Re: [SI] Geotags - examples

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by PeterN, Jul 9, 2012.

  1. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/5/2012 5:38 PM, SI Committee wrote:

    > As it turns out one of our shooters has been quietly geotagging some of
    > his SI photos for quite some time. With that, the inauguration of the
    > Shootin Geo Tag page has retroactively begun.
    >
    > http://www.panoramio.com/user/7024030

    I have not used geotagging. However, during the last two days I was
    roaming around in Dutchess and Colombia Counties, looking for bucolic
    scenery. It would be nice if I could easily return to shoot those scenes
    under various lighting conditions. There may very well be a geotagging
    in my future.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Jul 9, 2012

  2. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/8/2012 9:28 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-07-08 18:03:44 -0700, Eric Stevens <> said:
    >
    >> On Sun, 8 Jul 2012 17:28:19 -0700, Savageduck
    >> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >>> A use is discovered!
    >>>
    >>> For your Nikon DSLR I would suggest stepping up and buy a Nikon GP-1. I
    >>> leave mine on all the time, mounted in the hot-shoe. Unless I need to
    >>> use my SB-800. Then I just let it hang from the 10-pin connector cable.

    >> Don't you use your cable release?
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Eric Stevens

    > If I have to use my wireless remote, or my cable release which both
    > connect via the 10-pin plug, I first consider if I am shooting indoors
    > or outdoors. Also when using a remote release you don't usually move the
    > camera around too much. If indoors, I know I am not likely to get a good
    > GPS fix anyway. So it is easy enough to take a locating reference shot
    > outside the building, disconnect the GP-1, and continue shooting using
    > whichever remote release I have decided on, either my Nikon MC-30 or my
    > Phottix Plato wireless remote;
    > < http://www.phottixstore.com/store/wireless-remotes/phottix-plato.html >
    >
    > I can then tag the finished indoor files with the GPS location data from
    > the reference shot.
    > The same can be done when using a 10-pin connect remote release
    > outdoors. Just shoot a reference location shot and tag the other shots
    > in post using the reference data.
    >
    > ....or if you have any other means of recording a waypoint or fix a
    > location you can use that device (a dedicated GPS logger, or a smart
    > phone, such as an iPhone) to obtain a location reference shot so you can
    > add tags to the product shots in post.

    That is a lot of extra work. I am still more concerned with the composition.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Jul 10, 2012

  3. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/8/2012 8:28 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-07-08 16:39:21 -0700, PeterN <> said:
    >
    >> On 7/5/2012 5:38 PM, SI Committee wrote:
    >>>
    >>> As it turns out one of our shooters has been quietly geotagging some of
    >>> his SI photos for quite some time. With that, the inauguration of the
    >>> Shootin Geo Tag page has retroactively begun.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.panoramio.com/user/7024030
    >>>

    >> I have not used geotagging. However, during the last two days I was
    >> roaming around in Dutchess and Colombia Counties, looking for bucolic
    >> scenery. It would be nice if I could easily return to shoot those
    >> scenes under various lighting conditions. There may very well be a
    >> geotagging in my future.

    > A use is discovered!
    >
    > For your Nikon DSLR I would suggest stepping up and buy a Nikon GP-1. I
    > leave mine on all the time, mounted in the hot-shoe. Unless I need to
    > use my SB-800. Then I just let it hang from the 10-pin connector cable.

    All true, but I am thinking about an upgrade, and am not sure if I would
    have a compatibility issue. *At least if there is one, I would like to
    know prior to purchase.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Jul 10, 2012
  4. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/8/2012 9:45 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-07-08 16:39:21 -0700, PeterN <> said:
    >
    >> On 7/5/2012 5:38 PM, SI Committee wrote:
    >>>
    >>> As it turns out one of our shooters has been quietly geotagging some of
    >>> his SI photos for quite some time. With that, the inauguration of the
    >>> Shootin Geo Tag page has retroactively begun.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.panoramio.com/user/7024030
    >>>

    >> I have not used geotagging. However, during the last two days I was
    >> roaming around in Dutchess and Colombia Counties, looking for bucolic
    >> scenery. It would be nice if I could easily return to shoot those
    >> scenes under various lighting conditions. There may very well be a
    >> geotagging in my future.

    > BTW: You already own an iPhone and you have taken shots at some of the
    > locations you used for the "Food" SI. So you are already Geo-tagging.
    > Check your settings to see if you have "Location Services: turned on for
    > the iPhone. Then scroll down the list of Apps, which include the
    > "Camera" to make sure "Location Services" are turned on for that app.
    > I have several Apps which make good use of Location Services on my
    > iPhone, including:
    > Audubon Field Guide
    > iBird Pro
    > Camera
    > Camera+
    > Evernote
    > Gasbuddy (great for finding nearby low gas prices!)
    > Locator
    > Google Earth
    > GPSnote
    > MapsWithMe (for downloading maps to be used offline, great when there is
    > no cell or WiFi access.)
    > MotionX-GPS
    > Theodolite
    > The Photographer's Ephemeris
    > NG Park Maps
    > NG Park Guides
    > PS Express
    > Snapseed
    > Tunein Radio
    > Weather
    > Wikipedia
    > Yellowbook
    > and
    > Find My Phone
    >
    > Just take a reference shot with your iPhone and you will have the
    > location data recorded.

    True, but I see matching the image with the iPhone geotag as a PITA.
    Perhaps I have to rethink my laziness.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Jul 10, 2012
  5. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/9/2012 8:53 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-07-09 16:23:30 -0700, PeterN <> said:
    >
    >> On 7/8/2012 9:45 PM, Savageduck wrote:

    >>> BTW: You already own an iPhone and you have taken shots at some of the
    >>> locations you used for the "Food" SI. So you are already Geo-tagging.
    >>> Check your settings to see if you have "Location Services: turned on for
    >>> the iPhone. Then scroll down the list of Apps, which include the
    >>> "Camera" to make sure "Location Services" are turned on for that app.
    >>> I have several Apps which make good use of Location Services on my
    >>> iPhone, including:
    >>> Audubon Field Guide
    >>> iBird Pro
    >>> Camera
    >>> Camera+
    >>> Evernote
    >>> Gasbuddy (great for finding nearby low gas prices!)
    >>> Locator
    >>> Google Earth
    >>> GPSnote
    >>> MapsWithMe (for downloading maps to be used offline, great when there is
    >>> no cell or WiFi access.)
    >>> MotionX-GPS
    >>> Theodolite
    >>> The Photographer's Ephemeris
    >>> NG Park Maps
    >>> NG Park Guides
    >>> PS Express
    >>> Snapseed
    >>> Tunein Radio
    >>> Weather
    >>> Wikipedia
    >>> Yellowbook
    >>> and
    >>> Find My Phone
    >>>
    >>> Just take a reference shot with your iPhone and you will have the
    >>> location data recorded.
    >>>

    >> True, but I see matching the image with the iPhone geotag as a PITA.
    >> Perhaps I have to rethink my laziness.

    > While you can certainly use the iPhone geo-tag data to tag images shot
    > with your DSLR, I agree, that is a royal PITA. What I was saying above,
    > was given more as a solution for providing you a geo-tagged reference
    > shot to facilitate a later return to past and future photography sites.
    > With your iPhone you are not limited to making that record with a
    > photograph. You can use one of the GPS apps such as MotionX-GPS to log a
    > trip and just set a waypoint for a location.
    > MotionX-GPS $0.99 <
    > http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/motionx-gps/id299949744?mt=8 >
    >
    > Theodolite Pro $3.99 <
    > http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/theodolite-pro/id339393884?mt=8 >
    > Adds a bit more, along with an integrated camera, so a shot which
    > includes useful information such as location and compass heading of the
    > shot, and more.
    > Something like this where the information is recorded as an iPhone
    > screen shot, as well as the image being geo-tagged.
    > < http://db.tt/H9lGaDjx >
    >
    > GPS Notes has free & ad-free $0.99 version. This keeps track of your
    > location and if you want to mark a site, you drop a pin and attach a
    > note. Very simple and a record is noted. This is not a traditional GPS
    > application or an image file geo-tagger, it serves a simpler purpose.
    > < http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/my-gps-notes/id353548274?mt=8 >

    Thanks for the app idea, Nest trip I may p;ay with it,. I also have GPS
    in the car, and that is more convenient. I did make some of the key way
    points, such as the Post Office at Malden Bridge, in the car, though few
    images were actually tagged. What I really should do, i indicate which
    images would be better shot, at what time of day, or under what lighting
    conditions. Remember though the location is a over 130 miles from my home.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Jul 10, 2012
  6. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/9/2012 9:57 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-07-09 16:20:34 -0700, PeterN <> said:
    >
    >> On 7/8/2012 8:28 PM, Savageduck wrote:

    >>> A use is discovered!
    >>>
    >>> For your Nikon DSLR I would suggest stepping up and buy a Nikon GP-1. I
    >>> leave mine on all the time, mounted in the hot-shoe. Unless I need to
    >>> use my SB-800. Then I just let it hang from the 10-pin connector cable.
    >>>

    >> All true, but I am thinking about an upgrade, and am not sure if I
    >> would have a compatibility issue. *At least if there is one, I would
    >> like to know prior to purchase.

    > As I stated in another response, the newer Nikon DSLRs have a dedicated
    > GSP port instead of the 10-pin plug, and would just use a different
    > cable with the GP-1.

    I know. But we don't really know if the GPS port wold be compatible. My
    thought is to wait until I decide which new model to get, and then check
    the compatibility issue. Some folks who know me well talked me out of
    the D800.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Jul 10, 2012
  7. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/10/2012 2:44 AM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-07-09 18:57:22 -0700, Savageduck
    > <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> said:

    >>> All true, but I am thinking about an upgrade, and am not sure if I
    >>> would have a compatibility issue. *At least if there is one, I would
    >>> like to know prior to purchase.

    >> As I stated in another response, the newer Nikon DSLRs have a
    >> dedicated GSP port instead of the 10-pin plug, and would just use a
    >> different cable with the GP-1.

    > GSP!!! ?
    > One of my tags must have slipped!

    Your dyslexic fingers could be a direct result of not believing in doG

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Jul 10, 2012
  8. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/10/2012 6:33 AM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-07-10 03:20:51 -0700, PeterN <> said:
    >
    >> On 7/9/2012 8:53 PM, Savageduck wrote:

    >>> While you can certainly use the iPhone geo-tag data to tag images shot
    >>> with your DSLR, I agree, that is a royal PITA. What I was saying above,
    >>> was given more as a solution for providing you a geo-tagged reference
    >>> shot to facilitate a later return to past and future photography sites.
    >>> With your iPhone you are not limited to making that record with a
    >>> photograph. You can use one of the GPS apps such as MotionX-GPS to log a
    >>> trip and just set a waypoint for a location.
    >>> MotionX-GPS $0.99 <
    >>> http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/motionx-gps/id299949744?mt=8 >
    >>>
    >>> Theodolite Pro $3.99 <
    >>> http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/theodolite-pro/id339393884?mt=8 >
    >>> Adds a bit more, along with an integrated camera, so a shot which
    >>> includes useful information such as location and compass heading of the
    >>> shot, and more.
    >>> Something like this where the information is recorded as an iPhone
    >>> screen shot, as well as the image being geo-tagged.
    >>> < http://db.tt/H9lGaDjx >
    >>>
    >>> GPS Notes has free & ad-free $0.99 version. This keeps track of your
    >>> location and if you want to mark a site, you drop a pin and attach a
    >>> note. Very simple and a record is noted. This is not a traditional GPS
    >>> application or an image file geo-tagger, it serves a simpler purpose.
    >>> < http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/my-gps-notes/id353548274?mt=8 >
    >>>

    >> Thanks for the app idea, Nest trip I may p;ay with it,. I also have
    >> GPS in the car, and that is more convenient. I did make some of the
    >> key way points, such as the Post Office at Malden Bridge, in the car,
    >> though few images were actually tagged. What I really should do, i
    >> indicate which images would be better shot, at what time of day, or
    >> under what lighting conditions. Remember though the location is a over
    >> 130 miles from my home.

    > For planning daylight, Sun & Moon rise, Sun & Moon set, for any location
    > on any date, there is "The Photographer"s Ephemeris
    > < http://photoephemeris.com/ >
    >
    > check some of these screen shots for the type of information available
    > with this App, For what it does, not a bad value at $8.99.
    > <
    > http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-photographers-ephemeris/id366195670?mt=8
    > >

    > The iPhone can be so much more than a phone.

    One of my friends has a similar app for his iPad. It works well.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Jul 10, 2012
  9. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/10/2012 1:00 PM, George Kerby wrote:

    > On 7/10/12 5:33 AM, in article
    > 2012071003334823865-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, "Savageduck"
    > <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >>> Thanks for the app idea, Nest trip I may p;ay with it,. I also have GPS
    >>> in the car, and that is more convenient. I did make some of the key way
    >>> points, such as the Post Office at Malden Bridge, in the car, though
    >>> few images were actually tagged. What I really should do, i indicate
    >>> which images would be better shot, at what time of day, or under what
    >>> lighting conditions. Remember though the location is a over 130 miles
    >>> from my home.

    >> For planning daylight, Sun & Moon rise, Sun & Moon set, for any
    >> location on any date, there is "The Photographer"s Ephemeris
    >> < http://photoephemeris.com/ >
    >>
    >> check some of these screen shots for the type of information available
    >> with this App, For what it does, not a bad value at $8.99.
    >> < http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-photographers-ephemeris/id366195670?mt=8
    >>>

    >> The iPhone can be so much more than a phone.

    > Try "Sunrise Sunset! Free":
    >
    > <http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sunrise-sunset!-free/id333203697?mt=8>
    >
    > It is quite useful for the iPhone.

    This app is not free. But, it shows the angle of the Sun Nd the Moon,
    rising and setting, from any location, in addition to the time and
    tides. It's great for planning photo shoots. Of course weather is always
    a factor.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Jul 10, 2012