Re: Shutter Lag

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Juan R. Pollo, Aug 5, 2003.

  1. I've found that the image is captured pretty darn close to when you fully
    depress the button, regardless of any indicators staying flashing
    afterwards. I recently caught a dog catching a ball in midair twice in two
    tries, at the time I thought I was wasting my time because I had no idea
    when the shutter was tripping. Now that I think of it, I did have a manual
    exposure setting at the time and set the focus before snapping the pics.

    Juan

    "Whitespc" <> wrote in message
    > I have a new Canon Elph S400 (4.0 megapixels). I purchased a 256 mb card
    > and it was the type that was supposedly "faster".
    >
    > I find that when I take pictures in dark environments or indoors, I
    > experience extreme shutter lag or something similar. I alway's push the
    > shutter button halfway and then I find that when I push it all the way

    down,

    Juan R. Pollo, Aug 5, 2003

  2. Juan R. Pollo

    Dreamer Guest

    "Juan R. Pollo" <> wrote in message
    > I've found that the image is captured pretty darn close to when you fully
    > depress the button, regardless of any indicators staying flashing
    > afterwards.

    The indicator flashing afterwards usually means "writing to flash card" and
    has some bearing on when you can take your *next* shot.

    I recently caught a dog catching a ball in midair twice in two
    > tries, at the time I thought I was wasting my time because I had no idea
    > when the shutter was tripping. Now that I think of it, I did have a manual
    > exposure setting at the time and set the focus before snapping the pics.

    And it was pretty darn fast, wasn't it! I love it when things work the way
    they're supposed to.

    Dreamer, Aug 5, 2003

  3. Juan R. Pollo

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "Dreamer" <> writes:
    > The indicator flashing afterwards usually means "writing to flash card" and
    > has some bearing on when you can take your *next* shot.

    Not on my S100 and probably not on the S400. On the S100 at least,
    there's some ram buffer, so you can shoot while the write-to-flash
    light is blinking. If you do that, you can see the light will keep
    blinking for a little longer, since there's more stuff buffered up
    that needs writing. The S100 can buffer about 3 frames in the highest
    res, lowest compression mode. In high-res, normal compression,
    it can buffer maybe 7 frames.

    Paul Rubin, Aug 5, 2003