Re: [SI] Dusk or Dawn is available mid day!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by tony cooper, Sep 16, 2011.

  1. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 18:40:58 -0400, Bowser <> wrote:

    >The Dusk or Dawn gallery is posted, and it's a very healthy gallery,
    >too. Some nice shots in there. Take a look, and offer a friendly
    >critique, if you dare.
    >
    >http://www.pbase.com/shootin/duskdawn

    Pithy comments:

    Bowser1 & Bowser2: Both excellent shots, but how they fit the Dusk to
    Dawn mandate baffles me. Bowser3 fits the mandate, but is a rather
    trite view of a much-photographed setting.

    Irwell1 & Irwell2 smack of that "I've got to photograph something, but
    I don't see anything all that interesting" situation we all face at
    times. Irwell3, though, shows a good eye for finding something
    interesting where others would miss it. I wonder about cropping it to
    a non-standard ratio to eliminate the top-heavy look.

    Eric's "Dawn" is pretty, incorporates natural framing, close-enough to
    mandate, and well composed. Why doesn't it interest me, though? Too
    post-cardy, I suppose. "Dusk" misses on too many counts. "Dusk and
    Dawn" is competent, but without any real interest.

    PeteA's photos are gems of rich color. Really good shots. There's
    something lacking in composition, but Pete can't really move around
    those ships and pose them. I'd like to see Pete try finding a more
    solitary subject that can be part of, but not dominant to, the scene
    and see what he can do with it.

    Bob and Martha Coe's efforts this month are not quite up to what I
    expect from them. Each make me wonder why that shot was taken.

    Tim Conway presents an interesting post-processing rendition in
    "Duskdawn", but the main feature of the shot is spoiled by the
    filled-in arches of the bridge. I do like the rowboat. That, from
    another angle, could have been the better shot with this processing.

    Paul Furman's sax player could have been my favorite for this group
    because it has 1) people, 2) black and white, and, 3)a street scene.
    You have to get all the person in, though, when the person is your
    main subject. Can't truncate them unless you're doing a straight
    head-and-shoulders.

    I would have cropped that portrait just at the right edge of the lamp
    post. That somewhat horse-like shape to the left of the lamp post is
    distracting because you don't know what it is. Two pedestrians on
    close examination, but you don't want the viewer doing close
    examination of ancillary aspects of the photo.

    I guess there's something to be said about DanP's two submissions, but
    after looking at all of the photos this month I just have to admit
    that I'm not a person who likes photographs of sky and clouds.
    Interesting colors, but photos without meat...to me.

    Otter's image is interesting, but he could take some lessons from
    PeteA in color. The colors here are just too wrong for me. I like
    the boat and tiny little moon, though.

    Image size has been discussed in other threads. With Otter's, I have
    to scroll up and down to see the entire image. (Same with PeteA's) I
    didn't even see the houses in the lower right the first few times I
    opened this image. Sized smaller, though, and the effect would be
    lost. A square crop of the lower part of the image would work to be
    viewable on-screen.

    If I gotta pick a sky photo, the Duck's "Dusk 01" is the best so far.
    Still, a whole lot of pretty nothing. "Dusk 02" doesn't work for me
    because fog or mist or whatever it is just doesn't work unless it's
    lifting in parts. Otherwise, it just obscures.

    "Dusk 03" is very well done. Good color, good composition.

    I don't understand Alan's "Fairplay" view. Awful lot of uninteresting
    foreground. Interesting color in the red shot.

    The "Grand Electric Palace of Variety" by Peter Chant suffers for
    being a "dusk or dawn" shot. To make the mandate, it's a wide shot.
    The better scene would have been something closer. He didn't miss on
    the second shot. That's a great shot!

    "Lighthouse Morning", PeterN, is interesting, but why did you chop the
    top and include so much at the bottom? It's a photo within a photo.
    There's a man taking a photograph of a woman out on the deck.

    "Sausage and Peppers" was probably fun to do, but ... you know.
    "Sunset Lovers" is more interesting.

    No dogs this month, but pick of the litter was Peter Chant's
    "Sheppard's Electric".

    Some really strong color effects this month from Bowser's mushroom to
    Pete's ship scenes to Duck's waves on the beach.

    Two people who didn't take a photograph good enough to submit: Tony
    Cooper and Bruce.
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Sep 16, 2011

  2. tony cooper

    Tim Conway Guest

    "tony cooper" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 18:40:58 -0400, Bowser <> wrote:
    >
    >>The Dusk or Dawn gallery is posted, and it's a very healthy gallery,
    >>too. Some nice shots in there. Take a look, and offer a friendly
    >>critique, if you dare.
    >>
    >>http://www.pbase.com/shootin/duskdawn

    > Pithy comments:

    y that shot was taken.

    > Tim Conway presents an interesting post-processing rendition in
    > "Duskdawn", but the main feature of the shot is spoiled by the
    > filled-in arches of the bridge. I do like the rowboat. That, from
    > another angle, could have been the better shot with this processing.

    Actually that was done in camera on print film with an "85" filter. The
    only post processing was a little color correction to match the print I
    copied and some sharpening.
    Thanks for your comments.
    Tim Conway, Sep 16, 2011

  3. tony cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 9/16/2011 10:01 AM, tony cooper wrote:

    <snip>

    > "Lighthouse Morning", PeterN, is interesting, but why did you chop the
    > top and include so much at the bottom? It's a photo within a photo.
    > There's a man taking a photograph of a woman out on the deck.

    As usual, your comments are interesting and thoughtful.

    From a composition standpoint I had to choose between the leading lines
    of the ramp ant the tip of the mast on the lighthouse. I should have
    cloned out the tip of the mast.
    You do have an eye for people. Look closely, she has her hands on her
    hips while we was taking the sunrise. In reality, she was nudging him
    about breakfast.

    > "Sausage and Peppers" was probably fun to do, but ... you know.

    It was a fun thing.I do understand that not everybody would want that
    image on their wall. My wife wouldn't.

    > "Sunset Lovers" is more interesting.

    As a redo, I will probably posterize everything but the sky.

    As an aside, our CC will be participating in an experimental Island wide
    competition for creative images. What is creative will be left to the
    maker. However, the category is intended to: "bridge the gap between
    nature and abstract.'

    The members will also be voting on the most popular image each month.

    > Two people who didn't take a photograph good enough to submit: Tony
    > Cooper and Bruce.

    Aw Tony! I try to use the SI to get me out of my comfort zone.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Sep 16, 2011
  4. tony cooper

    Pete A Guest

    On 2011-09-16 15:01:49 +0100, tony cooper said:

    > PeteA's photos are gems of rich color. Really good shots. There's
    > something lacking in composition, but Pete can't really move around
    > those ships and pose them. I'd like to see Pete try finding a more
    > solitary subject that can be part of, but not dominant to, the scene
    > and see what he can do with it.

    Many thanks, Tony, for the very useful feedback. I tend to use dramatic
    colours (surrealism) to detract from my lack of ability for composition.

    I also have to face up to the reality that I'm extremely vulnerable if
    I wander into a remote area to get a better shot. The last time I was
    taking night shots I overheard the conversation between the occupants
    of three cars that had parked in the vicinity - it seems they decided
    to leave me alone because they thought I had enough money to pursue
    them if they stole my camera gear and car. Luckily, they stay up so
    late at night that I can safely go back at dawn :)
    Pete A, Sep 16, 2011
  5. tony cooper

    Pete A Guest

    On 2011-09-16 18:26:51 +0100, Bowser said:

    > [...]
    > And once again, nobody likes that damned third shot.
    >
    > :)

    Oh, for goodness sake! I wrote "I have a sense of unease looking at
    this one. The guy in the boat is pointing to it: I think it needs to
    show either bit more on the left or bit less."

    That doesn't mean I didn't like it. I took into account in my comments
    that you know very well I'm a great fan of your images, so, I really
    really like that shot, OK? If it had been framed slightly differently
    on the left I think it would transform it from "very good" to "superb."
    Pete A, Sep 16, 2011
  6. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 13:26:51 -0400, Bowser <> wrote:

    >On 9/16/2011 10:01 AM, tony cooper wrote:
    >> On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 18:40:58 -0400, Bowser<> wrote:
    >>
    >>> The Dusk or Dawn gallery is posted, and it's a very healthy gallery,
    >>> too. Some nice shots in there. Take a look, and offer a friendly
    >>> critique, if you dare.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/duskdawn

    >> Pithy comments:
    >>
    >> Bowser1& Bowser2: Both excellent shots, but how they fit the Dusk to
    >> Dawn mandate baffles me. Bowser3 fits the mandate, but is a rather
    >> trite view of a much-photographed setting.

    >All three shots were taken at dusk. the first one, I thought, was pretty
    >obvious, but I'll grant you the mushrooms isn't as obvious. But it was
    >taken at dusk and the light was really nice.
    >
    >And once again, nobody likes that damned third shot.

    Well, to me, a "dusk or dawn" photo ought to *look* like it was taken
    at dusk or at dawn. I did like the mushroom photo, though.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Sep 16, 2011
  7. tony cooper

    Pete A Guest

    On 2011-09-18 16:29:29 +0100, Bowser said:

    > Pete A wrote:
    >> [...]

    > Just kidding around...

    Now you know why I'm incompatible with camera clubs. I'd be dismissed
    within the first 10 minutes of a serious discussion :)
    Pete A, Sep 18, 2011