Re: [SI] <> Closeup/macro comments <>

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by PeterN, Jun 9, 2012.

  1. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 6/2/2012 2:54 PM, Alan Browne wrote:

    <snip>

    > Peter Newman
    > Dahlia http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/143651937
    > Brilliant, saturated colours. A little soft or blurred. Red frame is
    > crappy looking. BG exclusion works well.
    >
    > Orchid http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/143651945
    > Great colour and detail in the "throat". Black areas are distracting.
    > Speckled look is a bit off putting.
    >
    > Dahlia http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/143671026
    > Great colour, contrast and saturation. A bit blurry looking. Nice
    > isolation.

    Thanks for your comments.

    I am concerned about the sharpness question you raise. Yes I posted
    images @ 72 DPI set to medium quality. To my eyes the images look sharp.
    I'm now wondering if there is an issue with my monitor, eyesight or both.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Jun 9, 2012

  2. PeterN

    tony cooper Guest

    On Fri, 08 Jun 2012 19:51:58 -0400, PeterN
    <> wrote:

    >On 6/2/2012 2:54 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
    >>

    ><snip>
    >

    >> Peter Newman
    >> Dahlia http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/143651937
    >> Brilliant, saturated colours. A little soft or blurred. Red frame is
    >> crappy looking. BG exclusion works well.
    >>
    >> Orchid http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/143651945
    >> Great colour and detail in the "throat". Black areas are distracting.
    >> Speckled look is a bit off putting.
    >>
    >> Dahlia http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/143671026
    >> Great colour, contrast and saturation. A bit blurry looking. Nice
    >> isolation.
    >>

    >Thanks for your comments.
    >
    >I am concerned about the sharpness question you raise. Yes I posted
    >images @ 72 DPI set to medium quality. To my eyes the images look sharp.
    >I'm now wondering if there is an issue with my monitor, eyesight or both.

    There is a softness in Dahlia #1 as far as the edges of the petals,
    but not a softness that detracts from the image. In fact, it
    contributes to the image. I don't think that edge-sharp would improve
    it.

    Dahlia #2 is too small to tell much. The center yellow part is
    out-of-focus, but the detail in the petals is excellent.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Jun 9, 2012

  3. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 6/8/2012 8:41 PM, tony cooper wrote:
    > On Fri, 08 Jun 2012 19:51:58 -0400, PeterN
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 6/2/2012 2:54 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
    >>>

    >> <snip>
    >>

    >>> Peter Newman
    >>> Dahlia http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/143651937
    >>> Brilliant, saturated colours. A little soft or blurred. Red frame is
    >>> crappy looking. BG exclusion works well.
    >>>
    >>> Orchid http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/143651945
    >>> Great colour and detail in the "throat". Black areas are distracting.
    >>> Speckled look is a bit off putting.
    >>>
    >>> Dahlia http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/143671026
    >>> Great colour, contrast and saturation. A bit blurry looking. Nice
    >>> isolation.
    >>>

    >> Thanks for your comments.
    >>
    >> I am concerned about the sharpness question you raise. Yes I posted
    >> images @ 72 DPI set to medium quality. To my eyes the images look sharp.
    >> I'm now wondering if there is an issue with my monitor, eyesight or both.

    > There is a softness in Dahlia #1 as far as the edges of the petals,
    > but not a softness that detracts from the image. In fact, it
    > contributes to the image. I don't think that edge-sharp would improve
    > it.
    >
    > Dahlia #2 is too small to tell much. The center yellow part is
    > out-of-focus, but the detail in the petals is excellent.

    Thanks,

    Just to be clear, is what you call #1 the dahlia my title #144?

    I focused on the center of the petals on both images.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Jun 10, 2012
  4. PeterN

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sat, 09 Jun 2012 19:23:27 -0400, PeterN
    <> wrote:

    >On 6/8/2012 8:41 PM, tony cooper wrote:
    >> On Fri, 08 Jun 2012 19:51:58 -0400, PeterN
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 6/2/2012 2:54 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
    >>>>
    >>> <snip>

    >>> Thanks for your comments.
    >>>
    >>> I am concerned about the sharpness question you raise. Yes I posted
    >>> images @ 72 DPI set to medium quality. To my eyes the images look sharp.
    >>> I'm now wondering if there is an issue with my monitor, eyesight or both.

    >> There is a softness in Dahlia #1 as far as the edges of the petals,
    >> but not a softness that detracts from the image. In fact, it
    >> contributes to the image. I don't think that edge-sharp would improve
    >> it.
    >>
    >> Dahlia #2 is too small to tell much. The center yellow part is
    >> out-of-focus, but the detail in the petals is excellent.
    >>

    >Thanks,
    >
    >Just to be clear, is what you call #1 the dahlia my title #144?
    >
    >I focused on the center of the petals on both images.

    Dahlia #1 = #144
    Dahlia #2 = #145

    Focus is always important in a shot, but all images don't require
    everything to be in sharp focus. In #144, I take in the color and the
    general impression and don't see the petal edges to be a key factor.

    I'll repeat that the border was a mistake. I'm not big on that "draws
    the eye" bullshit, but in this case that border just pulls the eye
    away from what you want us to see. It jumps out at me peripherally.

    I do like borders on images and use a 5 pixel one on all of my images.
    With the PBase black background, the border contains the image
    ....especially when the image has a black or a dark surround. I
    sometimes use color, but try to avoid a color that makes the border
    too prominent.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Jun 10, 2012