Re: Shuttle AK32E boot problem

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Baron, Jun 28, 2008.

  1. Baron

    Baron Guest

    Kyote <kyote_love_at_no_spam_hotmail_dot_com> wrote:

> [...]
    > pulled the drive and it's jumper was set for cable select. I changed
    > it to master and tried to boot up. No go. I ened up formatting and
    > reinstalling windows xp. It was now set as the mast drive but now it
    > would not recognize my main dvd burner and being installed in the
    > system. It's a plextor and I love the thing so I got sorried thinking
    > after all these years it had finally crapped out on me. So I put it in
    > my new system my brother had given me, which is where it was before I
    > put it in my backup, and everything was fine.
    >
    > I was starting to lose patience so I decided, screw it, I'll use the
    > computer my uncle gave me as my backup since it also has a brand new
    > dvd burner and a dvd-ram drive in it already. But even though
    > everythign seemed ok with it, there was a problem. I wont get into
    > that in this post. I plan on asking for all of your expertise with
    > that once we figureo ut whats wrong with my shuttle AK32E system
    > first.
    >
    > when I dicovered there was a problem with my Uncle's gift i decided to
    > knuckle down and fix my old reliable Shuttle system.
    >
    > Now to the problem:
    >
    > Problem
    > -----------------------
    > I turned it on and got the apology about an improper shut down and I
    > chose normal startup. It showed the bar on the bottom(progress
    > indicator) and it moved all the way to the far right, then stopped.
    > After a few minutes I powered it down and retried. Same thing. So I
    > thought maybe the hard drive was having trouble. I removed the hard
    > drive from my another working computer, put it in, and got the exact
    > same thing. That showed me it was not the hard drive. Also, no posting
    > error beeps what so ever. I rebooted and went into the bios, loaded
    > the defaults and only changed it to recognize a usb keyboard and got
    > the same thing. The ram was being calculated, but I thought maybe,
    > just maybe... so I took one stick out at a time and and each was still
    > calculated ok, but got the same thing.
    >
    > Also, if I remove the jumper from the hard drive and detach the only
    > other drive, cd-rom, it acts like there is no hard disk at all and
    > gives me the failure to boot message, about the drive missing.
    >
    > Oh, and I even tried clearing the CMOS in case it somehow got
    > corrupted. But that didn't change anything what so ever either.
    >
    > -----------------------
    > Ok, thats about it. I'm sorry for being so long winded on the
    > description. But I figured if you knew everything I had tried up until
    > now you'd be better informed on what I might have over looked. And I'm
    > hoping like crazy that I'm overlooking something. Because if not it's
    > beginning to look to me as if the Primary IDE channel is shot.
    >
    > Can anyone think of something that might be causing the problem? I'll
    > try just about anything. I'm familiar enough with computers to know
    > that if I overlook 1 little tiny thing it can cause a problem. So

    Your post raises a number of questions, not least, did you take anti
    static precautions when your were playing about inside ? And did you
    make sure that there was no power on the mainboard before removing
    components ?

    Re "Cable Select" The advantage of using "Cable Select" settings is
    that you do not have to worry about master/slave relationships. The
    mainboard could'nt care less about which channel you choose for the
    drives. As to a drive appearing as a slave without a master suggests
    that either, the cable is faulty or the device is not connected at the
    end of the cable ! Which would normally be the master !

    As far as testing the mainboard is concerned, you should be able to see
    the BIOS screen without any drives connected at all. All that is
    needed is video card, CPU and RAM. Of course the PSU should be fully
    functioning and you do need the heatsink/fan on the CPU as well. It
    doesn't matter if the video is on board.

    Good Luck. Let us know how you get on.

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

    Baron, Jun 28, 2008

  2. Baron

    Baron Guest

    Kyote <kyote_love_at_no_spam_hotmail_dot_com> wrote:

    > On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 14:13:14 +0100, Baron
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Your post raises a number of questions, not least, did you take anti
    >>static precautions when your were playing about inside ? And did you
    >>make sure that there was no power on the mainboard before removing
    >>components ?

    > No I did not take anti-static precautions. Reason being my floor is
    > concrete with a linoleum overlay. I walk around barefoot all the time
    > and for the last 2.5 yrs I've lived here I've never ever felt a static
    > discharge when touching anything. Not ever.

    With all due respect you would never feel anything at the voltages that
    can cause damage. However I take your point.

    >>Re "Cable Select" The advantage of using "Cable Select" settings is
    >>that you do not have to worry about master/slave relationships. The
    >>mainboard could'nt care less about which channel you choose for the
    >>drives. As to a drive appearing as a slave without a master suggests
    >>that either, the cable is faulty or the device is not connected at the
    >>end of the cable ! Which would normally be the master !

    > I was using a cable that only had 2 connectors, at the time. one for
    > the Mobo the other for the drive. It was an 80 wire cable that also
    > has the notches to prevent hooking it up backwards.

    A cable with only two connectors can support either a master or a
    slave ! It wouldn't normally be used with cable select, although it
    wouldn't cause any damage.

    >>As far as testing the mainboard is concerned, you should be able to
    >>see the BIOS screen without any drives connected at all. All that is
    >>needed is video card, CPU and RAM. Of course the PSU should be fully
    >>functioning and you do need the heatsink/fan on the CPU as well. It
    >>doesn't matter if the video is on board.

    > I disconnected everything after changing the bios setting so it didn't
    > skip the tests. The only problem it found was no hard drive, which was
    > to be expected, since none was currently plugged in.

    That sounds normal to me. The HDD could have died ! When you connect a
    HDD did you tell the BIOS to Auto Detect it ? It should and then you
    should be able to use "fdisk" to see it. That will tell you what
    partitions and type are on the drive.

    >>Good Luck. Let us know how you get on.

    > As to the static thing, I guess it is possible that something of that
    > nature happened even though it hasn't ever occurred before and the
    > other reasons I explained above. But I would think there would still
    > be some kind of error.

    See above.

    > The screen comes up that lists all drives and PCI devices and nothing
    > shows as out of the ordinary. Although I have to say I've never sat
    > down and copied everything on that screen from when it worked fine.
    > Also, in the BIOS under PC Health everything reads normal.

    That all sounds right !

    > Thank you for the idea's. The static thing never rued to me. So if it
    > went bad it could conceivably be because of that. But I'm going to
    > work on the presumption that that is not the case, otherwise I'd get
    > some type of error.
    >
    > Please, any more idea's?

    Let's know what you find.

    --