Re: [SI] Dusk or Dawn is available mid day!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by PeterN, Sep 19, 2011.

  1. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 9/18/2011 6:59 PM, Paul Furman wrote:

    <snip>

    >> As always, thanks to all for playing.

    > I've got one more I shot with the mandate in mind, after the deadline:
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehill/6159360580/in/photostream/

    Great composition. I particularly like like the rock stacking in the
    first Muir Beach. You have captured the mood. Too bad some of the dark
    area seems a bit blocked. But, maybe it's the screen.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Sep 19, 2011

  2. PeterN

    Pete A Guest

    On 2011-09-19 01:51:52 +0100, Paul Furman said:

    > PeterN wrote:

    >>> I've got one more I shot with the mandate in mind, after the deadline:
    >>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehill/6159360580/in/photostream/

    >> Great composition. I particularly like like the rock stacking in the
    >> first Muir Beach. You have captured the mood. Too bad some of the dark
    >> area seems a bit blocked. But, maybe it's the screen.

    > Thanks, I actually dropped the exposure almost a stop in post so it
    > looked like dawn, not a white sky, and a little more saturated.
    > At full size, you will see some crazy orange and purple star fish I
    > hadn't noticed in real life <g>
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehill/6159360580/sizes/o/

    Stunning. My "Early Mars" image has a sea of water, I should've shot it
    as carbon dioxide like yours.
    Pete A, Sep 19, 2011

  3. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 9/18/2011 8:51 PM, Paul Furman wrote:
    > PeterN wrote:

    >>> I've got one more I shot with the mandate in mind, after the deadline:
    >>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehill/6159360580/in/photostream/

    >> Great composition. I particularly like like the rock stacking in the
    >> first Muir Beach. You have captured the mood. Too bad some of the dark
    >> area seems a bit blocked. But, maybe it's the screen.

    > Thanks, I actually dropped the exposure almost a stop in post so it
    > looked like dawn, not a white sky, and a little more saturated.
    > At full size, you will see some crazy orange and purple star fish I
    > hadn't noticed in real life <g>
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehill/6159360580/sizes/o/

    Ah! I see now why you dropped the exposure. The building in the
    background is distracting. Could some cloning help?

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Sep 20, 2011
  4. PeterN

    otter Guest

    Re: Dusk or Dawn is available mid day!

    On Sep 19, 7:15 pm, Paul Furman <> wrote:
    > PeterN wrote:
    > > Paul Furman wrote:

    > >> Thanks, I actually dropped the exposure almost a stop in post so it
    > >> looked like dawn, not a white sky, and a little more saturated.
    > >> At full size, you will see some crazy orange and purple star fish I
    > >> hadn't noticed in real life <g>
    > >>http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehill/6159360580/sizes/o/

    > > Ah! I see now why you dropped the exposure. The building in the
    > > background is distracting. Could some cloning help?

    > There aren't any buildings big enough to see; between the large rocks is
    > Point Bonita headlands 4 miles away and Mt Davidson or Twin Peaks in San
    > Francisco 10 miles away with a radio tower - lights from the Sunset
    > District / Ocean Beach SF to the right of the rocks. Maybe San Bruno Mt
    > 15 miles away.

    Paul, I take it you live near there? One of my favorite areas. I had
    a friend who lived in Mill Valley that I used to visit some 40 years
    ago. I remember going to an arts fair in Sausalito. I think the
    admission was free or a couple bucks at most. There was a girl band
    playing. Not bad, but not great. Turns out they were the girl
    friends of the guys in Quicksilver Messenger Service. The guys got up
    on stage and did a 20-30 minute instrumental set that just blew me
    away.

    I lived in Boulder Creek in the Santa Cruz Mountains for about 5
    years. Sure do miss the Bay Area, except for the costs.
    otter, Sep 20, 2011
  5. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 9/19/2011 8:15 PM, Paul Furman wrote:
    > PeterN wrote:
    >> Paul Furman wrote:

    >>> Thanks, I actually dropped the exposure almost a stop in post so it
    >>> looked like dawn, not a white sky, and a little more saturated.
    >>> At full size, you will see some crazy orange and purple star fish I
    >>> hadn't noticed in real life <g>
    >>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehill/6159360580/sizes/o/

    >> Ah! I see now why you dropped the exposure. The building in the
    >> background is distracting. Could some cloning help?

    > There aren't any buildings big enough to see; between the large rocks is
    > Point Bonita headlands 4 miles away and Mt Davidson or Twin Peaks in San
    > Francisco 10 miles away with a radio tower - lights from the Sunset
    > District / Ocean Beach SF to the right of the rocks. Maybe San Bruno Mt
    > 15 miles away.

    What is that bright area?

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Sep 20, 2011
  6. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 9/20/2011 10:32 AM, Paul Furman wrote:
    > PeterN wrote:
    >> Paul Furman wrote:

    >>> There aren't any buildings big enough to see; between the large rocks is
    >>> Point Bonita headlands 4 miles away and Mt Davidson or Twin Peaks in San
    >>> Francisco 10 miles away with a radio tower - lights from the Sunset
    >>> District / Ocean Beach SF to the right of the rocks. Maybe San Bruno Mt
    >>> 15 miles away.

    >> What is that bright area?

    > Residential neighborhood street lights in the Outer Sunset district near
    > Ocean Beach, San Francisco, 8.5 miles away. It's out of focus because
    > I'm at f/4 to keep the ISO relatively low at 800. 40mm FX focused on the
    > rocks, 30 second exposure is max without a wired remote which I didn't
    > have in the bag.

    OK. but in any event, to my eyes the bright area detracts from a
    beautiful scene.

    Unless of course you intended to make a statement such as: all beauty
    must come to an end.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Sep 20, 2011
  7. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 9/20/2011 12:49 PM, Paul Furman wrote:
    > PeterN wrote:

    >>> Residential neighborhood street lights in the Outer Sunset district near
    >>> Ocean Beach, San Francisco, 8.5 miles away. It's out of focus because
    >>> I'm at f/4 to keep the ISO relatively low at 800. 40mm FX focused on the
    >>> rocks, 30 second exposure is max without a wired remote which I didn't
    >>> have in the bag.

    >> OK. but in any event, to my eyes the bright area detracts from a
    >> beautiful scene.
    >>
    >> Unless of course you intended to make a statement such as: all beauty
    >> must come to an end.

    > :)
    >
    > Maybe the point was: look at how serene it can be just a few miles from
    > the hustle bustle of those nasty orange lights... lol

    the symbols we can find in photography, if we look hard enough:

    the worst thing about a Sunday, is that Monday follows. LOL

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Sep 20, 2011