Re: [SI] "FGS" 'Duck Comments

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Robert Coe, Oct 3, 2012.

  1. Robert Coe

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Tue, 2 Oct 2012 14:49:58 -0700, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
    wrote:
    : SI Mandate: http://www.pbase.com/shootin/letters_fgs
    :
    : ‘Duck comments:
    : Once more we have the most of the usual suspects to deal with. Thanks
    : for showing up guys!

    : ...

    : Bob Coe:
    : FGS-01:
    : Come on Bob! That is not surf. A pleasant enough shot, but surf?

    Eastern surf. We take what nature offers us.

    : FGS-02:
    : OK! I will buy “Foam” for this one. Nicely executed, and captures what
    : happens with waves pushing their way through a slot in the rocks.

    Thanks! Thunder Hole is my favorite spot in the park. It's the only place I
    remember from my first visit, about 60 years ago!

    : FGS-03:
    : I guess you have to let your imagination drift a bit for this one.

    C'mon, Duck, don't you see the eye and mouth?

    : ...

    : Martha Coe
    : FGS-01:
    : Nice shot. I will take your word for the rocks being granite. Nice
    : reflections in the foreground. All very pleasant and enjoyable.

    The whole island is granite!

    : FGS-02:
    : Another nice capture showing the character of the park. A fine postcard.
    : FGS-03
    : Nice Sunset, but it is overpowered by the deep foreground shadows.
    : This is an opportunity lost, but with a possible rescue by a crop
    : saving the upper right 2/3. This would place the vertical crop line to
    : the right of the tree silhouette (tree be gone) and the lower
    : horizontal crop line just below the body of water on the lower right.
    : Perhaps something like this:
    : < http://db.tt/XaErQFVl >

    What it needs is a white border. Which the photo editor I use, Digital Photo
    Pro, doesn't (alas!) provide. I basically knew it would fade into the black
    Pbase backgoround; but we thought it was better than the sunsets I got that
    evening, so we went with it. And I totally disagree about the tree; I think
    it's a necessary compositional element. Without it, some of my sunsets *were*
    better!

    BTW, Martha and I have found on this and many other occasions, that we tend to
    do our best work when we go on photo shoots together. We don't get to do it as
    often as I would like, but it always seems to work when we do.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Oct 3, 2012

  2. Robert Coe

    PeterN Guest

    On 10/2/2012 8:56 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
    > On Tue, 2 Oct 2012 14:49:58 -0700, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
    > wrote:
    > : SI Mandate: http://www.pbase.com/shootin/letters_fgs
    > :
    > : ‘Duck comments:
    > : Once more we have the most of the usual suspects to deal with. Thanks
    > : for showing up guys!
    >
    > : ...
    >
    > : Bob Coe:
    > : FGS-01:
    > : Come on Bob! That is not surf. A pleasant enough shot, but surf?
    >
    > Eastern surf. We take what nature offers us.
    >
    > : FGS-02:
    > : OK! I will buy “Foam” for this one. Nicely executed, and captures what
    > : happens with waves pushing their way through a slot in the rocks.
    >
    > Thanks! Thunder Hole is my favorite spot in the park. It's the only place I
    > remember from my first visit, about 60 years ago!

    there is a sign that I wanted to add to my collection,, but my wife
    commented in the negative way that only a spouse can.
    The sign:
    "Thunder Hole Restrooms"

    --
    Peter