Re: SI Comments

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by tony cooper, Apr 24, 2012.

  1. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 16:42:46 -0600, "Dudley Hanks"
    <> wrote:

    >While it's a bit tough coming up with a critique of visual images on my own,
    >I chatted with a few friends and asked for discriptions of their faves.
    >
    >From the discriptions given me, I'd like to offer the following comments:
    >
    >SD's pic of the school set against rolling hills sounds interesting. I'm
    >not sure what affect you were shooting for, but it sounds like you succeeded
    >in nicely juxtaposing the more graceful, natural lines of this world against
    >the more strict, straight-edged order humans tend to impose. Nice job.
    >
    >In the bowl of fruit, it sounds like you did some cool work to get the green
    >colour in the center to pop out.
    >
    >There was another picture that sounded interesting, but I couldn't find out
    >who shot it. It's of some cards on a table, a wine glass, etc. The image
    >of the cards seems to be distorted by the light refracted through the glass.
    >Perhaps a statement about human susceptebility?
    >
    >When it comes to picking a fave, keep in mind that I'm basing my pick on
    >discriptions given me and not the actual perception of the images. Still,
    >one should also keep in mind that the descriptions offered would reflect the
    >interest / enthusiasm generated by the various images in those I chatted
    >with.
    >
    >Now, from those descriptions, I'd have to say that Tony's pics caught my
    >attention the most.
    >
    >His abstract of the pinwheel comes across a lot like a Jackson Pollock
    >painting, with lots of colour but nothing central to grab and hold the
    >attention.

    I'm a novice at abstract, but under the impression that an abstract
    doesn't need a central point of interest.

    >But, I have to give the #1 spot to the pic of the doll. It comes across a
    >bit creepy, like something out of a nightmare, and definitely an image to
    >grab the viewer's interest and hold it.

    Thank you. The image was shot of a doll in the window of a closed
    antique shop, so the lens was pressed up against the window.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Apr 24, 2012

  2. tony cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 4/23/2012 10:14 PM, tony cooper wrote:
    > On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 16:42:46 -0600, "Dudley Hanks"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> While it's a bit tough coming up with a critique of visual images on my own,
    >> I chatted with a few friends and asked for discriptions of their faves.
    >>
    >> From the discriptions given me, I'd like to offer the following comments:
    >>
    >> SD's pic of the school set against rolling hills sounds interesting. I'm
    >> not sure what affect you were shooting for, but it sounds like you succeeded
    >> in nicely juxtaposing the more graceful, natural lines of this world against
    >> the more strict, straight-edged order humans tend to impose. Nice job.
    >>
    >> In the bowl of fruit, it sounds like you did some cool work to get the green
    >> colour in the center to pop out.
    >>
    >> There was another picture that sounded interesting, but I couldn't find out
    >> who shot it. It's of some cards on a table, a wine glass, etc. The image
    >> of the cards seems to be distorted by the light refracted through the glass.
    >> Perhaps a statement about human susceptebility?
    >>
    >> When it comes to picking a fave, keep in mind that I'm basing my pick on
    >> discriptions given me and not the actual perception of the images. Still,
    >> one should also keep in mind that the descriptions offered would reflect the
    >> interest / enthusiasm generated by the various images in those I chatted
    >> with.
    >>
    >> Now, from those descriptions, I'd have to say that Tony's pics caught my
    >> attention the most.
    >>
    >> His abstract of the pinwheel comes across a lot like a Jackson Pollock
    >> painting, with lots of colour but nothing central to grab and hold the
    >> attention.

    > I'm a novice at abstract, but under the impression that an abstract
    > doesn't need a central point of interest.

    Agreed. The abstract itself should hold the interest.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Apr 26, 2012