Re: [SI] Doors - "The Words"

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Robert Coe, Jun 6, 2012.

  1. Robert Coe

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Mon, 4 Jun 2012 19:21:04 -0700, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
    wrote:
    : On 2012-06-04 16:16:35 -0700, SI Committee
    : <> said:
    :
    : >
    : > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/doors
    :
    : Damn! This is getting so encouraging I am just going to have to make a
    : few comments.
    :
    : Martha Coe:
    : Doors-01:
    : Nice white doors. I suspect that these belong to either a church or a
    : restaurant. It is a nice capture of the door, but I have a few
    : suggestions. I would have backed up a hair to include the boards on
    : either side of the doors, and the two rosettes above. There is also a
    : slight inverse "Keystone" effect which could be fixed with Photoshop.
    : Then there is the object in the lower right hand corner. Did you shoot
    : this from the passenger seat of your car as Bob drove by?

    No, but that's a good catch. She was leaning over somebody else's parked car
    that was very much in the way.

    : Doors-02:
    : Very nice! I like this shot with the bright blue doors contrasting with
    : the bare stone.
    : Doors-03:
    : I am a sucker for brickwork, and while the shot of the doors is
    : pleasing enough I would have liked to have seen wider margins to the
    : sides showing much more of that brickwork.

    The double door? That was mine. The brickwork wasn't that interesting, so I
    went for the stern, austere look. The brickwork was better on the building
    next door, with the iron gate and the door opening into the basement.

    : Bob Coe:
    : Doors-01:
    : Very nice. I like this with the inner door secure behind the ivy ironwork gate.

    I confess to colorizing that a bit. We saw it in the sun as we left the
    garage, but had to move on the art exhibit, as we wanted to hear a scheduled
    lecture by the curator. By the time we got back, the scene was in the shade.
    In truth, it may have been better - less contrasty. But I reddened the color a
    bit to make it less drab.

    : Doors-02:
    : Another shot I like, again with a gate, to a basement door which leaves
    : questions regarding what is behind it.
    : BTW: Is loitering at basement door a problem?

    Not where we live, I guess; but in Hartford, who can say? ;^)

    The Wyeth exhibit, BTW, consisted mostly of three of his fairly important
    paintings, accompanied by several of their preliminary "studies", and a set of
    very nice photographs by an LA-based photographer who grew up in Connecticut
    and has long been a devoted fan of Wyeth's work. He has visited many of
    Wyeth's haunts and photographed the scenes that Wyeth used in his paintings. I
    particularly liked his work because, like me, he is utterly unafraid of a
    non-Siskerized sky. (Apologies to SI newcomers, but the allusion is too
    complex to try to explain at 10:30 on the night before a workday. A workday
    with a minor photo shoot, as it happens.)

    Thanks for the kind words; we were a bit afraid we'd strike out this time.
    After we left the art exhibit, we went over to Elizabeth Park and took some
    pictures of their highly regarded rose garden. But a week too late for the
    "Close-up" mandate, of course.)

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Jun 6, 2012