Re: [SI] <> Closeup/macro comments <>

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by tony cooper, Jun 2, 2012.

  1. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sat, 02 Jun 2012 14:54:41 -0400, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:

    > Dodge Brothers: http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/143651894
    >Nice shot, I esp. like the 'squiggle' at the top right. This badge
    >prompted me to look if the Dodge brothers were Jewish or Mormon - but I
    >couldn't find such a link. They just like the "Star of David" form, I
    >guess. (One triangle per brother, perhaps?). Only the lower right of
    >this image is a bit of a downer.

    I was intrigued by this because I see it as a Star of David and it
    doesn't make sense to me for an automaker to attempt to appeal to any
    particular religious group. Besides, all the Jewish doctors drove
    Packards when I was growing up.

    This site offers some possibilities:

    http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/dodge-logos.php where it says:

    The Dodge Brothers Club's FAQ states that the symbol was not chosen to
    anger Henry Ford, and goes on to say that "At the time the emblem was
    selected (most likely 1912-1914) it's likely that the Dodge brothers
    were unaware of its use in Judiasm. In fact, at this time, that symbol
    was not used universally in this context." It suggests these
    possibilities, among others:

    1. These are two interlocking Greek letter "deltas" or "Ds" for the
    two Dodge brothers

    2. A medieval symbol of mysticism and the joining of mind and body; in
    this case representing the joining of two brothers, who were very
    close, in this business venture (allegedly, letters addressed to just
    one of them would be discarded).

    3. An abstraction of the square and compass of the Freemasons (this
    seems unlikely as well).

    4. Nothing more or less than a badge with six pointed star similar to
    those used for law-enforcement officer's badges, some outlined with
    triangles. Sheriff, Marshall, and police badges frequently wore six
    pointed stars. The old-west Dodge City badge had six points. Horace
    Dodge was said to enjoy accompanying local law-enforcement officers on
    their runs.

    The Dodge Brothers Club News editor wrote that "emblem is also a
    "Solomon’s Seal" sign of interconnected spirits, as the brothers
    were."

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Jun 2, 2012