a week. I have one like that on the back
    of my thigh now. Hourly applications of Benadryl Gel help.

    If my wife is bitten, she gets a red spot that goes away in a day or
    two.

    Insect repellents don't seem to do me much good.


    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
     
    tony cooper, Aug 5, 2011
    #4
  5. tony cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 8/5/2011 11:10 AM, tony cooper wrote:
    > On Fri, 05 Aug 2011 10:36:39 -0400, PeterN
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 8/4/2011 10:18 PM, tony cooper wrote:
    >>> On Wed, 03 Aug 2011 19:32:40 -0400, Bowser<> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Due to thousands of requests, the SI dictator has agreed to push the
    >>>> date back a week to accommodate the holiday (in the US, anyway) weekend.
    >>>> The new due date for the Dawn or Dusk mandate is September 12, 2011.
    >>>>
    >>>> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/duskdawn
    >>>>
    >>>> The Shoot-In is a monthly gallery created by those who choose to
    >>>> participate. No prized, points, or anything else but a few comments.
    >>>> Give it a shot!
    >>>>
    >>>> For more info:
    >>>>
    >>>> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage
    >>>
    >>> If you're going to go around accommodating people, please allow photos
    >>> taken between 10:00AM and 6:00PM. I really don't like getting up
    >>> early, and the heavy rains have brought out the mosquitos in the late
    >>> afternoon.

    >>
    >> A sheet of Bounce works for me as an insect repellant, for a limited time.

    >
    > It's a bit different for me. I am highly reactive to insect bites. A
    > mosquito bite in a soft tissue area swells to the size of a large
    > marble that lasts for almost a week. I have one like that on the back
    > of my thigh now. Hourly applications of Benadryl Gel help.


    That's a real problem where you live.

    >
    > If my wife is bitten, she gets a red spot that goes away in a day or
    > two.


    My wife is very sensitive to bites. With her it's not "if," it's "when."

    >
    > Insect repellents don't seem to do me much good.
    >
    >

    A Bounce dryer sheet is one of those things that may be like chicken
    soup. Not sure it always works, but it can't hurt.

    --
    Peter
     
    PeterN, Aug 5, 2011
    #5
  6. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Fri, 5 Aug 2011 10:04:13 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2011-08-05 08:10:26 -0700, tony cooper <> said:
    >
    >> On Fri, 05 Aug 2011 10:36:39 -0400, PeterN
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 8/4/2011 10:18 PM, tony cooper wrote:
    >>>> On Wed, 03 Aug 2011 19:32:40 -0400, Bowser<> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> Due to thousands of requests, the SI dictator has agreed to push the
    >>>>> date back a week to accommodate the holiday (in the US, anyway) weekend.
    >>>>> The new due date for the Dawn or Dusk mandate is September 12, 2011.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/duskdawn
    >>>>>
    >>>>> The Shoot-In is a monthly gallery created by those who choose to
    >>>>> participate. No prized, points, or anything else but a few comments.
    >>>>> Give it a shot!
    >>>>>
    >>>>> For more info:
    >>>>>
    >>>>> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage
    >>>>
    >>>> If you're going to go around accommodating people, please allow photos
    >>>> taken between 10:00AM and 6:00PM. I really don't like getting up
    >>>> early, and the heavy rains have brought out the mosquitos in the late
    >>>> afternoon.
    >>>
    >>> A sheet of Bounce works for me as an insect repellant, for a limited time.

    >>
    >> It's a bit different for me. I am highly reactive to insect bites. A
    >> mosquito bite in a soft tissue area swells to the size of a large
    >> marble that lasts for almost a week. I have one like that on the back
    >> of my thigh now. Hourly applications of Benadryl Gel help.

    >
    >Antihistamines like Benadryl seldom work well after the fact. They can
    >also cause tissue sensitizing problems leading to problematic reactions.
    >It seems you need a topical anti-inflammatory steroid ointment/cream
    >such as betamethasone or triamcinolone, or even a steroid/cortisone
    >shot, or tablets.
    >


    I can only tell you what works by experience...long experience in this
    case. Benadryl Gel (a topical) eases the discomfort if applied
    hourly. When the bite is in an area where there is little soft
    tissue, it doesn't seem to help as much as when the bite is in an area
    of soft tissue.

    A bite on the front lower leg is not as painful and doesn't swell as
    much. Benadryl Gel doesn't help that much. A bite on the back of the
    lower leg swells, but Benadryl Gel helps. The little bastards always
    get me in the soft tissue areas, though.

    Worst place is bites on the hand or fingers. Just enough soft tissue
    to cause swelling, and - for some reason - the most painful. Face is
    bad, too.

    Fire ant bites require a trip to the doctor and a shot. Fire Coral
    (touched when diving) requires multiple shots. If stung by a wasp,
    hornet, or bee, I'd head for the ER and sit in the parking lot. I've
    been warned that anaphylactic shock may occur, but it's never
    happened.

    We have an anaphylactic shock kit around the house somewhere. My wife
    (a B.S.N.) knows where it is. I hope she's home if I get stung by
    something major.


    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
     
    tony cooper, Aug 5, 2011
    #6
  7. tony cooper

    John Turco Guest

    tony cooper wrote:
    >
    > > On Wed, 03 Aug 2011 19:32:40 -0400, Bowser <> wrote:
    > >
    > > Due to thousands of requests, the SI dictator has agreed to push the
    > > date back a week to accommodate the holiday (in the US, anyway) weekend.
    > > The new due date for the Dawn or Dusk mandate is September 12, 2011.
    > >
    > > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/duskdawn
    > >
    > > The Shoot-In is a monthly gallery created by those who choose to
    > > participate. No prized, points, or anything else but a few comments.
    > > Give it a shot!
    > >
    > > For more info:
    > >
    > > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage

    >
    > If you're going to go around accommodating people, please allow photos
    > taken between 10:00AM and 6:00PM. I really don't like getting up early,
    > and the heavy rains have brought out the mosquitos in the late afternoon.



    Which has the worse sting ("mosquitos" or "mosquitoes"), Señor Cooper?

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    Marie's Musings <http://fairiesandtails.blogspot.com>
     
    John Turco, Aug 18, 2011
    #7
  8. tony cooper

    John Turco Guest

    Savageduck wrote:
    >
    > > On 2011-08-05 08:10:26 -0700, tony cooper <>
    > > said:
    > >
    > >> Savageduck wrote:


    <edited for brevity>

    > >> A sheet of Bounce works for me as an insect repellant, for a limited
    > >> time.

    > >
    > > It's a bit different for me. I am highly reactive to insect bites. A
    > > mosquito bite in a soft tissue area swells to the size of a large marble
    > > that lasts for almost a week. I have one like that on the back of my
    > > thigh now. Hourly applications of Benadryl Gel help.

    >
    > Antihistamines like Benadryl seldom work well after the fact. They can
    > also cause tissue sensitizing problems leading to problematic reactions.
    > It seems you need a topical anti-inflammatory steroid ointment/cream
    > such as betamethasone or triamcinolone, or even a steroid/cortisone
    > shot, or tablets.


    <edited>

    Did they teach you all of that medical stuff, at the police academy?

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    Marie's Musings <http://fairiesandtails.blogspot.com>
     
    John Turco, Aug 18, 2011
    #8
  9. tony cooper

    John Turco Guest

    tony cooper wrote:
    >
    > >> tony cooper wrote:
    > >>
    > >>> On Fri, 5 Aug 2011 10:04:13 -0700, Savageduck wrote:


    <edited for brevity>

    > >>> A sheet of Bounce works for me as an insect repellant, for a limited
    > >>> time.
    > >>
    > >> It's a bit different for me. I am highly reactive to insect bites.
    > >> A mosquito bite in a soft tissue area swells to the size of a large
    > >> marble that lasts for almost a week. I have one like that on the
    > >> back of my thigh now. Hourly applications of Benadryl Gel help.


    <edited>

    > A bite on the front lower leg is not as painful and doesn't swell as
    > much. Benadryl Gel doesn't help that much. A bite on the back of the
    > lower leg swells, but Benadryl Gel helps. The little bastards always
    > get me in the soft tissue areas, though.
    >
    > Worst place is bites on the hand or fingers. Just enough soft tissue
    > to cause swelling, and - for some reason - the most painful. Face is
    > bad, too.
    >
    > Fire ant bites require a trip to the doctor and a shot. Fire Coral
    > (touched when diving) requires multiple shots. If stung by a wasp,
    > hornet, or bee, I'd head for the ER and sit in the parking lot. I've
    > been warned that anaphylactic shock may occur, but it's never happened.


    <edited>

    Have you ever pondered moving to a more Tony Cooper-friendly state?
    (Florida sounds somwhat hellish, for you.)

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    Marie's Musings <http://fairiesandtails.blogspot.com>
     
    John Turco, Aug 18, 2011
    #9
  10. tony cooper

    John Turco Guest

    Savageduck wrote:
    >
    > > On 2011-08-18 15:30:05 -0700, John Turco <> said:
    > >
    > >> Savageduck wrote:
    > >>
    > >>> On 2011-08-05 08:10:26 -0700, tony cooper <>
    > >>> said:
    > >>>
    > >>>> Savageduck wrote:

    > >
    > > <edited for brevity>
    > >
    > >>>> A sheet of Bounce works for me as an insect repellant, for a limited
    > >>>> time.
    > >>>
    > >>> It's a bit different for me. I am highly reactive to insect bites. A
    > >>> mosquito bite in a soft tissue area swells to the size of a large marble
    > >>> that lasts for almost a week. I have one like that on the back of my
    > >>> thigh now. Hourly applications of Benadryl Gel help.
    > >>
    > >> Antihistamines like Benadryl seldom work well after the fact. They can
    > >> also cause tissue sensitizing problems leading to problematic reactions.
    > >> It seems you need a topical anti-inflammatory steroid ointment/cream
    > >> such as betamethasone or triamcinolone, or even a steroid/cortisone
    > >> shot, or tablets.

    > >
    > > <edited>
    > >
    > > Did they teach you all of that medical stuff, at the police academy?

    >
    > I had a life in another industry before Law enforcement came along. I
    > am 62 and I had a 25 year LE career with California.
    >
    > My formal education was in physics, chemistry, pharmacology, anatomy &
    > physiology, toxicology, and microbiology. All of those disciplines
    > served me well in what I was tasked with in LE.


    Intriguing career move, and a somewhat tardy one. An older brother and
    his son (my nephew) were both in their mid-20's, when they joined the
    Omaha Police Department (in Nebraska).

    [Happened in the late 1960's and early 1990's, respectively, without
    your collegiate background.]

    > I am very familiar with several of the New Jersey pharmaceutical &
    > chemical giants, particularly Schering-Plough, Cyanamid, & Lederle
    > Laboratories.
    >
    > Schering is a major antihistamine developer (Claritin, Clarinex),
    > and > anti-inflamatory steroids.


    It's >illegal< "pharmaceutical & chemical" outfits that concerned
    you, back in your heyday, eh?

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    Marie's Musings <http://fairiesandtails.blogspot.com>
     
    John Turco, Aug 26, 2011
    #10
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. tony cooper

    Re: [SI] Night Shots date change! Now due 12/23/10

    tony cooper, Dec 12, 2010, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    29
    Views:
    656
    John Turco
    Jan 12, 2011
  2. Peter N

    Re: [SI] DATE CHANGE: "M" now due March 4th, 2011

    Peter N, Feb 1, 2011, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    351
  3. Robert Coe
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    408
    Robert Coe
    Jun 26, 2011
  4. Robert Coe

    Re: [SI] Mandate date change; now due Sept 12, 2011.

    Robert Coe, Aug 4, 2011, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    383
    John Turco
    Aug 6, 2011
  5. Robert Coe

    Re: [SI] Mandate date change; now due Sept 12, 2011.

    Robert Coe, Aug 4, 2011, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    277
    PeterN
    Aug 4, 2011
Loading...

Share This Page