Re: [SI] Curves - "The 'Duck Comments"

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by PeterN, Nov 21, 2012.

  1. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 11/21/2012 2:58 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > SI Mandate: http://www.pbase.com/shootin/curve
    > ‘Duck comments:
    >

    > Peter Newman:
    > Curves-01:
    > That is a, …um, “curvey†girl, not that there is a shortage of curves at
    > that sort of event. The track curves, and there all the other curvey
    > distractions. I would have gone with a higher shutter speed, but I
    > understand that this must have been one of the first outings for the D800.

    I would have been in trouble with that shot if the mandate was
    curvacious. Yes I should have bumped the ISO.

    > Curves-02:
    > The Newmanesque image typified. A very interesting rendition, I just
    > fail to find either the car or the boat, and I suspect the curve is
    > induced by filter.

    Nope. The main curves were caused by rotating the camera. Note the
    exposure. It was hand held. I did use a slight application of the spiral
    filter to curve the curves. And, as I explained previously, I did a
    color reversal on part of the image.

    > Curves-03:
    > Simple modern. I like the simplicity of this shot with the color
    > contrast of the yellow against the various shades of grey.

    Thank you. I should tone down part of the background on the left.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Nov 21, 2012

  2. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 11/21/2012 4:48 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-11-21 13:32:55 -0800, PeterN <> said:
    >
    >> On 11/21/2012 2:58 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    >>> SI Mandate: http://www.pbase.com/shootin/curve
    >>> ‘Duck comments:
    >>>

    >>> Peter Newman:
    >>> Curves-01:
    >>> That is a, …um, “curvey†girl, not that there is a shortage of curves at
    >>> that sort of event. The track curves, and there all the other curvey
    >>> distractions. I would have gone with a higher shutter speed, but I
    >>> understand that this must have been one of the first outings for the
    >>> D800.

    >> I would have been in trouble with that shot if the mandate was
    >> curvacious. Yes I should have bumped the ISO.

    > Not so much ISO as shutter speed. You are already at 6400. just shoot
    > shutter priority at say 1/250-1/500 instead of the 1/100 of this shot.
    > You might have opened up a stop or two, but I believe you would have had
    > a "cleaner" image of the maiden on her knees.

    I was also playing with the 28 - 300 lens with a 1.4 tele-converter. If
    I had used a sharper lens, such as my 70-200, I would have had a better
    image. But that's one of the purposes of the exercise; to learn
    capabilities of equipment, and how to work around them.

    PeterN, Nov 21, 2012