Re: [SI] Lines and Intersections comments

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by tony cooper, Mar 9, 2010.

  1. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    Since I'm commenting late, I'll just comment on certain images.
    However, I disagree with the person who felt that this series wasn't
    particularly noteworthy. I feel that there was some real imagination
    used in meeting the mandate by many of the posters.

    Bowser2 - My first thought was that Bowser staged this for us, and I
    was terribly impressed that he'd go to all that trouble just to meet a
    Lines & Intersection mandate. I am suspicious, though, that he
    decided on the mandate with this photo already in hand.

    Bowser3 - I like the composition of this with the one road positioned
    as a strong diagonal from lower-left to upper-right, and the center
    loops offset to the right. I also like the non-standard crop. I see
    too many photographs where the presenter thinks he has to stay with a
    standard ratio and the photo loses strength because of it.

    SavageDuck01 - Good catch. Not something I think anyone would bother
    photographing normally, but when you're driving around thinking of
    Lines & Intersections you would. This kind of proves that mandates
    expand your photographic thinking.

    SavageDuck03 - About the same comments as above. Trite subject matter
    normally, but it fits the mandate. That green thing in the right
    quarter bothers me a bit. A spot of color is good, but when we don't
    know what the object is it becomes a distraction.

    RichardS (hand) - Once again, application of imagination to a mandate.
    I am just as impressed by someone who seeks out and finds something to
    fit as I am by someone who takes a great photo.

    Sid-1 - Kind of a postcardy look, but well done for what it is. I
    have a personal bias against shots that are too balanced. I like the
    center of attention to be offset. The top line being at an angle
    instead of level saves this, though. Sid makes good use of color in
    all three images.

    Alan Browne - I don't think there's anyone here that does a better job
    of focusing for detail the way Alan does. I think he could find hair
    on my scalp. He's also the master of depth-of-field transitions. The
    subjects are not all that interesting to me, though.

    CodyHouston - 4000 x 3000?

    NM5K - I really want to encourage new participants in this exercise,
    but these photos have been on view in the newsgroup for weeks.
    They're well-done, but we've already discussed them.

    As to the ones I didn't comment on...any critique I provide is based
    on my own prejudices, biases, and favoritisms. I like strong
    object-oriented photographs and people photographs. I'm not big on
    patterns, abstracts, landscape distance shots, and arty stuff.
    (Unless I take the picture) I withhold comment on these because I
    don't relate to them.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Mar 9, 2010

  2. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 22:50:38 -0800, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2010-03-08 22:20:56 -0800, tony cooper <> said:
    >

    >> SavageDuck03 - About the same comments as above. Trite subject matter
    >> normally, but it fits the mandate. That green thing in the right
    >> quarter bothers me a bit. A spot of color is good, but when we don't
    >> know what the object is it becomes a distraction.

    >OK, I got the message some are distracted by the yellow sign, some by
    >the grass, consider it fixed.
    >http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/Line&Intersections-Savageduck-03B.jpg

    The thing I was referring to is still there. The yellow sign didn't
    bother me because I knew what it was.

    >The next two mandates should be interesting.

    They all are if they produce expanded thinking and new perspectives on
    what we already see. Whenever I drive around I'm looking for an
    interesting photo op. When there's a mandate involved, I look at the
    usual things with new eyes.

    I participate in an online forum on "Street" photography. It kills me
    when I see the stuff that people in NYC and other major urban areas
    have to work with when I'm sitting here in a city that is primarily
    strip malls, hotels/motels, no downtown to speak of, and a population
    that looks like the gallery at a minor golf tournament at a public
    course. But I still find shots because I look for them.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Mar 9, 2010

  3. tony cooper

    Paul Furman Guest

    tony cooper wrote:
    > I'm not big on patterns, abstracts, landscape distance shots, and arty stuff.
    > (Unless I take the picture)

    lol <smack!>

    Your shots turned out nice. At first I was sure you did something
    ghastly to the white balance on the bike shot but on closer inspection
    it does look real. The whites are white, or close...

    I like Russel's snowy cliff, stark as it is, there is life to it
    somehow. The colorful facade is stunning. So crisp.

    Solomon's jungle shots really catch the mood of the place.

    Paul Furman, Mar 9, 2010
  4. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 08:42:07 -0800, Paul Furman <>
    wrote:

    >tony cooper wrote:
    >> I'm not big on patterns, abstracts, landscape distance shots, and arty stuff.
    >> (Unless I take the picture)

    >lol <smack!>
    >
    >Your shots turned out nice. At first I was sure you did something
    >ghastly to the white balance on the bike shot but on closer inspection
    >it does look real. The whites are white, or close...

    Thank you. There really are no white areas in the photograph. The
    whitewall tires are not really white. I tried using them as the white
    point in curves, but that did something strange with the whole image.
    The closest real white is the teardrop-shaped area on the fork.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Mar 9, 2010
  5. tony cooper

    Peter Guest

    "tony cooper" <> wrote in message
    > Since I'm commenting late, I'll just comment on certain images.
    > However, I disagree with the person who felt that this series wasn't
    > particularly noteworthy. I feel that there was some real imagination
    > used in meeting the mandate by many of the posters.
    >
    > Bowser2 - My first thought was that Bowser staged this for us, and I
    > was terribly impressed that he'd go to all that trouble just to meet a
    > Lines & Intersection mandate. I am suspicious, though, that he
    > decided on the mandate with this photo already in hand.
    >
    > Bowser3 - I like the composition of this with the one road positioned
    > as a strong diagonal from lower-left to upper-right, and the center
    > loops offset to the right. I also like the non-standard crop. I see
    > too many photographs where the presenter thinks he has to stay with a
    > standard ratio and the photo loses strength because of it.
    >
    > SavageDuck01 - Good catch. Not something I think anyone would bother
    > photographing normally, but when you're driving around thinking of
    > Lines & Intersections you would. This kind of proves that mandates
    > expand your photographic thinking.
    >
    > SavageDuck03 - About the same comments as above. Trite subject matter
    > normally, but it fits the mandate. That green thing in the right
    > quarter bothers me a bit. A spot of color is good, but when we don't
    > know what the object is it becomes a distraction.
    >
    > RichardS (hand) - Once again, application of imagination to a mandate.
    > I am just as impressed by someone who seeks out and finds something to
    > fit as I am by someone who takes a great photo.
    >
    > Sid-1 - Kind of a postcardy look, but well done for what it is. I
    > have a personal bias against shots that are too balanced. I like the
    > center of attention to be offset. The top line being at an angle
    > instead of level saves this, though. Sid makes good use of color in
    > all three images.
    >
    > Alan Browne - I don't think there's anyone here that does a better job
    > of focusing for detail the way Alan does. I think he could find hair
    > on my scalp. He's also the master of depth-of-field transitions. The
    > subjects are not all that interesting to me, though.
    >
    > CodyHouston - 4000 x 3000?
    >
    > NM5K - I really want to encourage new participants in this exercise,
    > but these photos have been on view in the newsgroup for weeks.
    > They're well-done, but we've already discussed them.
    >
    > As to the ones I didn't comment on...any critique I provide is based
    > on my own prejudices, biases, and favoritisms. I like strong
    > object-oriented photographs and people photographs. I'm not big on
    > patterns, abstracts, landscape distance shots, and arty stuff.
    > (Unless I take the picture) I withhold comment on these because I
    > don't relate to them.

    That's fair comment. If we all liked the same thing it would be a boring
    world.

    --
    Peter

    Peter, Mar 10, 2010