Re: [SI] Call for mandates

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Richard, Jan 2, 2011.

  1. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Bowser wrote:
    > OK, we've had a few suggestions in the past, like "abstract," but we
    > need more suggestions. Here's a thought: raid DP Review. Take a look
    > at some recent challenges over there, pick a few that we can use here,
    > and suggest them. Ready, set, go....
    >

    > (...theme from Jeopardy plays in the background...)

    How about providing a mediocre image for download which could then be
    improved (or otherwise) and submitted?

    Richard

    Richard, Jan 2, 2011

  2. Richard

    Whisky-dave Guest

    Re: Call for mandates

    On Jan 4, 8:04 pm, Paul Furman <> wrote:
    > Bowser wrote:
    > > "Richard" wrote:

    > >> How about providing a mediocre image for download which could then be
    > >> improved (or otherwise) and submitted?

    > > Interesting. Do you see this as an exercise to try and reshoot the shot
    > > or modify via Photoshop (or whatever...)?

    > The rulz have always de-emphasized post processing but I guess that's
    > just excessive post-processing.

    But it would make an interesting mandate in that only post processing
    (pp) can be used.
    i.e say Bowser upload a really boring image, then participants
    download it and
    manipulated it as they see fit with the aim of making it a better or
    more interesting picture
    without changing the subject matter.
    So the (pp) rulz for this wouldn't apply

    Whisky-dave, Jan 5, 2011

  3. Richard

    Richard Guest

    "Bowser" <> wrote in message

    > "Richard" wrote in message
    >
    > Bowser wrote:
    >> OK, we've had a few suggestions in the past, like "abstract," but we
    >> need more suggestions. Here's a thought: raid DP Review. Take a look
    >> at some recent challenges over there, pick a few that we can use here,
    >> and suggest them. Ready, set, go....
    >>

    >> (...theme from Jeopardy plays in the background...)

    > How about providing a mediocre image for download which could then be
    > improved (or otherwise) and submitted?

    > Interesting. Do you see this as an exercise to try and reshoot the shot or
    > modify via Photoshop (or whatever...)?

    Well, I've been out of action for a while and see that the mandates have
    already been decided.

    Anyway, my thinking was along the lines of participants doing the post
    processing which they feel would improve an image. We all interpret things
    differently so the results should be interesting. Using a common image
    ensures that everyone has access to the scene (be it landscape, portrait
    etc.). Processing would be limited to cropping, levels, saturation and such
    like. No additional elements from other images to be inserted. Just like
    Whisky-dave suggests.
    Image could even be from somewhere online so as not to offend the
    sensitivities of anyone here :)

    Richard

    Richard, Jan 8, 2011
  4. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Alan Browne wrote:
    > On 11.01.02 10:59 , Richard wrote:
    >> Bowser wrote:
    >>> OK, we've had a few suggestions in the past, like "abstract," but we
    >>> need more suggestions. Here's a thought: raid DP Review. Take a look
    >>> at some recent challenges over there, pick a few that we can use
    >>> here, and suggest them. Ready, set, go....
    >>>

    >>> (...theme from Jeopardy plays in the background...)

    >> How about providing a mediocre image for download which could then be
    >> improved (or otherwise) and submitted?

    > "Participants will endeavor to make a photo that is connected to the
    > mandate. Interpretation, reaction, illustration, whatever. Connected. To
    > fully participate in the shoot-in is to create a new
    > photo to the mandate."
    > Lisa Horton, 2003.08.29
    > SI Founder.
    >
    > And while the rulz have changed over time in several ways, it has
    > been, and should remain an exercise in photography, IMO.

    OK. I'll STFU then.

    Richard, Jan 8, 2011
  5. Richard

    John A. Guest

    On Sat, 08 Jan 2011 08:46:35 -0500, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:

    >On 11.01.02 10:59 , Richard wrote:
    >> Bowser wrote:
    >>> OK, we've had a few suggestions in the past, like "abstract," but we
    >>> need more suggestions. Here's a thought: raid DP Review. Take a look
    >>> at some recent challenges over there, pick a few that we can use here,
    >>> and suggest them. Ready, set, go....
    >>>

    >>> (...theme from Jeopardy plays in the background...)

    >> How about providing a mediocre image for download which could then be
    >> improved (or otherwise) and submitted?

    >"Participants will endeavor to make a photo that is connected to the
    >mandate. Interpretation, reaction, illustration, whatever. Connected.
    >To fully participate in the shoot-in is to create a new photo to the
    >mandate."
    > Lisa Horton, 2003.08.29
    > SI Founder.
    >
    >And while the rulz have changed over time in several ways, it has been,
    >and should remain an exercise in photography, IMO.

    How about a follow-the-leader mandate, then? Post an example shot, and
    everyone's submissions must be clearly inspired by it, whether it be
    by recreating the original (with some detectable variation, of course
    :) ), exploring a secondary subject from the background, showing what
    happened next, or even just a couple shots that would go with it in a
    triptych, etc.

    Heck, the example wouldn't even have to be a photo.

    John A., Jan 8, 2011