Re: [SI] Doors - "The Words"

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by watchmaker, Jun 5, 2012.

  1. watchmaker

    watchmaker Guest

    Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-06-04 16:16:35 -0700, SI Committee
    > <> said:
    >

    >> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/doors

    > Mystery Shooter (Could this be Sid or Otter?):
    > Doors-01:
    > Nice B&W work of an interesting doorway. It would be great to know more
    > of the history of this place. What is truly odd is, they chose to fit a
    > fire hose connection in the bricked up doorway.
    > Doors-02:
    > Another nice B&W conversion. Great texturing, and patterns created by
    > the brickwork. Then there is the sense of mystery created by the
    > partially open roll-up. They seem to like the idea of odd pipes growing
    > from their building.

    No mystery, it's me.

    Both shots are of the former Interborough Rapid Transit generating plant
    on W57th Street and 12th Avenue in Manhattan. (The subway, currently the
    1,2,& 3 trains on the West side and the 4,5, & 6 trains on the East
    side, now that there are no longer private companies operating them)
    The only power plant ever designed by the most famous US architecture
    firm of the 19th century, McKim Meade & White. It is in one of the few
    remaining industrial areas in Manhattan.

    It is currently owned by Consolidated Edison and continues as a power plant.

    Photo 1 (IRT_Generator_Door_Leslie_lil.jpg) is a scan of a medium
    format Ilford HP5 B&W negative. They have dome interesting things to all
    the old doors to the place.

    Photo 2 (power plant door.jpg) is a B&W conversion from a digital shot.
    watchmaker, Jun 5, 2012

  2. watchmaker

    watchmaker Guest

    Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-06-05 10:29:41 -0700, watchmaker <> said:
    >
    >> Savageduck wrote:

    >>> Mystery Shooter (Could this be Sid or Otter?):
    >>> Doors-01:
    >>> Nice B&W work of an interesting doorway. It would be great to know more
    >>> of the history of this place. What is truly odd is, they chose to fit a
    >>> fire hose connection in the bricked up doorway.
    >>> Doors-02:
    >>> Another nice B&W conversion. Great texturing, and patterns created by
    >>> the brickwork. Then there is the sense of mystery created by the
    >>> partially open roll-up. They seem to like the idea of odd pipes growing
    >>> from their building.
    >>>

    >> No mystery, it's me.
    >>
    >> Both shots are of the former Interborough Rapid Transit generating
    >> plant on W57th Street and 12th Avenue in Manhattan. (The subway,
    >> currently the 1,2,& 3 trains on the West side and the 4,5, & 6 trains
    >> on the East side, now that there are no longer private companies
    >> operating them) The only power plant ever designed by the most famous
    >> US architecture firm of the 19th century, McKim Meade & White. It is
    >> in one of the few remaining industrial areas in Manhattan.
    >>
    >> It is currently owned by Consolidated Edison and continues as a power
    >> plant.
    >>
    >> Photo 1 (IRT_Generator_Door_Leslie_lil.jpg) is a scan of a medium
    >> format Ilford HP5 B&W negative. They have dome interesting things to
    >> all the old doors to the place.
    >>
    >> Photo 2 (power plant door.jpg) is a B&W conversion from a digital shot.

    > Welcome aboard!
    >
    > Well I asked for more history and I got it. As I said I liked both
    > images. The truly interesting historic fact is the Stanford White
    > connection. He was the victim of one of the most scandalous society
    > murders of the 19th century.
    >
    > Just remember, for future SI submissions it makes it easier for all to
    > ID the suspects if we stick to the SI labeling convention. In your case
    > that would have been; "Doors-Watchmaker-01". We look forward to see more
    > of your work.

    Thanks for the naming convention. I'll definitely do so next time. The
    power plant is huge, it occupies the entire block of W57th - W56th
    Streets and 11th Ave. - 12th Ave. Although there were originally 4
    smokestacks one original remains and isn't used. Instead a steel stack
    is used. What is interesting to me, and visible in the second photo, is
    that it as been in continuous use as a generating plant since 1904. Over
    the century+ it was converted from coal to oil, and from DC to AC. There
    is much of the Stanford White original facade remaining, and also
    obviously some utilitarian interventions, as architects like to say.
    watchmaker, Jun 6, 2012

  3. watchmaker

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Tue, 05 Jun 2012 13:29:41 -0400, watchmaker <>
    wrote:
    : Savageduck wrote:
    : > On 2012-06-04 16:16:35 -0700, SI Committee
    : > <> said:
    : >
    : >>
    : >> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/doors
    : >
    :
    : >
[...]

    For my money, the NY subway is one of the more interesting and entertaining
    venues I've ever visited. I wish I got to see it more. If the Watchmaker plans
    to use it as a source for Shoot-In submissions on a regular basis, I won't
    mind. :^)

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Jun 9, 2012