Re: Shutter Lag

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Paul Rubin, Aug 5, 2003.

  1. Paul Rubin

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "Whitespc" <> writes:
    > I have a new Canon Elph S400 (4.0 megapixels). I purchased a 256 mb card
    > and it was the type that was supposedly "faster".
    >
    > I find that when I take pictures in dark environments or indoors, I
    > experience extreme shutter lag or something similar. I alway's push the
    > shutter button halfway and then I find that when I push it all the way down,
    > the picture can take upwards of a second or more...... what can I do to
    > minimize this?


    The lag is caused by AF delay. The AF is slow in the best conditions
    and much worse in the dark. If you press the button halfway down and
    wait-wait-wait-wait until the AF is ready (may take a second or two),
    then you should be able to press it the rest of the way down and get
    the shot with very little lag.

    Unfortunately almost all consumer digicams have the exact same
    problem. You've discovered one of the scandals of digital
    photography.
     
    Paul Rubin, Aug 5, 2003
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Paul Rubin

    borge Guest

    On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 18:00:40 +0200, Hans-Georg Michna
    <> wrote:

    >Paul Rubin <http://> wrote:
    >
    >>"Whitespc" <> writes:

    >
    >>> I have a new Canon Elph S400 (4.0 megapixels). I purchased a 256 mb card
    >>> and it was the type that was supposedly "faster".
    >>>
    >>> I find that when I take pictures in dark environments or indoors, I
    >>> experience extreme shutter lag or something similar. I alway's push the
    >>> shutter button halfway and then I find that when I push it all the way down,
    >>> the picture can take upwards of a second or more...... what can I do to
    >>> minimize this?

    >
    >>The lag is caused by AF delay. The AF is slow in the best conditions
    >>and much worse in the dark. If you press the button halfway down and
    >>wait-wait-wait-wait until the AF is ready (may take a second or two),
    >>then you should be able to press it the rest of the way down and get
    >>the shot with very little lag.
    >>
    >>Unfortunately almost all consumer digicams have the exact same
    >>problem. You've discovered one of the scandals of digital
    >>photography.

    >
    >Paul,
    >
    >I was just going to write the very same thing when I stumbled
    >over your message. I think you are exactly right, particularly
    >because Whitespc complained that this happens when it's dark.
    >Apparently the autofocus doesn't work as quickly or not at all
    >in the dark.
    >
    >So I just want to underline what you wrote.
    >
    >Hans-Georg

    I have the same trouble when I use the Pentax Optio. Coming from the
    Olympus 2100 with the infrared beam, it was a pain - until I found
    that the Optio on manual focus goes from 3 to infinity with no change
    to the lens. Now I have set the memory to come from start at infinity
    and set the focus to manual - one click and I have the photo once the
    subject is more than 3 meters away - that is of course on wide angle.
    No delay.

    I am getting quite good at estimating the distance of a 6 foot fellow
    laid end to end with a dwarf.

    For your information, my stats are:
    Win 2000, Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz
    1 Gb memory,ADSL
    80+40 GB of disc space,Oly C2100 & Optio S
    Borge Pedersen :)
    Perth, Australia
    mailto:
    remove SPAM for email
     
    borge, Aug 7, 2003
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. "Marcia Beinhauer" <> wrote:

    >One of the many aspects of the Canon 400 that I love is that, once focussed,
    >it has practically no appreciable shutter lag. If you want to experience
    >real shutter lag, try an Olympus 3030! I get action shots with the 400, and
    >movement is frozen.


    Marcia,

    actually, one of the more interesting designs was one camera
    that actually had a negative shutter lag. Forgot which.

    Now, before you laugh, think.

    I wish my camera had that, but they've stopped doing that,
    because it's technically a bit difficult.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.
     
    Hans-Georg Michna, Aug 7, 2003
    #3
  4. "Hans-Georg Michna" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > "Marcia Beinhauer" <> wrote:
    >
    > >One of the many aspects of the Canon 400 that I love is that, once

    focussed,
    > >it has practically no appreciable shutter lag. If you want to experience
    > >real shutter lag, try an Olympus 3030! I get action shots with the 400,

    and
    > >movement is frozen.


    I think she may be referring to "slow shutter", rather than shutter lag,
    which is the time elapsed between depressing the button and image capture.


    > Marcia,
    >
    > actually, one of the more interesting designs was one camera
    > that actually had a negative shutter lag. Forgot which.


    I remember Steven Wright mentioning a time when he put instant coffee in the
    microwave and almost went back in time.

    Juan
     
    Juan R. Pollo, Aug 7, 2003
    #4
  5. "Juan R. Pollo" <> wrote:

    >I think she may be referring to "slow shutter", rather than shutter lag,
    >which is the time elapsed between depressing the button and image capture.


    Juan,

    the time elapsed between depressing the button and image capture
    is shutter lag, assumed that other things are out of the way,
    like autofocus.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.
     
    Hans-Georg Michna, Aug 7, 2003
    #5
  6. I agree. It was her reference to "I get action shots with the 400, and
    movement is frozen." that led me to believe that perhaps there was a
    confusion.

    Juan

    "Hans-Georg Michna" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > "Juan R. Pollo" <> wrote:
    >
    > >I think she may be referring to "slow shutter", rather than shutter lag,
    > >which is the time elapsed between depressing the button and image

    capture.
    >
    > Juan,
    >
    > the time elapsed between depressing the button and image capture
    > is shutter lag, assumed that other things are out of the way,
    > like autofocus.
    >
    > Hans-Georg
    >
    > --
    > No mail, please.
     
    Juan R. Pollo, Aug 7, 2003
    #6
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Spiderman

    shutter time lag

    Spiderman, Jul 24, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    20
    Views:
    1,431
    Patrick L.
    Jul 26, 2003
  2. Dreamer

    Re: Shutter Lag

    Dreamer, Aug 5, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    539
    Ian Stirling
    Aug 5, 2003
  3. Juan R. Pollo

    Re: Shutter Lag

    Juan R. Pollo, Aug 5, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    430
    Paul Rubin
    Aug 5, 2003
  4. Geary

    shutter lag on nikon coolpixs

    Geary, Aug 17, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    424
  5. red406

    coolpix 5700 shutter lag

    red406, Aug 25, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    587
    Frank ess
    Aug 26, 2003
Loading...

Share This Page