Re: [SI] Eric Stevens comments on 'Tens'.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by PeterN, Aug 29, 2013.

  1. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 8/26/2013 10:38 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:

    > 10_Multiple Zoom Peter Newman_Moon bridges.jpg
    > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/152026111/original
    > What can I say? 'You should have turned the stabilisation on' - or
    > maybe you should have turned it off?
    >
    > Whatever it is, it's a cunning idea and it would make a magnificent
    > print in the larger sizes. One day you must tell us what it is. :)

    You almost have it right. I did a ten exposure shot, with each exposure
    at a different focal length. I was also adjusting the focal length
    during each exposure though, not evenly. VR was off, but the camera was
    on a sturdy tripod.

    > 10_lines & intersections_Peter Newman_Trapese Artist.jpg
    > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/152026115&exif=Y
    > A nice composition. There are lines which appear to be sharpening
    > artifacts around the performer. What makes me suspect they are
    > sharpening artifacts is that the end of the trapeze bar has the same
    > lines where it protrudes beyond the trapeze artist. From this, and the
    > softness of the edges of the ropes, I suspect this image has been
    > heavily cropped. Am I right?

    It was about a 2/3 crop. Not severe, compared to some of my others. I
    suspect the blur was caused by the wind. I originally considered a high
    contrast version, which I may post just for fun. The problem is that a
    high contrast would lose the effect of soaring above the clouds. I have
    some pondering to do.

    > 10_night_Peter Newman_Moon bridges.jpg
    > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/152026116
    > Thank you for responding so promptly to my query about the origin of
    > your 'Multiple Zoom' image. I think that in some ways I prefer the
    > other. This really is an extraordinary photograph: 1/8 second, f/8 and
    > an ISO of 8063! The composition is fine and my only regret is that the
    > image is not as sharp as it could be. I presume you used a tripod and
    > what we are seeing is, presumably, the result of mirror flap etc.

    I was standing on a pier, that was being shaken by the heavy base of a
    rock recording blasting all. As you can tell from the water, there was a
    strong wind blowing. the purpose of the site was to catch the full moon
    rising over the bridge. My originally planned shooting location was
    closed for construction. The exposure was a compromise.
    it was the resoult of wind, and

    --
    PeterN
    PeterN, Aug 29, 2013