Re: [SI] Macro/Closeup - Some comments

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Andrew Reilly, May 30, 2012.

  1. On Tue, 29 May 2012 19:17:04 -0700, Savageduck wrote:

    > On 2012-05-29 17:21:36 -0700, SI Committee
    > <> said:
    >
    >> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/macrocloseup

    > OK!

    Indeed! Many photos here, so I'm afraid that my comments will probably
    wind up brief-ish, or I'll be here all night...

    Tim Conway:
    Macro-01: I liked the colour and the detail, was a little uncomfortable
    about the effect of the uneven lighting on the metallic lettering to the
    left, and the slightly-out-of-focus U.
    Macro-02: There seems to be an odd thing going on with the hard edge at
    the junction between the top of the strawberries and the white plate, but
    I suppose that could be a coding artifact. I can see detail in the cut
    slice of the one on the right, but it still seems a bit out of focus.
    Really sharp knife leaving too-smooth a surface?
    Macro-03: This one doesn't seem quite right: dull colours or something.
    Old film?

    Savageduck:
    MacroCloseup-01: Lovely detail, colour and saturation. I like the scuff-
    marks on the chrome: stops the whole thing from looking like a CGI.
    MacroCloseup-02: Nice all around, and great look to the chrome. If you'd
    been a bit more straight-on to the badge, the far edge might not be
    drifting out of your DOF.
    MacroCloseup-03: Great character, but still clearly looked-after. All
    good with the framing and lighting, too.

    Richard Anderson:
    Fungi on Gravestone: Cool colour, and interesting texture. Lighting
    looks a little harsh. Flash?

    Bowser:
    Macro-01: Very nice detail and separation from the background.
    Macro-02: I like this, but it feels like two different photos that don't
    quite go together. The top half has interesting texture and that one
    crack, and the bottom half has that great hole, rust bubbles and the
    mystery of the inside, but it feels a bit odd as a whole. Maybe I just
    need to see it on a larger monitor.
    Macro-03: I like everything about this one. One of my favourites of the
    set.

    Sid:
    Closeup-01: This one is probably my favourite of the set. Floating
    (motorcycle?) brake disks, right?
    Closeup-02: Nice detail of the stamens, but the petals don't grip me.
    Closeup-03: Great exposure, nice light, and beautifully deep green
    background.

    Frank Ess:
    Macro-01: While I love the texture on the hose fitting, I can't help
    thinking that the bee was supposed to be the focus, but it isn't.
    Macro-02: Great, sharp focus with lovely light on an interesting piece of
    mechanism. Bravo!
    Macro-03: Battery terminals? Very mysterious. Moody.

    Dan Petre:
    Macro-01:

    Bob Flint:
    Macro-01: I love the idea of a snail-race, and the notion that one of
    them couldn't sit still long enough to take the photo.
    Macro-02: Another very nicely done dandelion.
    Macro-03:

    Andrew Reilly:
    Closeup-1: Lacking an actual Macro lens, I tried to make a pun on "close
    up", but Savage Duck is right: it conveys the notion of "up" without
    actually being an interesting photo...
    Closeup-2: This was actually the second go, which I took because I
    thought the light might be a bit better from this angle, and the
    background a little distracting. I don't mind the effect, but I like -3
    better.
    Closeup-3: I should have just gone with this one...

    MG:
    Macro-Azalea: I think this one needs to be either a bit closer (to get
    the stamen detail) or a bit further away (to get the contrasting dark
    green leaves in).
    Macro-CraneFlower: Nice shot, well lit.
    Macro-Ladybirds: Neat! I've never seen them like that. Perhaps a little
    closer, to crop out the bark on the lower left?

    Chemiker:
    Macro-01: Nice shot of an interesting butterfly. Good separation from
    the background and good exposure.
    Macro-02: Not sure I get this one. The complete blackness of the
    background gives it a Twin-Peaks kind of feel, but it's very stark.

    Martha Coe:
    Macro-01: The light is quite dull, perhaps overcast, which is sapping
    some definition.
    Macro-02: This one also needs a little more direct light, I think. I
    like the crinkly detail of the central petals, though.
    Macro-03: Nice shot of the flowers, but not especially close-up or macro.

    Peter Newman:
    Macro-Dahlia: Quite an abstract effect with the strong light and fully-
    black background. Striking.
    Macro-orchid: Great exposure, and close enough to be nearly abstract, but
    not so close that it can't be recognised. Love the colours.

    Alan Browne:
    Macro-01: Yep, that's close.
    Macro-02: I expected more creature photos for a macro set, but this one
    makes up for the lack. Love the way the back-light shines through the
    body.
    Macro-03: Lovely detail and great textures. I think I would have
    preferred more of it to be in focus, but as it is the selective focus
    emphasises the gnarly shape quite nicely.

    Thanks all!

    Cheers,

    --
    Andrew Reilly