Re: [SI] Dusk or Dawn is available mid day!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Pete A, Sep 14, 2011.

  1. Pete A

    Pete A Guest

    On 2011-09-13 23:40:58 +0100, Bowser said:

    > The Dusk or Dawn gallery is posted, and it's a very healthy gallery,
    > too. Some nice shots in there. Take a look, and offer a friendly
    > critique, if you dare.
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/duskdawn


    Plenty of variety and enjoyable images in this SI.


    Bowser
    1. Nice shot. I would prefer it if the water wasn't quite so dark at
    the bottom-centre.

    2. Awesome colours, light and textures, and a most interesting picture.
    On the full-sized image, I find the bokeh on the light twigs slightly
    distracting.

    3. I have a sense of unease looking at this one. The guy in the boat is
    pointing to it: I think it needs to show either bit more on the left
    or bit less.


    Irwell
    1. This one didn't work form me.
    2. Very easy to look at and the light is great.
    3. Un unusual and attention grabbing shot.
    Can't think of any suggestions for improvements.


    Eric S
    Dawn: I like this very much. The two yellow hulls in the centre make
    strong points of interest. Only suggestion is to reduce the black level
    of the foreground foliage because it looks misty.

    Dusk: Dramatic. Only suggestion is to increase the black level... Only
    kidding :)

    ....Arctic Circle: Another interesting shot. The horizon looks as if
    it's running down to the right much more than it actually is. This kind
    of optical illusion frequently causes a problem in my shots. The only
    way I've found to offset it is by rotating the image to compensate.


    Pete A
    I wasn't going to submit anything, but I had this idea for a theme -
    hope it isn't too morbid.


    Bob Coe
    Sorry, Bob, it's nothing personal...
    1. This one didn't work for me. I think it's mainly the angle and
    secondarily the clutter in the background.

    2. Nor this one. The flower is not sharply focused and the bright leaf
    at the bottom is distracting.

    3. Nor this one. The colours and contrast are too muddy for my liking.


    Martha Coe
    1. Plenty of interest and colour in this shot and a good balance of
    different light sources. Perhaps there's just a little too much rail
    track in the foreground.

    2. Great use of angles and shapes. Choosing the correct exposure and
    contrast for a shot like this is not easy, but you've nailed it. For
    me, there is a little too much sky at the top.

    3. I like the concept. Suggestions for improvement: redistribute the
    levels because the shadow areas are a bit muddy and the mid-tones are a
    tad dark. Reduce the amount of cyan in the roof glass because it draws
    my eye away from the pink flowers.


    Tim Conway
    Very dramatic and a great composition. Only suggestion: remove the
    halos around the dark objects.


    Paul Furman
    Superb. You didn't need the EXIF info - that lens stamps its hallmark
    on its images. Crop suggestions: remove left edge to eliminate the
    distracting bright line and similarly for the top (above the two people
    mid-left). Remove the dark object to the right of bottom-centre.


    Dan P
    1. Refreshingly different.
    2. Striking, especially with the soft red glow in the clouds towards
    the top. I would remove the white dot bottom-right and probably the
    light mark near bottom-centre.


    Otter
    Eye In Sky: One of my favourites. Minor point: I find the sky chroma
    blobs a little distracting. They can be very difficult to reduce/smooth
    in shots like this.


    Savageduck
    1. Another favourite. Suggestion: slightly darken the bright trees and
    gravel near bottom-left.
    2. Great shot and gives a sense of being there.
    3. Another great image. Can't think of any suggestions for 2 & 3.


    Alan B
    1. A realistic portrayal of the light and subdued colours at dusk. Very nice.
    2. Fantastic light and colour.
    I can't think of any suggestions.


    Peter Chant
    1. This one doesn't work for me.
    2. This one does! I particularly like your choices of colour balance
    and exposure.


    Peter N
    Lighthouse: Good shot with pleasing light and colours. Nitpick: lens
    flare and ghosting.

    Sausage and Peppers: Great fun.

    Sunset Lovers: I like it. Suggestion: the foreground rock(?) to the
    right of the bench has a distractingly sharp outline against the water,
    perhaps a bit of softening would help.
     
    Pete A, Sep 14, 2011
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Pete A

    DanP Guest

    On Wednesday, 14 September 2011 19:01:56 UTC+1, Pete A wrote:

    > Dan P
    > 1. Refreshingly different.
    > 2. Striking, especially with the soft red glow in the clouds towards
    > the top. I would remove the white dot bottom-right and probably the
    > light mark near bottom-centre.


    I limit my editing to cropping, straightening, curves and levels and gradients.
    I know those lights look distracting and is so easy to take them out but I'd rather not.

    Fair comment.


    DanP
     
    DanP, Sep 14, 2011
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Pete A

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 17:39:49 -0400, Bowser <> wrote:
    :
    : Pretty funny, nobody seems to like the "bridge" shot. Oh, well. And
    : the bokeh on the mushroom shot is, well, the product of a zoom. But I
    : liked the color of the mushrooms. This one makes really nice wallpaper.
    : Luckily I got this shot before my dog ate them.

    Can a dog eat a white amanita and live to bark about it? IIRC, a human's
    tolerance for same is usually less than one bite.

    Bob
     
    Robert Coe, Sep 15, 2011
    #3
  4. Pete A

    otter Guest

    Re: Dusk or Dawn is available mid day!

    On Sep 14, 4:39 pm, Bowser <> wrote:
    > On 9/14/2011 2:01 PM, Pete A wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > > On 2011-09-13 23:40:58 +0100, Bowser said:

    >
    > >> The Dusk or Dawn gallery is posted, and it's a very healthy gallery,
    > >> too. Some nice shots in there. Take a look, and offer a friendly
    > >> critique, if you dare.

    >
    > >>http://www.pbase.com/shootin/duskdawn

    >
    > > Plenty of variety and enjoyable images in this SI.

    >
    > > Bowser
    > > 1. Nice shot. I would prefer it if the water wasn't quite so dark at the
    > > bottom-centre.

    >
    > > 2. Awesome colours, light and textures, and a most interesting picture.
    > > On the full-sized image, I find the bokeh on the light twigs slightly
    > > distracting.

    >
    > > 3. I have a sense of unease looking at this one. The guy in the boat is
    > > pointing to it: I think it needs to show either bit more on the left or
    > > bit less.

    >
    > Pretty funny, nobody seems to like the "bridge" shot. Oh, well. And the
    > bokeh on the mushroom shot is, well, the product of a zoom. But I liked
    > the color of the mushrooms. This one makes really nice wallpaper.
    > Luckily I got this shot before my dog ate them.


    I liked the Bridge shot, but just not one of my favorites of this
    collection. I liked the colors, but it was a little busy.
     
    otter, Sep 15, 2011
    #4
  5. Pete A

    otter Guest

    Re: Dusk or Dawn is available mid day!

    On Sep 14, 1:01 pm, Pete A <> wrote:

    > Otter
    > Eye In Sky: One of my favourites. Minor point: I find the sky chroma
    > blobs a little distracting. They can be very difficult to reduce/smooth
    > in shots like this.


    I see what you mean. The final compression and sharpening when
    generating the JPEG did me in. It looks smooth on the TIFF out of
    photoshop. The JPEG is also missing some detail that is clearer in
    the TIFF. I'll need to work on that.
     
    otter, Sep 15, 2011
    #5
  6. Pete A

    otter Guest

    Re: Dusk or Dawn is available mid day!

    On Sep 15, 2:04 pm, Elliott Roper <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    >
    >
    >
    > otter <> wrote:
    > > On Sep 14, 4:39 pm, Bowser <> wrote:
    > > > On 9/14/2011 2:01 PM, Pete A wrote:

    > <snip>
    > > > Pretty funny, nobody seems to like the "bridge" shot. Oh, well. And the
    > > > bokeh on the mushroom shot is, well, the product of a zoom. But I liked
    > > > the color of the mushrooms. This one makes really nice wallpaper.
    > > > Luckily I got this shot before my dog ate them.

    >
    > > I liked the Bridge shot, but just not one of my favorites of this
    > > collection.  I liked the colors, but it was a little busy.

    >
    > The bridge shot was my favourite! So French Impressionist!
    > Savageduck's "San Simeon State Beach at dusk/Sunset, through the marine
    > layer fog" had the same lovely mood.
    >
    > What is it with water and sunset/rise? No-fail subject or what?
    >
    > Which brings me to your "SI_dusk_Otter_eye_in_sky.jpg". I loved the way
    > the boat's bow wave connected the flat distant stuff with the warm
    > light coming from the houses on the bottom right. The illusion of depth
    > in that area was so different from the rest of the picture that it kept
    > drawing my eyes back for another peep. I didn't like the purple sky
    > much, it turned it into a theatre set backdrop. I tried brushing a heap
    > of desaturation into the sky area. It certainly hurt less, but the
    > picture looked a lot less magical.
    > Mine was going to be this old one:-
    > <http://gallery.me.com/elliott_roper#100080/_MG_8298_2&bgcolor=black>
    > but when I went to Google to remind myself how to spell "Merzouga"
    > there were about 1000 almost identical pictures and I chickened out of
    > offering the SI the ultimate tourist camel clich .


    Nonsense. That's a great picture. I liked a lot of the other
    pictures on that site, too. Must have been a great trip!
     
    otter, Sep 16, 2011
    #6
  7. Pete A

    PeterN Guest

    Re: Dusk or Dawn is available mid day!

    On 9/15/2011 3:04 PM, Elliott Roper wrote:
    <snip>>
    > What is it with water and sunset/rise? No-fail subject or what?
    >
    > Which brings me to your "SI_dusk_Otter_eye_in_sky.jpg". I loved the way
    > the boat's bow wave connected the flat distant stuff with the warm
    > light coming from the houses on the bottom right. The illusion of depth
    > in that area was so different from the rest of the picture that it kept
    > drawing my eyes back for another peep. I didn't like the purple sky
    > much, it turned it into a theatre set backdrop. I tried brushing a heap
    > of desaturation into the sky area. It certainly hurt less, but the
    > picture looked a lot less magical.
    > Mine was going to be this old one:-
    > <http://gallery.me.com/elliott_roper#100080/_MG_8298_2&bgcolor=black>
    > but when I went to Google to remind myself how to spell "Merzouga"
    > there were about 1000 almost identical pictures and I chickened out of
    > offering the SI the ultimate tourist camel cliché.
    >


    Gotta yell at you for that. It is a nice image. Who cares if it was done
    thousands of times before, it's the first time you tried it. If it is a
    cliche, build on the beginning and take it to the next level.

    --
    Peter
     
    PeterN, Sep 16, 2011
    #7
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. PeterN

    Re: [SI] Dusk or Dawn is available mid day!

    PeterN, Sep 14, 2011, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    324
    PeterN
    Sep 14, 2011
  2. otter

    Re: Dusk or Dawn is available mid day!

    otter, Sep 14, 2011, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    324
    Peter Chant
    Sep 15, 2011
  3. Stuffed Crust

    Re: [SI] Dusk or Dawn is available mid day!

    Stuffed Crust, Sep 14, 2011, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    471
    Ray Fischer
    Sep 25, 2011
  4. DanP

    Re: [SI] Dusk or Dawn is available mid day!

    DanP, Sep 14, 2011, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    286
    PeterN
    Sep 14, 2011
  5. otter

    Re: Dusk or Dawn is available mid day!

    otter, Sep 15, 2011, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    52
    Views:
    1,214
    Pete A
    Feb 16, 2012
Loading...

Share This Page